What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

OC Lindgren

yea, 2d string or 3d string tackle at Auburn isn't the main point. My point is that he's apparently capable at the job here, but we instead threw a red shirt frosh into the fire who wasn't ready (sorry s2s). That's a coaching error.

True. But I think it is part of a bigger issue: what was the contingency plan should Irwin or Nembot go down the last couple seasons? It is one thing to struggle to replace a starting guard or tight end on offense, but tackle is just a wee bit more important. And @buffaholic touched on it above-the coaches better hit on some of these projects at OT sooner rather than later or things are going to be just as bad going forward.

True. But I think it is part of a bigger issue: what was the contingency plan should Irwin or Nembot go down the last couple seasons? It is one thing to struggle to replace a starting guard or tight end on offense, but tackle is just a wee bit more important. And @buffaholic touched on it above-the coaches better hit on some of these projects at OT sooner rather than later or things are going to be just as bad going forward.
Yea... the plan was 1) Kronshage, 2) throw unprepared frosh into fire. Why wasn't Callahan, an apparently viable candidate, 1) identified, 2) practiced at tackle before the emergency? He hasn't practiced at tackle since he got here until the last few weeks...

Hope a guy stays healthy isn't a plan.

I have always been a believer in the adage that you win game on the LOS. We discuss ad nauseum Sefo and the RBs and schemes and the rest of it but it all starts up front and we have been a complete failure there.

I never did get moving Callahan to guard. Kid was a highly recruited prospect out of HS with a lot of other offers in addition to Auburn to play tackle. As a young player at Auburn he was down the depth chart but competing to move up . . . at tackle.

Suddenly Bernardi knows better and moves him to guard. It wasn't because we had an abundance of talent at Tackle. Irwin is our best tackle when healthy but if he plays in the pros I'd bet it is at guard. Nembot is an impressive physical specimen but even as a senior gets beat far to often. Our first solution for depth was to move a starting guard out to LT? And in all this Callahan gets used as a back-up guard.

I think Bernardi needs to go. His position coaching is certainly easy to question and his recruiting isn't up to speed.

yea, 2d string or 3d string tackle at Auburn isn't the main point. My point is that he's apparently capable at the job here, but we instead threw a red shirt frosh into the fire who wasn't ready (sorry s2s). That's a coaching error.

basically what I was getting at. We had a kid who was playing for a SEC powerhouse at tackle only for us to move him to guard. Then when we needed help at tackle due to injury we threw in a kid not ready to play instead of putting a kid in there who had played tackle at this level already.

Needing perfection for it to work is not putting the team in a place to be successful.

You're buying the proposed assertion that 11 guys have to execute "perfectly" for a play to be successful. I don't see that assertion supported in the clips or in the write up. From that, you are implying that a quality OC would be able to construct plays that work with minimal execution. Am I reading you right?

If there is an OC out ther who designs plays that are effective despite execution, then I want that guy too. That would be magical.

You're buying the proposed assertion that 11 guys have to execute "perfectly" for a play to be successful. I don't see that assertion supported in the clips or in the write up. From that, you are implying that a quality OC would be able to construct plays that work with minimal execution. Am I reading you right?

If there is an OC out ther who designs plays that are effective despite execution, then I want that guy too. That would be magical.
All 11 do not have the execute perfectly on every play for the offense to be successful, but all 11 typically have to execute "neutrally" on a consistent basis. The shovel pass clip, in the other thread, is really good evidence. If Callahan just does a serviceable job blocking their LB, that play potentially goes for big yardage.

All 11 do not have the execute perfectly on every play for the offense to be successful, but all 11 typically have to execute "neutrally" on a consistent basis. The shovel pass clip, in the other thread, is really good evidence. If Callahan just does a serviceable job blocking their LB, that play potentially goes for big yardage.
Great example. I think Lindgren might actually be pretty good at play calling. It's hard to tell when we keep making bad throws or completely miss blocks. We hit on one or two of those and suddenly we are moving the ball and getting into rythum and the play calling looks good. We had a ton of plays that were there against asu and we whiffed.
Not moving Callahan over to tackle is on the coaches. Lisella wasn't ready. And if Sefo is regressing that's on Lindgren (hopefully a good portion of the missed throws are related to the shoulder injury). But I don't think the play calling is a problem.

. But I don't think the play calling is a problem.

Mostly, I agree. However, when ASU kept showing blitz, we needed at least one receiver doing some sort of outlet pattern every play. There are times when we have a 4 receiver set (or trips and TE or an RB goes out) and all 4 are effectively running gos or double moves. Everyone has shown they're going to blitz us, we need an answer.

Mostly, I agree. However, when ASU kept showing blitz, we needed at least one receiver doing some sort of outlet pattern every play. There are times when we have a 4 receiver set (or trips and TE or an RB goes out) and all 4 are effectively running gos or double moves. Everyone has shown they're going to blitz us, we need an answer.
The frustrating part about this is that Sefo should have the knowledge/experience/freedom to make hot read adjustments to throw into the area where the blitz is coming from. They simply don't seem to be doing this sort of thing.

Is that on Lindgren or Sefo for not calling a hot route at the line?

The frustrating part about this is that Sefo should have the knowledge/experience/freedom to make hot read adjustments to throw into the area where the blitz is coming from. They simply don't seem to be doing this sort of thing.

Is that on Lindgren or Sefo for not calling a hot route at the line?

I don't know, but I guess if it were me, I'd make one hot route a default every play until they stop showing blitz every time, but to TSchekler's point, you may need to call which side you want it on. So, I'd lean toward that's a coaching thing.

I don't know, but I guess if it were me, I'd make one hot route a default every play until they stop showing blitz every time, but to TSchekler's point, you may need to call which side you want it on. So, I'd lean toward that's a coaching thing.
Yeah it shouldn't be a hard thing. Even at the high school level, we give our QB the freedom to identify the "more defender side" and make a quick audible to move the play away from the defensive strength. Sefo should have the ability to read where the blitz is coming from and make a simple call at the line to tell any one of his receivers to just sit down in the empty zone for his hot read.

I'd tend to agree.

Yea... the plan was 1) Kronshage, 2) throw unprepared frosh into fire. Why wasn't Callahan, an apparently viable candidate, 1) identified, 2) practiced at tackle before the emergency? He hasn't practiced at tackle since he got here until the last few weeks...
They were so convinced that Callahan didn't have the foot speed to play the position. Oops

I think that is Adam Gase. That Bears OL is basically tripping over each other and you have undrafted WR running the wrong routes. But it seems to be effective so far.

Sefo does not read the defense very well. Might be asking too much of him to make adjustments at the line.

Sefo does not read the defense very well. Might be asking too much of him to make adjustments at the line.
Bull****. I've worked with plenty of High School QBs who can make basic reads at the LOS and audible to a checkdown play. In fact, I only ran into one who couldn't. We aren't talking rocket-science here. ASU didn't even disguise it. The lined up and came over 50% of the time.

Bull****. I've worked with plenty of High School QBs who can make basic reads at the LOS and audible to a checkdown play. In fact, I only ran into one who couldn't. We aren't talking rocket-science here. ASU didn't even disguise it. The lined up and came over 50% of the time.

I agree he should but I am not sure he can. Anyone that has watched him live can see the open receivers. That might be more a symptom of having his eyes too close to the LOS, with our OL that might be understandable, but that is an issue no one can deny.

Maybe he didn't do it in high school but if he cannot now that is on the coaches. If they just will not let him that is also on the coaches.

Well, not seeing open receivers or not running thru his options (checkdowns) during a play is quite different than doing pre-snap checks/audibles at the LOS!

I know he can do the latter, but we seem to have struggled with the former.

Last edited:
HCMM needs to make a change with play calling. Lindgren is not getting it done.

Absolutely, his play calling is head scratching at times. We laughed in chat when we were running the ball late. Wtf was that about?

Lindgren got too cute last night with his play calling. Thinking he was going to be 2 plays ahead of UofA. That play at the end of regulation was utter garbage. Instead of falling, taking the first down, stopping the clock with 13 sec left, letting sefo spike it and have one deep shot and a hail mary shot, he has then run that stupid lateral bull****. Unbelievable.

If you are wondering why we suck complete ass at the end of games/halves, listen to the press conference last night and Mac's answer to why we ran the ball down 14 with 4 minutes to go. Complete lack of awareness on his part imo. It all starts at the top.

If you are wondering why we suck complete ass at the end of games/halves, listen to the press conference last night and Mac's answer to why we ran the ball down 14 with 4 minutes to go. Complete lack of awareness on his part imo. It all starts at the top.
Cliffs

Can someone please tell me why we ran that trick play reverse on the 3rd play of the opening drive??
Can't explain why but I'd guess Sefo has the choice to read that meaning whether to give it on the reverse or keep it on the option. He should of kept it because the option was there. It looked that way on tv anyway. How did it look for those that were at the game?

Can't explain why but I'd guess Sefo has the choice to read that meaning whether to give it on the reverse or keep it on the option. He should of kept it because the option was there. It looked that way on tv anyway. How did it look for those that were at the game?
It looked like a planned "trick" play to me.

Back