1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nintendo Switch

Discussion in 'Games' started by Jalapeno, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Jalapeno

Jalapeno MOBAs FTW! Club Member

TimmyDUBs likes this.
  2. TimmyDUBs

TimmyDUBs Dirty haole Club Member

Well that looks fun

3. Highlander

Highlander Club Member Club Member

I'm trying to figure out why they are tipping their hand almost 6 months before the release. My guess is they ran in to bugs or production issues and couldn't get it out for the holiday season.

4. Jalapeno

They only started pre-production a few months ago. The reason for the delay is so they have more software ready for the Switch. They announced the Switch originally as the NX last year.

Given that Nintendo is a trailblazer of sorts when it comes to playing games, I'd not rule out Sony having an Vita successor. Japanese gamers are highly mobile and Japan is Nintendo's home country. The original PSP could be considered to be the first such hybrid since it could connect to a TV using cables.

The wonderful thing about the Switch is that Nintendo will be making games for one unified platform instead of one mobile platform and one home console platform. Nintendo will be able to easily increase the output of games instead of spreading it among several systems.

5. Highlander

Highlander Club Member Club Member

I think it's pretty cool. I just would have held the deep use case examples for 30 days before launch so I don't give Sony or Microsoft that much time to react. It's clearly not a super high spec device, which will make the cost much less. I could see picking one up for the girls at some point. I really like the single platform for the big screen and on the go. That's better than two devices as long as it is "good enough".

TDforTD likes this.
  6. Matt

Matt Nerd Drone Pilot Club Member

Wonder if the specs will suck where 3rd party developers ignore it. Wonder if mobile phone game makers will be jumping all over it. Interesting device, not for me though.

7. Jalapeno

Understood and I would think that would be a good idea in this case where Nintendo didn't reveal the device until 30 days before launch. They will have demo units up and running in February (edit: I said November but it is February)

I have the original Zelda, Zelda II, 3 GameBoy Zelda games, both N64 Zelda games, and the 3DS game that is based on the SNES version on my 2DS. I have both Wii versions plus the SNES version of Zelda on the Wii. That's 11 Zelda games with two more 3DS Zelda games plus two DS Zelda games that would be playable on my 2DS. The only Zelda game I might not get for awhile would be the GameCube version but I suspect that will be ported to the Switch. There will be many GameCube, Wii, and Wii U game ports as well.

I can only imagine the output of games that Nintendo would do with one platform. Still many unanswered questions about the device especially the Virtual Console but given that the mini-NES is coming out on November 11, I'm not so sure about the Virtual Console plans.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  8. Jalapeno

I have noticed that Nintendo's games do not require those high end specs and they still look good. The Switch was previously rumored to have a custom Android OS and from what I have read, mobile games found on iOS & Android devices will be able to be played on the Shield. I'm not sure if it's possible to compare graphics on an ARM SoC versus a x86 Soc like the XB1 & PS4s are based on. The latest Nvidia Tegra X2 ARM SoC has 256 CUDA cores when it comes to the graphics side of things while the Tegra K1 SoC had 192 CUDA cores hence its $192.00 pricetag for the Jetson K1 dev kit.

9. BuffLuKe

BuffLuKe Club Member Club Member

****, I hope my son doesn't know about this yet. My guess is he has already. Wonder if it'll have a college football game and tecmo bowl? I'd buy it then. Mario Bros would be cool too.

10. TDforTD

TDforTD Club Member Club Member

My buddy sent me that lol. Sounds like they have pretty good developer support. Battery life and keeping the price under $300 are the biggest concerns I've been reading about.

11. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

ummmm. I'm skeptical.

12. Jalapeno

College football would be epic.

13. Jalapeno

Much better than the Wii U support when it was first unveiled. NBA 2K17 looks like it will be on the Switch. I'm curious about Madden and other sports. Even Elder Scrolls: Skyruim was shown running on that thing.

Rumored retail prices are $299.99 for the Switch and $399.99 for a bundle.

14. Jalapeno

Still fired up about the Switch. I haven't bought a XB1 & PS4 to date and given the number of games that is available on Steam, I'm moving away from home consoles. The only reason I would buy a home console would be if NCAA football is revived and not available on the Switch or EA's Origin platform on the PC.

Basically it's Nintendo, PC, iOS, Android, and FireOS going forward for me.

And doesn't NBA 2K17 have about ten NCAA basketball teams?

15. BuffLuKe

I knew it, picked my son after school and showed him that clip about it. He said, " dad this is the Nintendo Switch video." I said, "knew it, get your ass outta here lol."

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
    Jalapeno and TDforTD like this.
  16. Jalapeno

Nintendo will have an online presentation tomorrow evening at about 9 PM. A good thing to check into after the MBB game.

17. KyleM.

KyleM. Recruiting Moderator Club Member

Switch looks cool, interested to see it. Just got a "New" 3DS XL for cheap on eBay. Going to hack it for my kid. And by kid I mean for myself.

TimmyDUBs likes this.
  18. Jalapeno

I'm definitely getting the Switch. The games might seem more aimed for the Japanese gaming market but they are a Japanese company. Japanese people seem to game more on the go. There's some games I'm planning on getting:

Super Mario Odyssey
    Ultra Street Fighter 2
    Super Bomberman R
    Sonic Mania
    NBA 2K18
    Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

There are games such as Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Elder Scrolls V, Dragon Quest, etc that are RPGs which rule the land in Japan. Just imagine playing Breath of Wild while on the go.

TimmyDUBs likes this.
  19. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

Not my cup of tea, but hope anyone who buys it likes it!

20. BuffLuKe

Mario Kart is fun and some others listed. Please get us some football with this thing.

21. KyleM.

KyleM. Recruiting Moderator Club Member

Sounds like it'll be hard to get a hold of, typical Nintendo release crap. Took forever to hack that 3ds, but I'm in business.

22. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

Good product for the right consumer. I am not one of those consumers.

23. TimmyDUBs

TimmyDUBs Dirty haole Club Member

If you pre order will you get it right away? I am way to busy to get a new system, but I am intrigued.

24. Jalapeno

Yes if the store keeps the pre-order. GameStop had to cancel some of those pre-orders. You might want to ask GameStop or other retailers when the second and third shipment preorders would occur in this case.

25. Jalapeno

EA Sports' reps at the Switch unveil last month seemed confused & nervous...and they only announced FIFA for that device.

Maybe Axis Football will end up there and they have two games on Steam. I have the first one and will get the second one. The improvement from 15 to 16 was very noticeable. Dev said that the $20.00 was going to be used for improving the game and he seems to have backed his word up. I can only imagine how much more improvement the game will have for 17.

And some early 17 videos:

26. BuffLuKe

I don't know whether to laugh or cry with that clip.

27. Matt

Matt Nerd Drone Pilot Club Member

28. Jalapeno

Didn't see the video due to an error. BTW, I'm not getting a Switch since it appears that PC gaming the path I have chosen. I wish Nintendo luck with the Switch.

29. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

You have ascended. You've made a wise choice

Jalapeno likes this.
  30. Jalapeno

I wish I made that move sooner for sure. AND...the PC is also getting a Zelda BoTW like game: