What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU Buffs hire former Minnesota OC Mike Sanford as their new OC

I am not opposed to that, although he’ll have plenty of options and doubt he would even consider it here, although we do play ****braska a couple times coming up and maybe he’d want to come here for that chance? I actually see him going to UCLA to be with Chip Kelly again.
Could be. I’m just throwing it out for discussion, I don’t expect it would happen, but strictly as an OC I probably like him better than Matt Wells if we’re talking recently fired HC’s.

Meh, most coaches are dickheads. The best season in recent memory was when CU hired a prickly dickhead to run the defense. It’s not a long term solution, but a little fire being lit on the staff wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world.
Yeah I pretty much thought the dickhead thing as I pressed the post button. If he doesn’t do the Analyst route in the SEC, he’d probably go back to Chip Kelly. He’s too much of a diva to go coach in a lower level. I’m sure his (future ex-) wife would LOVE to be in LA.

It might be worth a shot if Frost had an axe to grind against kNU, a couple years as an OC, beat the nubs in this next home and home. Then go on to Lala land to be with Chip if that’s what he chooses…

I would prefer that KD be the OC, and see him actually working with the team instead of the 20,000 mile stare.
Use the money on recruiting
When he fails, new staff anyway

I fully expect him to go through the Nick Saban coaching rehabilitation program, but would CU fans stomach the idea of Scott Frost as OC? Maybe too much hate there, but actually lots to like as an OC.

Otherwise, Chip Long is probably my favorite of those I’ve seen so far.
In a heartbeat.

Could be. I’m just throwing it out for discussion, I don’t expect it would happen, but strictly as an OC I probably like him better than Matt Wells if we’re talking recently fired HC’s.
If you were to evaluate him as strictly an OC his qualifications are very good.

Unless you have a very strong authority as a head coach (a Saban type) I don't see Frost as being close to a team player. Instead I see him as only worrying about advancing his career back into his next head coaching job.

His history in dealing with women from violence towards women and his noted infidelities would also present some ugly questions from the community in Boulder. There are other qualified candidates who don't bring those same unwelcome issues.

Please god, don’t do this to me. I’ve suffered long enough for whatever it is I did in my fandom to deserve the last 15 years. I can’t take it anymore…
Chev has some type of hold on this athletics department that pretty much sums up the entire football program. If and when he gets let go, there will be some major fireworks that should hopefully put even more pressure on the the two yokels in charge of that department.

Chev has some type of hold on this athletics department that pretty much sums up the entire football program. If and when he gets let go, there will be some major fireworks that should hopefully put even more pressure on the the two yokels in charge of that department.
He once won the Buffalo Heart award and, I believe, drives a Dodge Stratus.

Danny Devito Smh GIF

Liars. If he went 10-1 or 9-2 you’d jack off in the batroom while kissing his picture.

Matt Wells just jumped to the short list.
Read an article recently about why he didn’t work out at Tech. The article argued that a head coach needs to be elite at something (recruiting, organizational management/motivation, or offensive/defensive schemes). Interestingly, the article argued that Wells was not elite at any of these things, to include his offensive schemes. Granted, just one writer’s opinion, and you tend to have a pretty good feel for ball, but curious why you’re as high on him for OC as you seem to be.

Read an article recently about why he didn’t work out at Tech. The article argued that a head coach needs to be elite at something (recruiting, organizational management/motivation, or offensive/defensive schemes). Interestingly, the article argued that Wells was not elite at any of these things, to include his offensive schemes. Granted, just one writer’s opinion, and you tend to have a pretty good feel for ball, but curious why you’re as high on him for OC as you seem to be.
He's great working with QBs and his system is very balanced while working well with an athletic QB but being able to accommodate a QB who doesn't run much.

I also think that since it's not gimmicky, it's something that KD would embrace as a way to improve within the comfort zone so I see it as a fit.

My preference would actually be Spavital for system (assuming Texas State fires him as HC). But I don't know if going full Oklahoma State/ West Virginia style offense is something KD would actually do.

He's great working with QBs and his system is very balanced while working well with an athletic QB but being able to accommodate a QB who doesn't run much.

I also think that since it's not gimmicky, it's something that KD would embrace as a way to improve within the comfort zone so I see it as a fit.

My preference would actually be Spavital for system (assuming Texas State fires him as HC). But I don't know if going full Oklahoma State/ West Virginia style offense is something KD would actually do.
I wonder how much HCKD is going to let anyone vary from his slow mo offense. The UCLA folks seemed to think that, along with recruiting, was his downfall there. He was a disaster at Vandy as OC, and I wonder if the O this year is the KD special. If your HC's calling card is offense, and the O consistently sucks, what are you doing?

Having said all that, if CU is going to right the ship, they need a game changer OC. One with the chops to take the reins and run the O. If the OC has to do that to save the HC, again I ask, what are you doing?

I wonder how much HCKD is going to let anyone vary from his slow mo offense. The UCLA folks seemed to think that, along with recruiting, was his downfall there. He was a disaster at Vandy as OC, and I wonder if the O this year is the KD special. If your HC's calling card is offense, and the O consistently sucks, what are you doing?

Having said all that, if CU is going to right the ship, they need a game changer OC. One with the chops to take the reins and run the O. If the OC has to do that to save the HC, again I ask, what are you doing?
I hear you. fwiw, something I didn't mention but is a big driver of my Wells support is that I believe we'd have the guy in place to replace KD in a couple years.

Hiring an OC with the idea that he could be the guy to replace your incompetent HC a few years down the road makes no else sense to me at all.

Hiring an OC with the idea that he could be the guy to replace your incompetent HC a few years down the road makes no else sense to me at all.
Hiring an OC as a head coach in waiting makes no sense to me given KD’s contract. Hire a good OC and worry about the next HC when we get there.

Wasn't it LC that he had the dirt on?

Given that I'm pretty sure LC is the primary reason we have KD as HC now, getting him out might be a good side benefit of dismissing Chev.

Wasn't it LC that he had the dirt on?

Given that I'm pretty sure LC is the primary reason we have KD as HC now, getting him out might be a good side benefit of dismissing Chev.
Correct

An experienced off-the-radar hire would be Chip Hester. He orchestrated some of the most electric offenses at NCAT and Grambling. He also has Barton playing .500 football in its second year of existence. Not quite a PAC-12 schedule (lol), but his offenses produce.

Back