What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

noyer, lytle, montez, etc

darth-horax

I have been thinking about this for awhile now, but then I read an aritcle in the Post that mimicked my thoughts.

Montez is the incumbent starter next season, deservedly so.
However, what do we know about Noyer and Lytle that could put them in the mix?

My thoughts are that Lytle will be red shirted and Noyer gets a chance to push for starters minutes.
If Montez can play the way he did this season, he should win the starting job easily.

However, we don't really know much about Lytle to be fair in that assessment.

Anybody seen him in practcies or anything?

I have been thinking about this for awhile now, but then I read an aritcle in the Post that mimicked my thoughts.

My thoughts are that Lytle will be red shirted and Noyer gets a chance to push for starters minutes.
If Montez can play the way he did this season, he should win the starting job easily.

Well considering Lytle is still in high school, no.

Montez, unless he starts the bowl game, can't be the incumbent starter. He wasn't the starter this year, after all. He would be the likely starter, however. I expect a lively spring where all 3 get snaps after which Montez is named the starter unless he really struggles.

Just looking at Lytle it seems he needs to put on some weight and definitely needs time to redshirt. Haven't seen much of Noyer...I don't think many have. I think it's Montez's job to lose.

Noyer will definitely push Montez but SM adds more to the offense with his big play capability and mobility. Both will likely play next year though if this past season was any indication.

Best guy is gonna go, at least we have some competition finally. I'd say Montezuma has the edge but I'm not opposed to whoever wins the job.

I want it to be an open competition between Montez and Noyer. Yes he was an RS freshman, but some of Montez' decisions were iffy at best. Hope we don't hand him the keys because he has the most experience.

3 EASY games to start next year plus a very experienced offense outside of the QB should allow either to get their bearings. I might even be able to be convinced that giving each 1 game is a good idea.

If U$C hadn't picked the wrong QB to start the season, they'd most likely be in the playoffs right now.

I want it to be an open competition between Montez and Noyer. Yes he was an RS freshman, but some of Montez' decisions were iffy at best. Hope we don't hand him the keys because he has the most experience.

3 EASY games to start next year plus a very experienced offense outside of the QB should allow either to get their bearings. I might even be able to be convinced that giving each 1 game is a good idea.

If U$C hadn't picked the wrong QB to start the season, they'd most likely be in the playoffs right now.

Every position is an open competition.

All we have is a pencil depth chart for 2017 as the team heads into spring practices and some guys have earned a spot starting out with the 1s on the first snap of spring ball.

I like our QB situation going into next season. You have to be impressed with what Montez did when he had a week to prepare with the first team. Give him a whole Spring and Fall camp to get in sync with the receivers and he could be very dangerous. Noyer seems to me to be a career backup, but he will be given every opportunity to get playing time. Also keep in mind that it's pretty unusual for a starter to play every snap and Noyer will need to be ready to come into the game at any time. The competition in Spring 2018 will be intense with Lytle in the mix. Whoever the starter is in 2018 will have earned it and will have the respect of his teammates. 2018 is setting up to be another year like 2016.

I like that our QB recruiting seems to have focused on putting a premium on accuracy the last 2 years. Noyer and Lytle are good sized guys who throw a very accurate and catchable ball. It all starts there at the QB position. Both remind me a lot more of Fales than they do of Sefo.

I like that our QB recruiting seems to have focused on putting a premium on accuracy the last 2 years. Noyer and Lytle are good sized guys who throw a very accurate and catchable ball. It all starts there at the QB position. Both remind me a lot more of Fales than they do of Sefo.
Noyer has a stronger arm than Fales too, which was all Fales was really missing.

You know that is just coach speak right? There are players that are going to start unless injured with no chance for others to unseat them. Period.

No. That is not coachspeak.

There are certainly guys who are going to be nearly impossible to unseat if they take care of their business. But anyone, if he's not doing his job, can lose that job.

It's only coachspeak from the standpoint of if an established starter does as expected the coaches will trust him to continue to perform in games and they're not going to bench him. But even with that, if a freshman WR comes in and kills it or someone like Huntley has the lightbulb go on, he's going to get a lot of reps and has an opportunity to join the 1s over even Shay, Ross or Bobo despite them all having very good junior years as starters.

Liufau for three years. This season he has earned it, the previous two not.

Coaches have favorites, guys they love and connect with. It is human. MacIntyre comes across as much less of an objective coach then guys like Saban or Carroll and more subjective like a Mac Brown or Barnett. Different styles and each coach needs to be true to themselves in order to succeed . All four coaches I have listed have had enough success to be considered a positive example.

Pretty sure Sefo earned to start of Gehrke and Apsay. That really had nothing to do with favorites and more to do with the talent behind him.

Coaches have favorites, guys they love and connect with. It is human. MacIntyre comes across as much less of an objective coach then guys like Saban or Carroll and more subjective like a Mac Brown or Barnett. Different styles and each coach needs to be true to themselves in order to succeed . All four coaches I have listed have had enough success to be considered a positive example.
Based on what we saw when Sefo went out, I'm pretty sure that he earned it.

Year 1, Sefo had his redshirt burned midway through the year. He became the starter over Connor Wood, Jordan Webb, and Jordan Gehrke.
Year 2, Sefo had the starting job because his backups were Jordan Gehrke and Cade Apsay
Year 3, Sefo had the starting job because his backups were Jordan Gehrke and Cade Apsay

Sefo was given the starting job because the coaching staff couldn't get anyone in here to challenge him for the position. I agree with him earning the job this year. He was the better of two good options. However in previous years, Sefo was the only option.

No. That is not coachspeak.

There are certainly guys who are going to be nearly impossible to unseat if they take care of their business. But anyone, if he's not doing his job, can lose that job.

It's only coachspeak from the standpoint of if an established starter does as expected the coaches will trust him to continue to perform in games and they're not going to bench him. But even with that, if a freshman WR comes in and kills it or someone like Huntley has the lightbulb go on, he's going to get a lot of reps and has an opportunity to join the 1s over even Shay, Ross or Bobo despite them all having very good junior years as starters.
The term "open competition" is absolutely coach speak from the standpoint that every player at the position are starting from square one and past performance and experience mean nothing. That's just not the case.

The term "open competition" is absolutely coach speak from the standpoint that every player at the position are starting from square one and past performance and experience mean nothing. That's just not the case.

Sure. But I didn't say that wasn't the case. I said that certain guys had earned the right to start out with the 1s. Some guys would have to beaten out. Some spots don't have a clear frontrunner.

Considering the competition, Sefo most certainly earned his starting spot. Was he going to lose out to Gherke or Apsay? No, he wasn't. That's not to say those two guys weren't given every chance to win the job. They just didn't.

Who else?

I'd still like to see both get starts in the first 3 games - not like any of them will be much of a challenge.

Back