What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Not So Sweet 16 - Worst CU Losses Since 2000

The Alabaster Yak

Club Member
Club Member
This is kind of funny, if not depressing, but here we go... I'm putting my choices in with a personal bias

Left Side - Round 1
1. Montana State has to take the 1 v 16 matchup with ease and it was also Hawk's first year and my Freshman year at CU, although that Fresno St loss prevented a appearance in the Natty
9. CSU winning in Boulder and watching their clown fans storm Folsom and dance around was another lowpoint for me as a fan and student
4. 24 game road losing streak as a collective definitely edges out Marcus Mariota (i think?) drubbing us in Boulder. The losing streak spanned my entire college career. Just awful
5. Sac State loss is one of the worst in program history. Another one I was at and remember walking away with a feeling of pure embarrassment

Left Side - Round 2
1. Montana State beats out CSU. While both awful losses, Montana State was more awful
4. 24 game losing streak tops this bad loss, IMO, and again was part of such a ****ty football experience for me as a fan in college

Left Side - Round 3
4. For the same reason as above, the 24 game losing streak tops this loss

Right Side - Round 1
15. 58-0 loss at Mizzou upsets the drubbing at the hands of Vince Young and eventual National Champ Texas. I was at the Mizzou game and it was one of the worst sporting events I've witnessed in person in my entire life
7. I honestly don't remember the Nebraska loss in 2005, but I do remember the "good job, good effort" feeling in the Big 12 Champ Games in those few seasons where the North was simply about being the most competent ****ty team and who got to lose to Texas or OU, so that one wins.
3. Without question the most embarrassing loss in program history, IMO. Probably should have been the 1 seed. The sheer incompetence of that staff and lack of talent on that roster was incredible.
6. Toledo was another one of my horrible college memories of Buffs football, watching our defense look like they were running in cement compared to Toledo's offense, but the collapse at home against Oregon State was the defining moment of MM's tenure at CU, even moreso than "The Rise".

Right Side - Round 2
15. The Mizzou loss was the worst sporting event I've ever witnessed in person. Winner
3. Again, the worst loss in program history, probably. There's no question Fresno takes the cake here

Right Side - Round 3
3. While Mizzou was the worst sporting event I've ever witnessed in person, the Fresno loss has to win this matchup

Championship
3. FRESNO STATE in 2012 - 55-7 at Halftime and a Final Score of 69-14.

Losses.PNG

That bracket is terrible.

The KU collapse might be the worst in program history and it’s not even on there.

A 3-8 CU team losing in Lincoln to a top 10 Nebraska team by 2 is a top 10 loss? That’s not even the worst loss that season.

And that 52-7 loss at Cal was in 2010, not 2012. I was there, excited about our intro to the PAC 12 and we laid an egg.

That Hawaii loss still pisses me off. The way that game played out, and the ending just seemed like the chair was pulled from under the Buffs

that ‘00 game vs kNU was kind of a disappointment. I wouldn’t have considered myself a Buffs fan at the time, but I always found enjoyment to see the nubs lose to CU. The only redeeming factor was that Fusker fans spending money in jubilation afterwards. I was working at Circuit City at the time, and my commission was thankful for that Black Friday into the weekend.

The homecoming collapse vs OSU was probably the one that stung the most. So much in that game was lost, and it seems to keep setting off a domino effect. Lost a homecoming game, a chance at bowl eligibility (after starting the season 5-0), a notch in the belt of a 7-game skid, losing to the beavers, lost the coach, and a sizable set back for the program. Then flash forward to this past February and those events...it all seemed to stem from this game.

That bracket is terrible.

The KU collapse might be the worst in program history and it’s not even on there.

A 3-8 CU team losing in Lincoln to a top 10 ****braska team by 2 is a top 10 loss? That’s not even the worst loss that season.

And that 52-7 loss at Cal was in 2010, not 2012. I was there, excited about our intro to the PAC 12 and we laid an egg.
That Kansas game is definitely top 5 in worst losses. I mean, a coach got fired right after that game.

The 2006-2012 seasons were filled with such terrible football that at some point i just stopped paying attention. I didn't actually watch that game against Fresno in 2012, for example; I just remember checking the score at halftime, seeing how many points Fresno had scored, wondering if I had the start time wrong and was actually looking at the final score, and just laughing when I realized it was only halftime. There's no doubt that was a worse performance than, say, the '00 NU game... but the close loses to NU in 1999 and 2000 hurt so badly I felt them throughout the entire off season. If a game like 62-36 hadn't happened, I'd probably still be heartbroken from Aldrich's missed field goal and the squib kick.

Certain losses are here because they were heartbreaking; others are here to remind us there was a time when things were so hopeless we couldn't even have our hearts broken.

My least favorite CU game is probably the 2009 CSU game. I was tired of Hawkins long before that happened, but I ****ing hated him to an absolutely unhealthy degree after that. Rock bottom was really the 2012 season, but it was 2009 when I realized things were truly ****ed.

Last edited:
Back