What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Northern Iowa Lookalike & Game thread - MBB (Boulder, Tuesday, 12/10, 7:00 PM MT, Pac 12 Networks)

Everyone...just breathe okay? The KU game is still in their heads. And we are still 0-0 in conference play.
There are performances that should make fans angry. 100% justified and we’re part of the problem if we accept this crap. Not only did the team choke, but it let Northern Iowa make them their bitch on the offensive glass.

Pac 12 is better than you think....only road wins is maybe Cal and/or Stanford...
We are probably better than you think then. We will be in if we take care of the business in most of our home games.

I't not sure if we can win against Stanford though, their freshman guard is better than all other guards we have except for kin

Cops just came to the door. Asked if everything is all right. Said the neighbors heard screaming and yelling and glass breaking. I told them to **** off. “WE JUST LOST TO NORTHERN ****ING IOWA!” They said they didn’t blame me and left.

We just can't seem to fire offensively on all cylinders, definitely short at least one reliable shooter. Credit to N. Iowa they play solid and many of their 3's were way deep.

I’m not gonna read this thread. But Jacobson outcoached Tad in this one. Which isn’t really a knock, because Jacobson is a tremendous coach. But it also comes down to a philosophical difference. Jacobson pushed all the right buttons and called all the right plays, Tad trusts his players to be the ones to make the plays. And Tad’s trust in McKinley as his floor general didn’t work tonight.

Kin, Battey and Schwartz all had bad games...we need one of them to step up to pair with Bey. What a let down
Battey? Not sure which game you watched, but for most of the time he was in, he was the only spark we had
Why is bey only getting 4 freaking shots in a game?

Cause when he gets double teamed he freezes, travels or passes to no one. Teams have figured this out and it happens EVERY time he touches the ball now.

Disappointing loss. I’m starting to think this is what we can expect from Tad. Even his best teams are startlingly mediocre for long stretches, sometimes spanning games. I admire him very much but we may need to either accept where we are - bubble tourney team in good years, a little better in great years - or take the risk of moving away from the greatest CU basketball coach in my lifetime. Not an easy question and not the right time to ask it - there is a ton of season left - but I’m feeling very frustrated and wondering if I should just cool my expectations for however long Tad remains.

IMHO Tad's refusal to go 2 for 1, call ANYTHING that resembles an inbound play, attack defenders who have foul trouble are all problems.

We play nothing that resembles cohesive offense

outworked outhustled outplayed. Very disappointing.

Someone needs to remind Tad what a boxout is.

Boyle can't seem to draw up a play to save his life. N. Iowa comes out of a timeout and gets an open game-tieing three. We come out of a timeout and turn it over for a game-losing fastbreak layup.
This, and someone else made that observation above.

I often feel that Boyle doesn't really "run an offense", so much as just put 5 guys on the court and tell them to "go score some points".

Edit: someone else was definitely @ZandiBuff

Well, it’s a long season and I expect us to get it figured out. Buffs and Nuggets are disturbingly similar, :LOL:

I disagree. NI shooting was unreal and coaching had nothing to do with effort under the boards.
Come on dude. Think of the out of the critical out of bounds plays. They nail open threes in designed plays with picks to get shooters open and we turn the ball over in complete cluster****s.

Next game would be a bounce back game. They win at CSU, they will be back on track.
Sure but a good Dayton team on the road won’t help, then into Pac12. Until tonight I was thinking we’d sweep PAC 12 at home, now not so sure.

Disappointing loss. I’m starting to think this is what we can expect from Tad. Even his best teams are startlingly mediocre for long stretches, sometimes spanning games. I admire him very much but we may need to either accept where we are - bubble tourney team in good years, a little better in great years - or take the risk of moving away from the greatest CU basketball coach in my lifetime. Not an easy question and not the right time to ask it - there is a ton of season left - but I’m feeling very frustrated and wondering if I should just cool my expectations for however long Tad remains.
Tad's philosophy and emphasis is a lot like the air raid offense in football. It will win you games but never take you past average/good.

Alright, so I feel like it's redundant to say there's a lot of overreaction going on in an Allbuffs game thread, but JFC, some of you guys. First of all, yes, UNC somehow took these guys to OT at some tourney in Mexico. If you look at the rest of their schedule, you'd see they've been good. If you just look at their name and the outlier game against UNC and figure UNI sucks, you're wrong. This will not be considered a bad loss come tournament time, I guarantee you.

Second, there's some positive things that came out of this game. We realized that ball movement and moving without the ball actually results in better offensive basketball than standing around the 3 point line. We also played some really damn good defense. The rebounding was atrocious, yes, but we shouldn't lose sight of how hard we played on defensive side of the ball and how it fed the runs we had.

Here are three things that I noticed at the game that haven't been mentioned here: first, we lost the game on unforced turnovers on the offensive end. Thinking back, I count at least 6 times where we either threw the ball away, couldn't control a pass, or dribbled into trouble and lost the ball. Those are points lost based strictly on bad decisions/poor concentration. Second, UNI is a good team, and a good 3 point shooting team, but they had some ridiculous 3s fall tonight. I think #11 had 4 threes in the second half, and all of them were with a CU defender right in his face. He singlehandedly kept them in the game in the second half, and it wasn't because he was being left open. Finally, while I'm not going to **** on any particular player defensively, we have a couple of players that are complete non-entities on the offensive end. It got better in the second half when we started moving around on offense, but there were plenty of times tonight when the offense was Kin and two forwards, some combination of Battey, Bey, and Siewart, usually.

Finally, like I said above, we lost the game on unforced turnovers, along with bad rebounds given up, but I would be remiss if I didn't mention the refs. We lost by 3. UNI was given 6 from an uncalled but obvious travel that led to a 3 and a phantom foul that led to three made FTs. Leaving the game up for the refs decide means you didn't do enough to win, but it sure as hell didn't help.

Back