What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Notre Dame to join the ACC ....

Can't blame them, it's a little over the top.

The B12 required teams to grant their rights to the conference for 13 years. $50m sounds like a bargain compared to that.

I think we had to sign over our rights to the P12 for ~10 years also.

The B12 required teams to grant their rights to the conference for 13 years. $50m sounds like a bargain compared to that.

I think we had to sign over our rights to the P12 for ~10 years also.

True, good point. I was about to say that the more I think about it 50 mil isn't that bad for a league that senses danger (even though I've always been convinced no one is leaving)

True, good point. I was about to say that the more I think about it 50 mil isn't that bad for a league that senses danger (even though I've always been convinced no one is leaving)

It´s excessive compared to what we and the Nubs paid to the Big 12, but I guess the relatively low exit fees owed by the schools who left the big and established conferences recently probably are what triggered this movement.

As an ND grad I guess I have gotten used to this level (low) of input. The real force behind ND football remaining independent in football is TV. And I submit there isn't a school in the land that would act differently than Notre Dame if they had the chance. But the influence of television is supreme at all levels of football.

I wasn't commenting on the TV situation. I could care less what Notre Dame does.

Who gives a rat's #$$ what ND does? They haven't been a big player for the last 12 years. They had to do it to keep the TV because who wants to watch ND vs Army or Navy or their other patsies.

So far a three page thread about what Notre Dame is doing on a CU blog. I guess someone cares what Notre Dame does. Who cares whether you care what Notre Dame does??

Notre Dame will be part of the ACC´s bowl lineup

All the more reason it's a bad deal for the ACC. Now an ACC team can get passed over for ND if the Irish are within 1 win of that particular ACC team. The ACC is banking that ND will eventually join the ACC full-time after the current NBC contract expires in 2015. Good luck with that you dumbass Swofford. How'd that work out for the Big East?

All the more reason it's a bad deal for the ACC. Now an ACC team can get passed over for ND if the Irish are within 1 win of that particular ACC team. The ACC is banking that ND will eventually join the ACC full-time after the current NBC contract expires in 2015. Good luck with that you dumbass Swofford. How'd that work out for the Big East?

6159821976_4d88288845.jpg

Haha, in all seriousness, I do think it may happen eventually. But it might be 2030..

Haha, in all seriousness, I do think it may happen eventually. But it might be 2030..

Yea it pisses me off that a major conference let these arrogant bastards in without football. I'd expect that from the MWC or C-USA, but the ACC let ND have the best of both worlds. I just can't believe how stupid Swofford and the ACC is for agreeing to this. What do they get out of this? They lose a potential bowl tie-in, get none of ND's NBC money, and they get 5 games against ACC opponents per season. Newsflash: ND played 4 ACC teams last year and they're playing 4 this year, so what's the big deal? The ACC is now the new version of the Big East. I wouldn't at all be surprised if ND got some fine print written in there stating that they don't have to go to Blacksburg, Tallahassee, or Death Valley.

Yea it pisses me off that a major conference let these arrogant bastards in without football. I'd expect that from the MWC or C-USA, but the ACC let ND have the best of both worlds. I just can't believe how stupid Swofford and the ACC is for agreeing to this. What do they get out of this? They lose a potential bowl tie-in, get none of ND's NBC money, and they get 5 games against ACC opponents per season. Newsflash: ND played 4 ACC teams last year and they're playing 4 this year, so what's the big deal? The ACC is now the new version of the Big East. I wouldn't at all be surprised if ND got some fine print written in there stating that they don't have to go to Blacksburg, Tallahassee, or Death Valley.

What I'm wondering is if they're going to continue playing BC every year, or if that's out the door now? Regardless, they'll definitely give ND an even-handed ACC slate, they'll never overload them with trips to Tallahassee and Blacksburg in the same year or anything. A typical ND slate will be like: FSU, UNC, @ Maryland, @ Pitt, Duke

I thought that I read somewhere that ND would need one less win to qualify for each bowl game. For instance, if they were 8-4 they could get picked over a 9-3 team.

What I'm wondering is if they're going to continue playing BC every year, or if that's out the door now? Regardless, they'll definitely give ND an even-handed ACC slate, they'll never overload them with trips to Tallahassee and Blacksburg in the same year or anything. A typical ND slate will be like: FSU, UNC, @ Maryland, @ Pitt, Duke

Yea that's what their ACC slate will look like, something like that. I think it said that ND will have to play every ACC team once every 3 years, but what is not clear is that part of a home-and-home series? In other words, is every ACC team guaranteed of a visit from ND every 6 years? I still have a hard time envisioning ND going to Blacksburg or Clemson because they think they're above that.

I simply don't see how this benefits the ACC. They're banking on ND joining in a few years after the current NBC contract expires but that's a big gamble and I'd put the odds at less than 50-50 of that happening. And as far as ND bringing prestige in basketball or other sports, that's not gonna happen. ND is not a big draw like UK, Duke, Kansas, etc in basketball, they're just another team. The Big East had ND as a non-football member for all these years and look where the Big East is now.

Yea that's what their ACC slate will look like, something like that. I think it said that ND will have to play every ACC team once every 3 years, but what is not clear is that part of a home-and-home series? In other words, is every ACC team guaranteed of a visit from ND every 6 years? I still have a hard time envisioning ND going to Blacksburg or Clemson because they think they're above that.

I simply don't see how this benefits the ACC. They're banking on ND joining in a few years after the current NBC contract expires but that's a big gamble and I'd put the odds at less than 50-50 of that happening. And as far as ND bringing prestige in basketball or other sports, that's not gonna happen. ND is not a big draw like UK, Duke, Kansas, etc in basketball, they're just another team. The Big East had ND as a non-football member for all these years and look where the Big East is now.

They're decent enough in basketball. It was going to be a bloodbath on the hardwood beforehand, and the addition of another usual bottom top 25 caliber team doesn't hurt. I've always said Mike Brey has one of the best coaching job in basketball. You're capable of reaching Final Fours and winning a title at ND, but there's also not much pressure so if you slip up and hit the NIT for a couple years, you aren't shown the door.

Adding a 16th member to ACC will make the division uneven football-wise (if they do divide it to 2). Not sure how will that be workable schedule-wise.

I hate ND as much as anyone and wish that the other schools would step up and make them play by the same rules.

That in mind this deal has advantages for both sides. For ND it gives them some schedule stability without having to give up their traditional rivalry games. It also gives them an in to the ACC if their own NBC contract renewal doesn't work out without giving up the option of staying with NBC if the numbers are right (and using the ACC as a negotiation tool in the process.

For the ACC it means they are first in line if ND decides to become a football member. It also means that even if they don't share in the ND TV contract they will have a coupe of games a year with ND that gives them another negotiating edge for their next contract. The guaranteed games against ND will raise the profile of the conference over time as well. It also means some additional national TV games every year.

Who knows how the conference reorganization is going to end up but this deal means that the ACC has a much higher chance of being included at the big boys table when it is all over and that may make the who thing worth it to them.

Yes and that will happen every time they're 1 game worse

Of course. If I was running a bowl game, I'd select ND every time I could. Huge tv number guaranteed. Love 'em or hate 'em, they're the Yankees/Cowboys/Lakers of college football.

I hate ND as much as anyone and wish that the other schools would step up and make them play by the same rules.

That in mind this deal has advantages for both sides. For ND it gives them some schedule stability without having to give up their traditional rivalry games. It also gives them an in to the ACC if their own NBC contract renewal doesn't work out without giving up the option of staying with NBC if the numbers are right (and using the ACC as a negotiation tool in the process.

For the ACC it means they are first in line if ND decides to become a football member. It also means that even if they don't share in the ND TV contract they will have a coupe of games a year with ND that gives them another negotiating edge for their next contract. The guaranteed games against ND will raise the profile of the conference over time as well. It also means some additional national TV games every year.

Who knows how the conference reorganization is going to end up but this deal means that the ACC has a much higher chance of being included at the big boys table when it is all over and that may make the who thing worth it to them.

But the ACC played 4 ACC teams last year and they're playing 4 this year (including Pitt), so I don't see how 1 more game against ND benefits the ACC. Furthermore, it doesn't benefit the conference much if at all when ND is playing someone like Duke, Maryland, BC, or Wake, and 2 or 3 of ND's games against ACC teams will be against teams like those.

You're right in that this gives the ACC a leg up on the other conferences if ND decides to join a conference down the road, but that's not likely to happen now that the ACC got hoodwinked and let them join as a non-football member. Look at it this way, would the Big 10, SEC, or Pac-12 have made this kind of deal with ND? You know the definitive answer to that.

But the ACC played 4 ACC teams last year and they're playing 4 this year (including Pitt), so I don't see how 1 more game against ND benefits the ACC. Furthermore, it doesn't benefit the conference much if at all when ND is playing someone like Duke, Maryland, BC, or Wake, and 2 or 3 of ND's games against ACC teams will be against teams like those.

You're right in that this gives the ACC a leg up on the other conferences if ND decides to join a conference down the road, but that's not likely to happen now that the ACC got hoodwinked and let them join as a non-football member. Look at it this way, would the Big 10, SEC, or Pac-12 have made this kind of deal with ND? You know the definitive answer to that.

This year and next ND is playing almost 5 games but without this agreement there are no guarantees. With the agreement the ACC can figure on getting 5 national TV games a year. Whoever the ACC schools played in NDs place was not going to get them this exposure. The ACC needs this exposure because they are the conference closest to falling off the edge after the big 4 (SEC, B10, B12, PAC) are taken into account. This deal effectively kills the chance of what's left of the Big Least taking that position.

I agree that it is not an even deal and that ND got much more than they contribute, should not have been allowed to happen. At the same time the ND fanbase and money they generate means they get to play outside the rules that apply to most other schools. In the end, even without a "fair" deal it is still going to benefit the ACC.

I think this was a way for ND to join a football conference without actually joining a football conference. ND fans are some of the most self important snobs on the planet and honestly believe they are too good for a conference affiliation. This agreement puts them in bed with the ACC without getting married. They'll get married eventually.

I think this was a way for ND to join a football conference without actually joining a football conference. ND fans are some of the most self important snobs on the planet and honestly believe they are too good for a conference affiliation. This agreement puts them in bed with the ACC without getting married. They'll get married eventually.

Most Notre Dame folks would interpret those ridiculously broad brush strokes as emanating from a frustrated fan of a losing program and someone that wishes his school had a sliver of the past success of Notre Dame. But it must also be noted that winning national championships in college football does not insure quality at all levels of the world of fandom.

Notre Dame made this move for what's going on in CFB 25 years down the road.

When they joined the Big East for everything but football, they were just needing a place to put their non-football sports so they could have a set schedule, set travel costs, etc. It made sense to do that since the Olympic sports don't matter to TV. The Big East let ND do that HOPING that somehow, someway, ND would bring football eventually, but I'm sure they never seriously thought it would happen. With this deal, I think it's a way of ND admitting they can't be taken seriously as an independent forever and want to have a safe harbor in case that ever happens.

Essentially, I think ND bought a big insurance policy - just in case.

The ACC? What do they have to lose? For a decade now, more and more people and pundits have said that ND, eventually, will have to join a league full-time. So the ACC brokered this deal figuring that, in a decade or two, ND will need to join all the way - maybe the TV contracts die off (our economy will bring stuff like that to an end if the market collapses entirely) or a playoff system requiring a conference affiliation comes about. Whatever the case, ND kept an agreement similar to the Big East agreement, just with a MUCH better and more stable conference with better brand names for opponents. The ACC gets a semi-affiliation with ND football and ND gets a full affiliation with ACC hoops and the security of five games a year set, saving them from needing to schedule the Tulsas and USFs of the world (decent programs which BOTH beat ND... embarrassing!).

Anyway, that's my take. I'm putting a fair degree of futurism into this deal, but I think that's what is at play here. This wasn't done for the present, it was done for the mid- to long-term future.

Most Notre Dame folks would interpret those ridiculously broad brush strokes as emanating from a frustrated fan of a losing program and someone that wishes his school had a sliver of the past success of Notre Dame. But it must also be noted that winning national championships in college football does not insure quality at all levels of the world of fandom.

I notice you did nothing to refute what I was saying there...

I notice you did nothing to refute what I was saying there...

It's a silly argument, who has the most obnoxious fans. I saw an exchange on it many months ago and it seemed like Miami won. Of course here, Nebraska is always favored to lead the league. There is NO objective measure and is largely in the eyes of the beholder as in your limited and narrow experience with a handful of ND people I suspect. My experience is far different of course particularly since I am one of the most moderate and respectful of ND fans.

It's a silly argument, who has the most obnoxious fans. I saw an exchange on it many months ago and it seemed like Miami won. Of course here, Nebraska is always favored to lead the league. There is NO objective measure and is largely in the eyes of the beholder as in your limited and narrow experience with a handful of ND people I suspect. My experience is far different of course particularly since I am one of the most moderate and respectful of ND fans.

Wait, you're not actually implying Miami has fans, are you? A few embittered alums, that's about it.

Last edited:

You're not helping your cause, here.

I heard the ACC just upped the exit fee to something like $50M. The Big 12/10 needs to expand to 12 and the Big East is ripe for picking. What are the chances that Louisville and Cincy get invited? The super conferences may be down the road. I think the Big East is history except for bball only schools.

Back