What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Notes from the Burrito Stand - Players & Position Battles

It may include a few gulps of Kool-Aid but I think that if you compare us to last year it is remarkably different. We have some areas where we are thin and are relying on to many Fr. for depth. We also have a lot of areas where we have guys who are good but not difference makers.

With all that we are finally starting to look like a BCS conference football team. Not many guys who are going to play simply because we don't have anyone else to put out there. This team is starting to build a roster of D1 ballplayers after the pile of WAC/Sun Belt talent that Hawkins left.

Combine this with a full year to absorb the attitude and intensity that Embree and his coaches are demanding and we will see a much better football team. Unfortunately this is after a team that was so bad when the new staff took over that they could make a huge gain and still be near the bottom of the PAC.

It may include a few gulps of Kool-Aid but I think that if you compare us to last year it is remarkably different. We have some areas where we are thin and are relying on to many Fr. for depth. We also have a lot of areas where we have guys who are good but not difference makers.

With all that we are finally starting to look like a BCS conference football team. Not many guys who are going to play simply because we don't have anyone else to put out there. This team is starting to build a roster of D1 ballplayers after the pile of WAC/Sun Belt talent that Hawkins left.

Combine this with a full year to absorb the attitude and intensity that Embree and his coaches are demanding and we will see a much better football team. Unfortunately this is after a team that was so bad when the new staff took over that they could make a huge gain and still be near the bottom of the PAC.

I usually disagree with you, but this I can agree with. We'll have some pretty tough times since we're relying so heavily on true freshman, but we're going to be quite a bit more talented than the last few years. I don't think we've had anyone on the team that is as physically impressive as Tupuo in quite awhile.

Last year when Bahktiari went down in the first game and Danno had to come in at LT, I knew we were in trouble.
We lost Harris in game two.

Much like last year, we will be in serious rookie land if we have even one injury on the OL. Not good.

We are relying on G.Thomas to be all-world at WR or our offense will be stuffed, like it usually was last year. Let's face it, we had a great screen play, but not much else worked (except P.Rich exploiting the Cal DBs). Late in the year, T-Clem brought us some plays, and that opened things up a bit more.

The huge question in my mind is can our WR's get off the LOS? If they can get into their routes, I'm confident Webb can deliver the ball and thus we will see defenses have to play us honestly. If our WR's cannot do that (much like they couldn't when Kiesau coached them, and later Prince to a lesser extent), then expect 8 in the box, no respect on the outside, and a very difficult time for the Buffs to run the ball.

I'd expect PRich won't be much of a factor until 2nd Half of the season. So I think we are going to have to rely on a group of WR's that have only a handful of catches combined at the college level. We will see.

Last year when Bahktiari went down in the first game and Danno had to come in at LT, I knew we were in trouble.
We lost Harris in game two.

Much like last year, we will be in serious rookie land if we have even one injury on the OL. Not good.

We are relying on G.Thomas to be all-world at WR or our offense will be stuffed, like it usually was last year. Let's face it, we had a great screen play, but not much else worked (except P.Rich exploiting the Cal DBs). Late in the year, T-Clem brought us some plays, and that opened things up a bit more.

The huge question in my mind is can our WR's get off the LOS? If they can get into their routes, I'm confident Webb can deliver the ball and thus we will see defenses have to play us honestly. If our WR's cannot do that (much like they couldn't when Kiesau coached them, and later Prince to a lesser extent), then expect 8 in the box, no respect on the outside, and a very difficult time for the Buffs to run the ball.

I'd expect PRich won't be much of a factor until 2nd Half of the season. So I think we are going to have to rely on a group of WR's that have only a handful of catches combined at the college level. We will see.

Yep. OL depth and playmaking from the WRs are my biggest concerns right now.

Back