What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Now that that's over...

Corn Manelton

I didn't think the Buffs looked too bad. They looked closer to hanging with a top 10 team (talent wise) than they have in probably 10 years. I'm pretty sure that most here thought that a 7-5 record with a winnable bowl game opponent was an optimistic outlook for this season.

All of those goals are still very attainable. Besides Washington, Washington State and USC, the rest of the PAC 12 looks very mediocre. Montez is most definitely the QB of the future. He's just going to need to take some lumps as he gains experience. Remember how many games Sefo choked away? I would say that Montez is well ahead of Sefo's trajectory (albeit with better talent around him).

The defense looks pretty good and comes to play. Tonight they just became demoralized after all the mistakes. The point is that we are slowly but surely getting to an overall talent level that can hang for 60 minutes with anyone in the conference. It's just going to take a couple more years. 2012 was not that long ago, we have come A LONG way!!

On to next week. UCLA is getting hammered 58-34 as I type this. They are very beatable. Go Buffs!!

Very nice thoughtful post! 7-5 is the minimum, plus a bowl victory. Want to see improvement each and every week, and the first drive was big time improvement. Would like to see one or two big victories against either UCLA, Utah, or maybe even USC!!! Keep growing, keep improving, never take us back to 2012 or 2011, or 2010, or 2009, or 2008, or 2007, or 2006!!! My point is this is so much better.

Montez definitely has some growing up to do. They have to get bigger and better in the trenches, particularly on the Dline. If Montez dives for that first down and Lindsay catches that ball, its most likely a different game. Still a Washington win though.
Cu will beat ucla. Ucla doesn't run the ball and the buffs defense showed that's where they are most vulnerable.

My vision for the program is that MM stays here for two more years. Just enough time to restock all the cupboards and take us to three consecutive bowl games. At that time, he leaves to take another rebuilding project in the SEC or ACC and we are attractive enough to lure a young mastermind to take us to the next level.

I wanted to win tonight as bad as anyone but we just aren't quite to that level yet. But this should shape up to be an exciting season.

One major concern I have is the incredible lack of depth we have at halfback. If Lindsay were to go down, what would we do? Convert Ross to running back? Cause I just don't see it from Adkins, Evans or Bisherat. Serious question that keeps me up at night.

recruiting sucks, when is that going to change? because recruiting absolutely sucks.
I think the bump in recruiting from last year's success will happen next year. I think there is usually a lag because you have to get in on kids 2 or 3 years before they graduate.

My vision for the program is that MM stays here for two more years. Just enough time to restock all the cupboards and take us to three consecutive bowl games. At that time, he leaves to take another rebuilding project in the SEC or ACC and we are attractive enough to lure a young mastermind to take us to the next level.

I wanted to win tonight as bad as anyone but we just aren't quite to that level yet. But this should shape up to be an exciting season.

One major concern I have is the incredible lack of depth we have at halfback. If Lindsay were to go down, what would we do? Convert Ross to running back? Cause I just don't see it from Adkins, Evans or Bisherat. Serious question that keeps me up at night.

Probably go with Evans as the primary. Patience with him, though. He dislocated a hip in spring ball and is still on the mend from that.

As far as this year, I think this is probably an 8-9 win team still. Not on the level of the team we played tonight, but one who can take care of the teams we all felt we needed to beat in league play (Cal, both Arizonas, and Oregon State) in addition to knocking off a couple of the others we'll see on the road this year. I still think this team is good enough to make USC pay if they're as sloppy when they come here as they've been the last two weeks. Washington is the class of this conference.

That SC game is going to seem like it's a lifetime from now. Wouldn't it be a dream if we kept improving and gaining confidence and then punked them out of a playoff birth in Boulder?

That game will be a good litmus test to compare to tonight's game and judge how much we've improved as a team.

This was definitely a frustrating game but I am still thinking this team can go a long way. Washington is just one of those teams that is going to make you pay for mistakes, while making very few of their own. Even after the interception return to make it 24-10 I still felt the Buffs were still in the game. Then it looked like Montez got gun shy, play calling got even worse, and the team just lost any fire.

I didn't think the Buffs looked too bad. They looked closer to hanging with a top 10 team (talent wise) than they have in probably 10 years. I'm pretty sure that most here thought that a 7-5 record with a winnable bowl game opponent was an optimistic outlook for this season.

All of those goals are still very attainable. Besides Washington, Washington State and USC, the rest of the PAC 12 looks very mediocre. Montez is most definitely the QB of the future. He's just going to need to take some lumps as he gains experience. Remember how many games Sefo choked away? I would say that Montez is well ahead of Sefo's trajectory (albeit with better talent around him).

The defense looks pretty good and comes to play. Tonight they just became demoralized after all the mistakes. The point is that we are slowly but surely getting to an overall talent level that can hang for 60 minutes with anyone in the conference. It's just going to take a couple more years. 2012 was not that long ago, we have come A LONG way!!

On to next week. UCLA is getting hammered 58-34 as I type this. They are very beatable. Go Buffs!!

Finally! A voice of reason.

I completely agree. This game was 2-3 plays (mistakes by us) from being tied with 10 minutes left.

Montez sliding too soon when he easily had the first down led to the blocked punt and TD

Lindsay not looking that ball in that got picked off led to their FG

Face mask by Drew Lewis led to long TD

They beat us, no doubt about but I feel great about the fact that aside from those 3 plays we are probably tied with less than a quarter left.

Yards, first downs, and time of possession were all even going to the fourth

I'm not worried. Not many teams can turn the ball over 4 times including a pick 6 and still win. I can't stand Lindgren's play call g from a fan perspective. I am sure he could convince me of his rationale.

As to posts about depth behind Lindsay. I thought BisharT was 4 Star. As to Adkins, I think his attitude after the fumble against TX state is keeping him on the bench.

Apparently the CU propaganda machine was blowing smoke up everyone's dresses re: explosive best ever offense.

Buffs are sitting at 3-1. Here's how I see the rest of the year:

Likely wins: Arizona, Cal, @Oregon State
Likely losses: @Washington State, USC
Toss-ups: @UCLA, @Arizona State, @Utah

I feel very confident about a bowl game. Beat UCLA this week and I'm feeling good about winning 7.

OL still hapless. UW DL controlled the LOS getting pressure regularly without blitzing, it is a good thing Montez is mobile.

Lindsay runs like a beast. He gets a lot of yards on sheer will because clear holes are not there very often.

Montez is uber talented, and raw. I honestly think I would take him over Browning. The dude has a CANNON hanging from his right shoulder. The 1st pick was all on Lindsay. The 2d I have no problem with, making an attempt at a play maybe 5 other guys in CFB could even try at the end of the half. The 3d, holy smokes, pick sixes in the flat are something we have seen a lot of over the past few years. He locked on and did not recognize the zone coverage. He runs like a deer though. I think he has the opportunity to be really good, especially if the OL can at least get to mid P12 quality.

Nixon is going to be special. Winfree is legit. Get him the ball. Noyer looked good in garbage time.

The D held together decently until the wheels came off. D. Lewis is a player. Worthington played well. The DL was OK. As a group, solid, but not good enough to hold up an entire game if the O isn't scoring.

Tonz getting blown up on punt, wow. I guess we know why the OL is what it is. I have said many times before, WAY too many projects, not enough studs. Waiting for the OL to gel is like waiting for Microsoft to work the bugs out of Windows, it is excruciating, but full of promises of how great it will be. And yes, Bernardi still has a job.

Overall, about what I expected, so I am not too incensed. UW left another seven on the field with their kicker channeling his inner Goodman.

CU can go bowling, no doubt, Ore. St., Ariz, ASU and Cal are games CU can, and probably should win. CU is a long way from the top half of the conference though.

It didn't seem like we were trying to bring any extra pressure as well.
Not sure they feel comfortable leaving the Secondary on an island like they did last year. They're going to have to bring pressure against Rosen, Falk and Darnold if they want to have a chance, IMO

Defense played well, by didn't force a punt until late in the game. Bend don't break. Field position matters with this bad offense we have. The defense has to get stops earlier.

The offense is a train wreck. I don't have faith in their ability to score points and against teams that can put up points we are likely to lose. There are some good offenses we will play against and while the d can do its job, the offense is going to lose us games unless it changes.

All of our games have been in Colorado and the team hasn't played in a hostile environment yet.

We just need to get to 6. We need to make a bowl game. 7 would be good and 8 would be fantastic.

One more thing. We know our OL and DL and LB issues. But no one talks about TE. We need to be able to go up the middle at times passing and not having a TE hurts the passing game badly.

One more thing. We know our OL and DL and LB issues. But no one talks about TE. We need to be able to go up the middle at times passing and not having a TE hurts the passing game badly.

wow dude, I've been running a fire Bernardi campaign for years. Clearly my complaining game has diminished lately..

wow dude, I've been running a fire Bernardi campaign for years. Clearly my complaining game has diminished lately..
Every time I hear Bernardi's name.

what-exactly-would-you-say-you-do-here.jpg

Buffs are sitting at 3-1. Here's how I see the rest of the year:

Likely wins: Arizona, Cal, @Oregon State
Likely losses: @Washington State, USC
Toss-ups: @UCLA, @Arizona State, @Utah

I feel very confident about a bowl game. Beat UCLA this week and I'm feeling good about winning 7.
Cal might be tougher than you think. I watched their game against USC yesterday and they are playing pretty good defense under the new coach. Much like our game, they were trading blows until the late 3rd quarter and then started turning the ball over.

Interestingly, their young QB is Ross Bowers who was one of the three Buff QB finalists before we picked Montez out of the trio. Watching him was good for easing my Montez panic. They both look like young, talented guys who are still learning how to be a PAC-12 QB. I actually think Montez looks better.

My two cents on Montez is that he can be a really, really special QB talent. There are many throws that are just unreal with the pace and placement. We have a special dude and we need to channel him some good vibes. The faster he learns to get rid of the bad, the faster we will be dominant. I feel bad that he has to run Lindgren's plays because I think he could make up plays and score more points than what is being called.

RB is a legitimate concern, as far as trying to get a big time player in that spot. PL is a lion and I love having him on this team and he has solidified his place in history as the back that helped the RISE be real. Evans is an underdog who plays hard and earned a scholly. Bish is not as dynamic as I thought, but still has a chance to become a Ryan Nall like kid. Really hope that Fontenot is a stud, and glad to see Donovan Lee will be available next year and might win the job. But, I would think that there would be a kid in the SEC that is sitting as second string and would like a chance to shine, or maybe a Grad Transfer.

My final issue is how we use the Buff Backer spot??? I felt that was a gimmick that Leavitt used because we had a couple of the slowest PAC 12 linebackers around. Now with Lewis running around, and kids like Callier, there needs to be some different approaches to that position. I mentioned that we are not stocked up on this roster to truly play the 3-4 like we would like, and Tupou was a really valuable player more so than we all realized.

Still so happy to have these discussions being 3-1 instead of 1-3!!!

My two cents on Montez is that he can be a really, really special QB talent. There are many throws that are just unreal with the pace and placement. We have a special dude and we need to channel him some good vibes. The faster he learns to get rid of the bad, the faster we will be dominant. I feel bad that he has to run Lindgren's plays because I think he could make up plays and score more points than what is being called.

RB is a legitimate concern, as far as trying to get a big time player in that spot. PL is a lion and I love having him on this team and he has solidified his place in history as the back that helped the RISE be real. Evans is an underdog who plays hard and earned a scholly. Bish is not as dynamic as I thought, but still has a chance to become a Ryan Nall like kid. Really hope that Fontenot is a stud, and glad to see Donovan Lee will be available next year and might win the job. But, I would think that there would be a kid in the SEC that is sitting as second string and would like a chance to shine, or maybe a Grad Transfer.

My final issue is how we use the Buff Backer spot??? I felt that was a gimmick that Leavitt used because we had a couple of the slowest PAC 12 linebackers around. Now with Lewis running around, and kids like Callier, there needs to be some different approaches to that position. I mentioned that we are not stocked up on this roster to truly play the 3-4 like we would like, and Tupou was a really valuable player more so than we all realized.

Still so happy to have these discussions being 3-1 instead of 1-3!!!

"Buff Backer" was an out-of-the-box idea that Tumpkin had after McCartney went down to try to fix the problems that exposed with stretch plays & quick passes to WRs against Michigan. It was about getting our best 11 on the field and Moeller wasn't going to play over Fo or Tedric at safety.

Back