What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU Buffs hire former Minnesota OC Mike Sanford as their new OC

People listing big names and up and comers :LOL:. This is the Buffs we are talking about. If (and I doubt it) they go outside the current staff it is going to be some guy you thought retired 5 years ago and has been hiding in some analyst role on a mediocre NFL team.
Do they bleed black and gold, though?! Yes? Throw an elite-adjacent guaranteed salary contract at them…especially if they already have a house in Boulder.

I really like the job that's been done by Andrew Sowder at Kent State. Talent is not at the top of the MAC.

#13 offense in the NCAA for 2021.

I couldn't believe the 4 and 2 play call early in the 3rd quarter. What the actual. Same ****, different day, no creativity, no innovation. Totally right to go for it, but the play call was absolute ****.

I really like the job that's been done by Andrew Sowder at Kent State. Talent is not at the top of the MAC.

Let’s see, so the #13 offense or the #126 offense? They pass for almost as many yards (250) as we put up in total (275) per game? Yeah, he’d do.

Yes please!
These guys are going to be HOT very quickly and we will not be in line to get in on them.

Look. This guy had 15 million dollars show up at his house one fine afternoon. **** just happens for Karl. He doesn't have to do anything

325daf5d-435c-48de-95f9-a9268dd50f46_text.gif

Josh Grizzard, WR Coach, Miami Dolphins
to add to this since it's unlikely KD remembers anyone from beyond 4+ years ago

Chad O'Shea: was OC for the Dolphins the year Dorrell was there. Fired after year 1 of Flores, now PG Coordinator/WR coach for the Browns
Eric Studesville/George Godsey: current co-OCs for the Dolphins, both are definitely fired after this year because they're horrible. Great CU fits except Studesville is a RB coach and we have a RB coach lifer, but worst case just let someone learn coaching an entirely new position
Jerry Shuplinski: was assistant QB coach for the Dolphins the year Dorrell was there, doesn't seem to be climbing the chain very quickly so a sudden OC job for CU seems about right

I am not a big fan of Air Raid (he has probably already been mentioned before but not going back to look), but I'd at least interview Zach Kittley from Western Kentucky. He was at Texas Tech with Mahome as QB coach.

Kittley was with Houston Baptist last year and Western Kentucky this year, but both years have been elite.

In terms of offensive system, I've always felt that McCartney was right to recognize that option football was dying. He made the switch too early and the Nubs had their best run in their history by waiting longer (and getting recruits CU would have been snagging) on the heels of the national championship. But the big issue with the change back then and then the hiring of HCRN was that CU tried to be like what Miami and Florida State were doing so successfully with a pro style offense. What we didn't find (since it really wasn't around yet) was the modern evolution of the option attack.

That attack, which would have been custom built for a guy like Kordell was the stuff Rich Rod developed at West Virginia or Kelley brought to Oregon or Gundy's been doing at Oklahoma State or Urban's offense he has employed at Utah, Florida and Ohio State or what we're seeing in the NFL with the modernized West Coast Offense with the RPO integration that's taken the league over.

It's what fits CU's DNA.

That's a big part of why I hate Dorrell's offensive philosophy. It's the Neuheisel offense. It's why I couldn't stand Chev's attempt to make us an Air Raid team. I was more ok with the pocket focus of Hawkins with the Petersen offense and the Lindgren offense that could go pocket or dual-threat depending on the skill set of the QB or the Johnson offense that's dependent on massive B1G/SEC style OLs to go with a pocket passer. But none of those things are right for CU.

I believe what we need is an offense that's option based and relies on a dual-threat QB.

So give me an OC who brings us that.

It doesn't have to be Spavital (assuming he is even going to be available), but that's my profile -- someone who will bring one of the types of modern option offenses that makes sense for CU and, ideally, will have a network that will pull recruits from TX and/or CA.

In terms of offensive system, I've always felt that McCartney was right to recognize that option football was dying. He made the switch too early and the Nubs had their best run in their history by waiting longer (and getting recruits CU would have been snagging) on the heels of the national championship. But the big issue with the change back then and then the hiring of HCRN was that CU tried to be like what Miami and Florida State were doing so successfully with a pro style offense. What we didn't find (since it really wasn't around yet) was the modern evolution of the option attack.

That attack, which would have been custom built for a guy like Kordell was the stuff Rich Rod developed at West Virginia or Kelley brought to Oregon or Gundy's been doing at Oklahoma State or Urban's offense he has employed at Utah, Florida and Ohio State or what we're seeing in the NFL with the modernized West Coast Offense with the RPO integration that's taken the league over.

It's what fits CU's DNA.

That's a big part of why I hate Dorrell's offensive philosophy. It's the Neuheisel offense. It's why I couldn't stand Chev's attempt to make us an Air Raid team. I was more ok with the pocket focus of Hawkins with the Petersen offense and the Lindgren offense that could go pocket or dual-threat depending on the skill set of the QB or the Johnson offense that's dependent on massive B1G/SEC style OLs to go with a pocket passer. But none of those things are right for CU.

I believe what we need is an offense that's option based and relies on a dual-threat QB.

So give me an OC who brings us that.

It doesn't have to be Spavital (assuming he is even going to be available), but that's my profile -- someone who will bring one of the types of modern option offenses that makes sense for CU and, ideally, will have a network that will pull recruits from TX and/or CA.
Would Boyle ever want to become AD? Yknow, after winning a few natty's? 😁

Back