1. Allbuffs will be having an outage this weekend starting on Friday night and continuing through the weekend. We hope Allbuffs will be back online by Sunday night.

Nintendo Switch

Discussion in 'Games' started by Jalapeno, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Jalapeno

Jalapeno Doom Slayer Club Member

i hope it's not like the "NEW" type of hardware like with the 3ds line. Thankfully only a few 3ds games required the newer hardware but the SNES games could be only played on those new hardware.

2. Jalapeno

The news I was hoping for! I bought STCE this morning and Guacamelee 2 is coming out in DECEMBER! I'm getting Guac2 on day one for the Switch like on the PC because I just love that series. Also there's a ton of Metroidvania games on the Switch...I think that explains why Nintendo is able to take its sweet time with Metroid Prime 4 for the Switch and I would't be too upset if that game gets delayed to 2020 which I suspect there will be ports of Metroid Prime 1-3 for the Switch at some point next year....no complaints from me in that case.

The Switch is the definitive indie gaming machine on the go to have. I'm already wondering how soon I'll run out of space on my just purchased 128GB SD card. Right now my PC gaming time has really fallen off a cliff and given the prices of PC components with the Trump tariffs (no politics in this thread please), I think I will be focusing on the Switch quite a bit for awhile.

Nintendo is going to own 2019 because of not only a Switch hardware refresh but Nintendo held back on this year's E3 so they will have more big games ready to go when the PS5 and XBox Scarlett launches as soon as next year.

I need to be whipped into shape as well.

TDforTD likes this.
  3. Jalapeno

2K Sports stepped in to help out with Playgrounds 2 and was able to bring players such as Michael Jordan to the game plus animations. Will be $29.99 when it comes out.

TDforTD likes this.
  4. Jalapeno

TDforTD likes this.
  5. Jalapeno

TDforTD likes this.
  6. Jalapeno

Starting to think ahead to Black Friday. Any good Nintendo deals especially on software?

sliderNcider likes this.
  7. Jalapeno

Can't seem to make up my mind on what game to get next. I'll throw in the games I'm considering:

The Messenger
    Enter the Gungeon
    Hyper Light Drifter
    Steam World Dig 2
    Owl Boy
    Sonic Mania
    Mega Man 11
    Mega Man X Collection 2 (already have the first one on the Switch)

I was planning on buying a major title this month but realized that Black Friday is around the corner so I'll hold back.

TDforTD likes this.
  8. Jalapeno

Unepic and Ghost 1.0 (made by the same person) is on sale for $4.99 each.

9. TimmyDUBs

TimmyDUBs Dirty haole Club Member

@Jalapeno what do you think it the best shooter game on the Switch. I’ve got Splatoon 2 and I have definitely geeked out on it, but a more classic one (with blood and/or monsters) would be great.

10. Jalapeno

There's Doom and Wolfenstein II if that is what you are looking for. They are modern versions of classic games from the past and I really enjoyed Doom on the PC. I'm holding off on buying Doom for the Switch until the price goes down on that game first.

Monster Hunters Ultimate might be another one to look at. I don't have Doom, Wolfenstein II, or MHU on the Switch so I can't make any recommendations.

If you are stick of the third dimension just like I am right now and hence the Metroidvanias, there's one game I found on the web:

TimmyDUBs likes this.
  11. Jalapeno

Finally got Zelda BOTW. Should I get the expansion pass as soon as possible?

TimmyDUBs likes this.
  12. Jalapeno

I'm speechless over how big BOTW is and the exploration aspect. I really enjoyed FFXV and BOTW is very similar except you get to climb mountains and glide off them in BOTW. The sequels to both games are going to have real high expectations and last time that happened, that was coming off FFVII and The Ocarnia of Time. I hope they do better than FFXVIII and Majora's Mask which I didn't receive very well.

Anyone have Xenoblade Chronicles 2? How does it compare to BOTW?

13. Matt

Matt Club Member Club Member

TDforTD likes this.
  14. wsp4820

wsp4820 Sally Club Member Junta Member

We bought the Switch for the kids for Christmas. It's in the box on the shelf in my closet taunting me every night. Being an adult sucks.

Jalapeno, Matt, Highlander and 4 others like this.
  15. TimmyDUBs

TimmyDUBs Dirty haole Club Member

Easy to put away. You should probably make sure it works.

16. wsp4820

wsp4820 Sally Club Member Junta Member

That's exactly what I told the wife. What's worse than opening it on Christmas only to find that it's broken and we can't do anything about it for days? DAYS!

She disagreed, so we compromised and left it in the box in the closet.

Denver_sc and TDforTD like this.
  17. Highlander

Highlander There can be only one Club Member

The thing that sucks is that in the heat of the moment, the kids will NEVER realize it wasn't still in shrink wrap. It had the wrapping paper on it and all is good. On the extreme chance that any questions come up? You just opened up just like you said, to make sure it works. You are a good dad taking care of his kids.

Then mom has to go and blow the whole idea up! :bang:

TDforTD and wsp4820 like this.
  18. Jalapeno

I suspect Nintendo is holding back in order to be ready for the XB2 & PS5 launches.

We won't have to wait as long for a new Zelda or Mario game since Nintendo can reuse the game engines from both games and then Metroid Prime 4 is supposed to in the same open world vein as Zelda BOTW.

I would expect more Wii/Wii U ports of deserving games that didn't sell as much on the Wii U due to poor Wii U sales. Twilight Princess and Windwaker would be the Zelda ports in mind and while New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe has been announced, I'm expecting Super Mario 3D to end up on the Switch. I'm not sure about Skyward Sword unless Nintendo no longer requires the motion control interface from that game and puts traditional Zelda controls in place. The good news is that Nintendo is going to run out of Zelda games to Port and the same thing could be said about Mario (still have Sunshine). All the Zelda games from NES to N64 are on the 3DS family of systems.

19. sliderNcider

sliderNcider Hasta la Viska Club Member

I think going to try to find one in black friday

TDforTD likes this.
  20. Jalapeno

Chase Horizon: November 28th launch date. Will link video in the morning.

21. Denver_sc

Denver_sc Club Member Club Member

When we gave our kids the Switch for Christmas a few years ago, I successfully argued that we should have "santa" set it up in the middle of the night on Christmas Eve. The rationale was that not only would a unit that was DOA SUCK on Christmas morning, but think about how much of a pain in the ass your kids are going to be while you try to get the thing set up and configured, software updated, games loaded, batteries charged, etc. I'm sure they'll be really patient while they wait.

Also, you should tell your wife that since you've already bought it almost two months ahead of Christmas, it's going to be a return nightmare if you don't at least check that it works while you're at least relatively close to the purchase.

Finally, if it's really that big of a deal, you can very carefully get it out to do all the configuration/prep work/charging, and then very carefully put it back in the box exactly as it was.

TDforTD, Jalapeno and Highlander like this.
  22. Jalapeno

I wouldn't bet on stores having spare Switches to trade for the DOA ones either. I'd overrule the wife in that case and start up those Switches with a game to make sure they work.

23. SBG

SBG Not SDB Club Member Junta Member

It helps that switches aren’t wrapped in plastic. Reassembly is easy.

24. Denver_sc

Denver_sc Club Member Club Member

[​IMG]

25. Jalapeno

Anyone enjoy Diablo 3 for the Switch? Any game that I play pretty much requires a controller. I liked D3 on the PC but didn't really find the desire to continue playing due to lack of gamepad support on the PC.

26. Jalapeno

Just pre-purchased Super Smash Bros Ultimate. Game is downloading to my Switch at home I think (especially if you buy directly from the Nintendo website...the Big N really has their online account stuff in order).

74 fighters on day one...insanity!

TimmyDUBs and TDforTD like this.
  27. Jalapeno

SBG and Highlander like this.
  28. Hunchback Quaker

Hunchback Quaker Club Member Club Member

I wouldn't say Nintendo has online stuff under control, but I am pumped for this game. it's too bad the Banjo Kazooie rumors weren't true

29. Jalapeno

I was referring to the recent merging of your Switch & 3DS eShop accounts to your Nintendo online account. That puts it on par with PSN in that regard and I don't really care about online play that much but that very well could change with SSBU. I had no issues with Mario Kart 8 online on the Switch as well.

If anyone thinks that the Nintendo Switch online service will catch up to XBL & PSN, someone is ready to sell a bridge from Tokyo to that anyone. $20.00 a year plus the Switch's Virtual Console is very telling of the quality of online play to be expected. That online service will be tested hard with SSBU and Nintendo knows it.

30. Jalapeno

Anyone catch this news?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.