What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Not so fast, my friend ... (was: P12 finalizing details ....)

ACC still considering Texass to be #15 or #16 ?? Their Plan A & B.

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i...tml?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

The ACC is considering three options as it awaits decisions from Texas and Oklahoma, according to an official. The first one is the league's home run swing at luring both Texas and Notre Dame. Plan B is to invite Texas and Texas Tech. Rutgers and Connecticut are Plan C, with a college official saying Connecticut and the ACC have had discussions the past two days.

we can only hope though I highly doubt Plan A or B happens...

I'd been saying UT to the ACC for a while. But I don't see it any more. One of the big issues for UT is that Texas fans want to see games against teams from it region and be able to travel to these games. The SEC is not an option they would consider, so the rivalry games with Arkansas and Texas A&M are pretty much lost. The big one is the Oklahoma game. They can't afford to lose that too.

And while UT fans won't like having to travel to the west coast teams in the Pac-16 since they want to RV, not fly, for conference games... going to California, Colorado, Utah, Arizona and the Pacific Northwest is sure as **** more appealing to the UT fan base than roadies to the eastern seaboard (or Big 10 country). Those are the 3 options available. So they're going to bitch, moan and try every leverage ploy in the book. But in the end, they'll go to the Pac-16 to stay connected to OU along with OSU and TTU.

My read on this:

Both UT and ESPN know that the LHN was a colossal mistake.
Both UT and ESPN have too much ego to admit it was a colossal mistake.
Larry Scott has enough media connections and media business savvy to know that it was a colossal mistake.
Both UT and ESPN know that Larry knows it was a colossal mistake.
ESPN wants a way out of the deal.
UT wants a way out of the deal.
UT needs to posture publicly that the LHN is a valuable asset that it would never give up.
Everyone wants UT to be part of the new Pac-16

So...

UT, ESPN and Larry Scott are working privately to figure out how to reconfigure the LHN as a Pac-16 regional network in a deal structure that allows ESPN to recoup its investment and UT to save face while giving the Pac-16 its Texas carrier.

I highly doubt UT think the LHN is a mistake. If they did they would give it up.

The Big 10+1+1 will expand if Notre Lame ever agrees to come in. And if they take them, they'll add at least one more team. Pitt, always a popular suspect in Big 10+1+1 is on their way to the ACC. So is Syracuse. Mizzou is headed to the $EC. Texass isn't going to get any more LHN concessions from them than from the Pac-12. It's starting to look a little sparse out there for expansion candidates for the Big 10+1+1....

Doesn't mean they'll go to 14 or 16. They are arrogant enough to leave it at 13 with ND

I highly doubt UT think the LHN is a mistake. If they did they would give it up.

So if Texass joins us and agrees to rolling LHN into a P16 regional network, that says what?

Here's the thing about LHN - it loses money. No large cable/sat providers carry it, and none seem willing to change that stance in the next few months. And once you are out of football season, they have even less reason to carry it. If ESPN weren't subsidizing Texass and Texass actually had to run LHN as a real business, Texass would be getting negative dollars, aka a loss, for its Tier 3 media rights. That's f*cking shocking. They were probably getting $8-12 mm per year for their Tier 3 rights before LHN, when they outsourced all production costs to their broadcast partners. Now without the ESPN subsidy, nothing. Worse than nothing, negative!

Now of course the Texass faithful will argue until they are burnt orange in the face that this is all part of the brilliant long run plan by ESPN and Texass to dominate the world. Great. Go execute it then. The problem they have is that sports broadcasting has some real economies of scale. LHN has to have broadcast equipment and facilities that they will use once a week. For three months of the year. After which it gets used to broadcast women's volleyball. Which generates squat for revenue even if a cable provider would carry them. Which they won't. It's just not clear to me how that business model is cheaper than outsourcing production costs to a broadcaster that can spread equipment and talent costs over a full year of revenue producing broadcasts.

That is the best thing I have ever seen in my life.

I was taking a legal statement on a fairly serious matter and hit play (the guy was on the other side of my desk making the statement) and then was hit by the uncontrollable giggles that I was doing my best to surpress, but couldn't. Good Lord, the scene at the end where he rides off is magnificent.

If I were starting a new account here, I think my login name would be "guy on a buffalo" and that image would be my avatar.

I'd been saying UT to the ACC for a while. But I don't see it any more. One of the big issues for UT is that Texas fans want to see games against teams from it region and be able to travel to these games. The SEC is not an option they would consider, so the rivalry games with Arkansas and Texas A&M are pretty much lost. The big one is the Oklahoma game. They can't afford to lose that too.

And while UT fans won't like having to travel to the west coast teams in the Pac-16 since they want to RV, not fly, for conference games... going to California, Colorado, Utah, Arizona and the Pacific Northwest is sure as **** more appealing to the UT fan base than roadies to the eastern seaboard (or Big 10 country). Those are the 3 options available. So they're going to bitch, moan and try every leverage ploy in the book. But in the end, they'll go to the Pac-16 to stay connected to OU along with OSU and TTU.

Is it? ACC has some nice college towns, and honestly has some schools higher up on the "football-mad fanbase" scale than the Pac-12 does (FSU, Clemson, Virginia Tech) and as ridiculous as Texas traveling to Boston College or Maryland sounds, it's hardly worse than the thought of Texas going to Pullman or Corvallis. Texas isn't a cultural fit for either, but I'd argue they fit in more with a conference of schools mostly based in the South than they do with a conference based on the West Coast. Being the team located an hour behind would be more advantageous for them than being located two hours ahead. The problem, as you said, is they just aren't going to toss away that OU rivalry..

Last edited:
Is it? ACC has some nice college towns, and honestly has some schools higher up on the "football-mad fanbase" scale than the Pac-12 does (FSU, Clemson, Virginia Tech). Texas isn't a cultural fit for either, but I'd argue they fit in more with a conference of schools mostly based in the South than they do with a conference based on the West Coast. Being the team located an hour behind would be more advantageous for them than being located two hours ahead. The problem, as you said, is they just aren't going to toss away that OU rivalry..

It is because they feel some affinity with the mountain region programs. We've all got those cowboy roots.

Wilner's full update-

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/colleg...venue-sharing-and-16-team-division-alignment/

Talked to several sources this weekend about Texas joining the Pac-12 and the future of the Longhorn Network.
Let’s get right to it.
*** Texas-to-the-Pac is not happening in the next 24 or 36 hours, folks. It could be a week, or weeks.

There are far too many issues still to be worked out, many of them involving UT’s ultimate willingness to make the concessions necessary to join the Pac-12.

Despite what you may have read, the school and the conference are “nowhere near any agreement,” according to one source.

(That doesn’t mean a deal won’t be reached, only that there are several layers to the negotiations and it could take time.)
*** The Austin-American Statesman reported that Texas could join the Pac-12 and keep the Longhorn Network, essentially with its own revenue model:
The Longhorns would be able to keep all of their revenue from the network if that amount is greater than one-sixteenth of what the entire Pac-12 receives for its third-tier rights. However, if one-sixteenth of the money the Pac-12 receives from third-tier rights ends up being a larger amount, the schools would divide the revenue evenly and everybody would receive the same amount, the source said.
That is, at its very best, misleading.
For one thing, the Longhorn Network would have to be folded into the Pac-12 regional model — it wouldn’t exist as a separate entity.

What’s more, there is no chance that any school will have more than 1/16th of the revenue that comes from the conference’s first, second or third-tier rights. NO CHANCE.
We’re more likely to see USC give up football and join the Big West.
Remember, the Pac-12 CEOs would like to have Texas, but they are not desperate to have Texas.

They have all the leverage.
Now … Would UT and ESPN have to work something out in regard to the $300 million Longhorn Network? Probably. A contract like that doesn’t simply get ripped up.
(Quick aside: Based on what media industry sources have told me about revenue projections for the league’s third-tier rights, they would trounce what Texas stands to make off TLN over time.)
*** Yes, yes, 100 times yes: The Pac-12 would add the Oklahoma schools and become a 14-team conference even if Texas follows a different path.

And if the number is 14, there’s a very good chance the conference would use the Zipper model for division alignment (i.e., split the natural rivals).
The league will not — I repeat: will not — pair USC and Oklahoma in the same division.

*** There’s a lot of confusion and concern about the division alignment in a 16-team league.
In particular, the Arizona schools, Utah and Colorado don’t want to be in the eastern division — they don’t want to get cut off from Los Angeles.
Here’s my educated guess as to how the conference would handle the situation:
1. Divide the 16 teams into pods of four: the Northwest schools, the California schools, the Mountain schools and the Texas/Oklahoma schools (or the Kansas/Oklahoma schools).
You’d play the three teams in your pod every year and two teams from each of the other three pods to form the nine-game league schedule.
2. Pair two sets of pods to create one eight-team division and two sets of pods to create another eight-team division.
3. Keep the pods together for two years to provide home-and-home scheduling, and then switch the pod pairings.
In other words, the California schools could be paired with the Mountain schools in a division for two years, and then the California schools could be paired with the Northwest schools in a division for two years … and so on.
It’s critical to remember that — as with the 12-school negotiations last fall on divisions, scheduling and revenue sharing — commissioner Larry Scott’s goal would be to find a Pac-16 infrastructure that satisfies everyone … even if it doesn’t thrill anyone.
*** Last point: I’ve read and heard a lot about whether Scott has the CEO support to expand or is getting significant push-back from a handful of presidents and chancellors. (Nine votes are needed to approve new members.)
Bottom line: If Scott needs the votes, he’ll have the votes.

Last edited:
You lost me with this one.

aren't you enjoying this just a little sacky??? I mean I can see Texas lying and squirming if you read the articles coming from Austin compared to what is coming out of California.

Larry Scott is NOT allowing them a greater share.....

They may join us, but we are not paying extra for them....

Ok with all of the mouthpieces at UT newspapers saying the Pac 12 is willing to negotiate on the LHN there was a buried actual quote in the chipster article from Scott THIS WEEKEND at the Texas/UCLA game:

Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott told a group of reporters that included Orangebloods.com at the Rose Bowl Saturday the Pac-12 would not be flexibile about third-tier rights revenue sharing. Scott maintains that schools have to share the money equally.

If Texas sought membership in the Pac-12, Scott said LHN "would be an issue." But Scott said his league has a great relationship with ESPN, which owns the rights to LHN and is also a TV partner in the Pac-12 (along with Fox).

Sooo, I guess those idots in Austin forgot to refer to that a little more carefully.

http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1266871

Last edited:
Ok with all of the mouthpieces at UT newspapers saying the Pac 12 is willing to negotiate on the LHN there was a buried actual quote in the chipster article from Scott THIS WEEKEND at the Texas/UCLA game:

Sooo, I guess those idots in Austin forgot to refer to that a little more carefully.

http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1266871

In the legal profession.... when you find law that does not support your side, you go out and find other laws that fit your agenda.... lastly, if you can not find any, then you make **** up....

Oh, I was just thinking as well that if OU/OSU apply for membership in the next few days which is expected, then Texas will truly be against the wall, meaning they have absolutely NO leverage. Texas getting special concessions ain't happening. Period. What UT will do with that ultimatum...I don't know.

I'm sure the OK schools will get the Pac-12 invite first then that really puts UT in a bind within the state of Texas.

SIAP, but ESPN is showing the following potential Pod alignment for the future Pac 16:

Pod A: Washington, Washington St., Oregon, Oregon St.
Pod B: USC, UCLA, Arizona, Arizona St.
Pod C: Cal, Stanford, Utah, Colorado
Pod D: UT, TTech, OU, OSU

I like it.

SIAP, but ESPN is showing the following potential Pod alignment for the future Pac 16:

I like it.

Texas just demanded that Larry Scott change the name of their pod from "D" to "A"

extremely reppable, but my gleeb gun is empty.

Got him for you.

As much as I would miss the ASU cheerleaders (why can't we have nice things?!?), I love the Cal fans, and would be thrilled with that alignment.

It sounds like there are multiple ways to formulate pods in a way that the NCAA wouldn't bar them - for the period of time that the NCAA gets to say anything.

I like it.

I just saw this a little while ago too and it surprised me at first but I guess the think is not to put all the Cali schools in the same pod. Plus the LA schools are probably as close to the Arizona schools geographically as they are to the NoCal schools.

Back