What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

OC Lindgren

I don't think he's everyone's favorite right now, but I do think he's everyone's question mark. Even if it's to spell Sefo, those reps and that question mark are important. Like it or not, I still think Sefo is our best chance to win.

It may take some of the pressure off Sefo when the fans get a chance to see that the back-up isn't a miracle worker.

I agree with you that Sefo gives us the best chance to win. It does make sense though that we give Apsay some reps.

Gerke has shown that he isn't the future or even the present. If the role of the back-up is to manage things and give you a chance to win if the starter goes down I don't think Gerke does that. Apsay might and Apsay is likely to be at least the back-up in the future so getting him some reps could be a positive.

Expectations are that Apsay is a better runner and more mobile that Sefo, Playing him some may give defenses something more to at least think about preparing for. As often Sefo is getting hit it is reasonable to expect that we are going to need the back-up this season at some point. Lets get him ready.

It may also help Sefo some to have a few plays on the sideline to watch and evaluate what is happening on the field without having to worry about getting hit.

To the bolded. How do we know this? He has attempted 6 passes. He completed 4 of them. He has not thrown a TD. His only game experience was against the 3rd string of the worst team in D1. Sure his release was pretty quick, but at 66% he wasn't far more accurate than the starter.

The back up QB is everyone's favorite...

I've seen enough in person of Apsay to be 100% sure he has the quickest and most accurate delivery on the team.

What I do NOT know is how he would perform under pressure, especially the assault that Sefo has been seeing. Given that Sefo can't hit the broad side of the barn right now, I'd like to see what Apsay can do. It's possible that our OC knows the answer to that question, but I'd argue we don't know much until put in the pressure cooker (see Connor Wood). Nothing simulates gameday.

To Duff's point, the backup QB is always the most popular guy on the roster - sure. But in the case where your QB is obviously injured and NOT able to do the things you need him to do, what choice do you have? If Sefo is able to hit these quick slants, you go with him.

What kind of size does Apsay have? Are his stats correct? 6'1" 195?
With all the abuse Sefo is getting hit with that couple inches and an extra 45lbs makes a difference. Maybe they don't want Apsay getting killed.
If our line was better and could protect our QB, and Sefo was still playing the way he is, I think a change would be made.
With this line no QB is safe

Well maybe Apsay gets rid of the ball quicker than Sefo. Maybe Apsay is a bit more agile and athletic than Sefo and doesn't take the hits. Maybe Apsay can hit a quick slant. Maybe Apsay can read a D and know where the "hot route" is based on what he sees. Maybe Apsay makes Lindgren's game-plan look good. Then again maybe not.

There's a whole lotta maybes but we'll never know if they don't give it a try. It might be advisable to see what Apsay can do under P12 game conditions.

One safe bet is that we'll need to play a backup QB at some point this season. Maybe sooner rather than later.

Even Sefo at 240 can't take that abuse. Scheme is flawed. ASU didn't even disguise their blitzes. They just lined up and came.

Well maybe Apsay gets rid of the ball quicker than Sefo. Maybe Apsay is a bit more agile and athletic than Sefo and doesn't take the hits. Maybe Apsay can hit a quick slant. Maybe Apsay can read a D and know where the "hot route" is based on what he sees. Maybe Apsay makes Lindgren's game-plan look good. Then again maybe not.

There's a whole lotta maybes but we'll never know if they don't give it a try. It might be advisable to see what Apsay can do under P12 game conditions.

One safe bet is that we'll need to play a backup QB at some point this season. Maybe sooner rather than later.
My God! He's the 3rd string QB for cryin' out loud!

Wasn't Sefo a 3rd string freshman when they pulled the plug on Jordan Webb and Conor Wood?

You mean 4* Recruit Conor Wood? The Transfer from Texas? An immensely underwhelming player despite the hype?

Neither one of those guys showed much of anything.

You mean 4* Recruit Conor Wood? The Transfer from Texas? An immensely underwhelming player despite the hype?

Neither one of those guys showed much of anything.
Webb was awful. Connor Wood showed promise when he threw for 741 yards 6 TDs and 2 INTs in his first two starts for us before the wheels came off against the Oregon schools in his next two starts.

Webb was awful. Connor Wood showed promise when he threw for 741 yards 6 TDs and 2 INTs in his first two starts for us before the wheels came off against the Oregon schools in his next two starts.

So what your saying is that he withered under sustained pressure and lost his poise?

It's strange that a program like ours that has a history of pretty damn good OLs has struggled for so many years at this position group.

It's strange that a program like ours that has a history of pretty damn good OLs has struggled for so many years at this position group.

Pretty easy when you look at the age of the roster at O-Line

RS-SR Nembot
Jr Kelley
Jr Irwin
Jr Transfer Callahan
Jr Transfer Weifels

We have depth behind those 5, but they are underclassmen. O-Line is one of the positions that you need older guys. Most of the underclassmen simply don't have the size yet. The fact we only have 5 upperclassmen, is a direct result of Hawk not recruiting his last 2 seasons (RS-Seniors) and a lot of Embree's guys not cutting it at CU or not wanting to play at CU anymore.

When everyone is healthy I think our OLine is ok. It will be better in the future once the young guys grow, but its hard to quickly fix that position group.

2011:
Cotner - medically retired
Asiata - medically retired
Kelley - greyshirted due to injury - will be a 3 year starter
Mustoe - did not complete eligibility, proved massively over-rated

2012:
Irwin - out with ACL
Kough - greyshirted, now a SO and likely a 3 year starter

Basically, we got 3 guys who contributed out of those 2 classes and that's a big problem. But that's the way those classes worked out.
They were filled with guys who didn't contribute here. That's a killer.

And Miller, Kaiser, Haigler, Middlemiss and Lynott (along with Terriek Roberts from '16) better be the real deal because there's not going to be the 3-4 guys you need minimally each class in '16. In fact, the staff is specifically recruiting skill/athlete guys and seems to be very picky on the OL right now.

After seeing the analysis of the 1st several drives, there are a couple of conclusions for me.
1. If Sefo could make simple throws Buffs would be in games
2. Lingren puts Buffs in position to be successful if EVERYONE on team executes.

After the video break down, I am convinced that this team can win if they play perfect football.

Defense is a different story. I have a difficult time believing the can contain the likes of Stanford.

After seeing the analysis of the 1st several drives, there are a couple of conclusions for me.
2. Lingren puts Buffs in position to be successful if EVERYONE on team executes.

After the video break down, I am convinced that this team can win if they play perfect football.

Defense is a different story. I have a difficult time believing the can contain the likes of Stanford.

Not many teams can

Needing perfection for it to work is not putting the team in a place to be successful.

The decision by the staff to not pursue any JUCO offensive tackles and to take on some real projects like Miller, Lisella, Kaiser, and Haigler (along with losing Rodriguez late in the process) is why the depth at OT looks pretty poor right now.

The decision by the staff to not pursue any JUCO offensive tackles and to take on some real projects like Miller, Lisella, Kaiser, and Haigler (along with losing Rodriguez late in the process) is why the depth at OT looks pretty poor right now.
Did they not pursue it or not able to find anyone worth a schollie?

thank goodness callahan transferred back. That said, I usually don't get on the 4 star players must play hype train, but if Callahan has been able to step in and play tackle better than Lisella... WHY THE HELL was he not playing there earlier? Bernardi...

thank goodness callahan transferred back. That said, I usually don't get on the 4 star players must play hype train, but if Callahan has been able to step in and play tackle better than Lisella... WHY THE HELL was he not playing there earlier? Bernardi...

I am right there with you. Callahan was 2nd string RT at Auburn. Were we that set at OT that he needed to be moved to OG? Doubtful.

Yes - but it that progress?
In my mind progress would be a staff that adjusts its approach and game plan to fit the maximize the skills of the players it has, not put together the absolute perfect set of plays and hope the guys can execute. We don't have a top-tier passing QB, so expecting him to execute like one is setting him, and the team, up for failure. I don't see that as progress.

He was third string trying to win the backup job.
yea, 2d string or 3d string tackle at Auburn isn't the main point. My point is that he's apparently capable at the job here, but we instead threw a red shirt frosh into the fire who wasn't ready (sorry s2s). That's a coaching error.

Back