What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Notre Dame joining the Big 10 for 2013?

Stadium size is important but not the complete story. The other factor that matters is revenue per seat. The soviet era monument in Stinkin NE is only about 70k but they generate huge $$ per seat putting their revenue above some other schools with bigger stadiums. I don't know what the situation is at ND but I would imagine that they are fairly similar with high seat prices and big donations required to maintain seat rights.

This is part of the reason they are concerned about maintaining the illusion of being a power including trips to high profile bowls. Becoming a middle of the road team, even in a bigger conference may reduce the ability they have to generate the extra revenues from the seats they have.

Officially 81k, but they get a couple thousand more than that for virtually every game. They're doing a few expansions next year to bring it officially to over 87k. And yes, having been there, Soviet monument is the only way to describe it. Even the statues outside. It's like you're looking at ****ing Gorbachev.

Officially 81k, but they get a couple thousand more than that for virtually every game. They're doing a few expansions next year to bring it officially to over 87k. And yes, having been there, Soviet monument is the only way to describe it. Even the statues outside. It's like you're looking at ****ing Gorbachev.

Also typical fusker to design a stadium that has more seating in the endzones than on the sidelines.

FYI, we'll end up being around 92k with the expansion. The only way ND becomes part of the B1G is if all the teams stop allowing them to schedule with them. That may force their hand, but I doubt it.

FYI, we'll end up being around 92k with the expansion. The only way ND becomes part of the B1G is if all the teams stop allowing them to schedule with them. That may force their hand, but I doubt it.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20101008/NEWS/310079708#plan-means-more-seats-by-2013

I referred to this article that implies your official capacity will be about 87,000, but yes you can have over capacity crowds that take it above 90. It is also from almost 2 years go, so maybe something has changed. I don't troll Nebraska message boards these days :thumbsup:

Neb's incredibly low endowment ($1mil) puts them almost at the bottom of Big10, but even with this massive few-thousand seating tack-on's, it's not close to the real football stadiums at the 100k size. Neb found their last conference daunting enough to flee. Now they're facing even more Have's. Too bad.

Are you guys gonna get a real ****ing engineer to design that expansion or are you guys going to hire local again and put more collumns in front of seating areas?

BC, everything you say about travel and exposure is correct. ND has another consideration though. Playing a partial ACC schedule plus their "traditional" rivalries gives them a combination of national exposure and an ability to control their schedule to give them the best chance for a solid record and bowl game each year. If they went to the B1G they would have to deal with a schedule that would give them less exposure and likely more losses.

And that's exactly why they don't want anything to do with the Big 10 even though it's one of the top 2 or 3 conferences. Their reasons for not wanting to join the Big 10 - not enough recruiting exposure, it will limit their national exposure - is complete and utter bull****.

And that's exactly why they don't want anything to do with the Big 10 even though it's one of the top 2 or 3 conferences. Their reasons for not wanting to join the Big 10 - not enough recruiting exposure, it will limit their national exposure - is complete and utter bull****.

The national exposure issue is legitimate for ND. As the most prominent Catholic university in the country they have a donor base that is likely the most widespread nationaly of any school. Their scheduling strategy is designed in part to encourage and maximize these donations.

At the same time avoiding the schedule that joining the big ten would put on this is as you say a huge priority because they would have a much tougher time winning. They may truthfully mention the other reasons but the real reason behind it all is that they don't want to reside down the standings of a conference they couldn't dominate.

The national exposure issue is legitimate for ND. As the most prominent Catholic university in the country they have a donor base that is likely the most widespread nationaly of any school. Their scheduling strategy is designed in part to encourage and maximize these donations.

At the same time avoiding the schedule that joining the big ten would put on this is as you say a huge priority because they would have a much tougher time winning. They may truthfully mention the other reasons but the real reason behind it all is that they don't want to reside down the standings of a conference they couldn't dominate.

Not buying it. They could play all their games within the state of Indiana and their national fanbase wouldn't be any less than it is now. I bet that half of these national ND "fans" around the country couldn't even tell you what state ND is in.

Not buying it. They could play all their games within the state of Indiana and their national fanbase wouldn't be any less than it is now. I bet that half of these national ND "fans" around the country couldn't even tell you what state ND is in.

I agree, but they certainly have a ton of alumni in DC/NYC/Boston that they're about to be playing near

They do big alumni/donor events in every city they play in. By big I mean they work the room and collect a bunch of money. They have these bases in the B1G cities as well but those are close enough to South Bend that they don't gain a lot by playing there.

I am not defending them, I don't like them and wish the presidents of the other schools would step up and tell them that if they want to play they have to go by the same rules as everyone else. That said as long as they can get away with it they will work the system to their advantage.

Are you guys gonna get a real ****ing engineer to design that expansion or are you guys going to hire local again and put more collumns in front of seating areas?
Regardless of design I do think you folks would still hate it for obvious reasons. I will say getting out of Memorial is a pain in the arse most of the time and it's from adding on to it and adding on to it. I think the new section looks great from the outside of the stadium, but won't know much more about it until it's done. Haven't been to a game in over a year.......................kids change your priorities. I don't know where they would be able to build a new stadium, but I don't think they can add on to it anymore after this. Hopefully it'll be louder by enclosing more of the space, but given our blue hair crowd I seriously doubt it.

Back