What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Offensive Line

Even though Sherman struggled last night, especially early, I thought he adjusted and improved as the game went on.

Kaiser, though, looked overmatched all night.

I want to see the youth movement.

From now on, start Sherman at LT and Fillip at RT. Give them pretty much all the snaps. Keep it going with Pursell at C to keep him developing. That's 3 freshmen OLs. Who should play pretty much every snap.

At guard, I'm not sure what the answer is. Haigler, Lynott and Tonz are 4th year juniors. They have to play like it. Moretti isn't ready due to health and health issues also made it so that Ray has to redshirt this season. Maybe Kutsch needs to get more run in there.
I like that plan. Lynott get snaps last night?

I think part of the problem is the constant rotation of the OL. We're halfway through the season. Theres no way Adam's doesnt know what he's working with at this point.

Pick 5 and stick with it
Yeah it’s getting ridiculous. Like the saying about the QB position, if you have 8 OL to rotate, you don’t have 5 that can play.

USC's line was not that great, but yes they were more stout and would have given the QB more time to hit longer plays, but our play calling hurt everyone.
The younger guys are the future, and although we are knee deep in this season, next year if and when Montez returns will be special. Need the young guys to grow up fast and finish the second part of the season off right. I would just play the young guys from here on out.

USC's line was not that great, but yes they were more stout and would have given the QB more time to hit longer plays, but our play calling hurt everyone.
The younger guys are the future, and although we are knee deep in this season, next year if and when Montez returns will be special. Need the young guys to grow up fast and finish the second part of the season off right. I would just play the young guys from here on out.

They averaged 2.3 yards per rush. I doubt the SC OL is feeling good about that.

Don't hear about many grad transfer linemen...Maybe this is an option to get our OL up to snuff a little quicker?? to the recruiting Gurus : Are there any grad transfer OL guys out there?

Don't hear about many grad transfer linemen...Maybe this is an option to get our OL up to snuff a little quicker?? to the recruiting Gurus : Are there any grad transfer OL guys out there?
Not typically something that comes up in October.

as good as they looked at the end of the asu game, they looked equally as bad against sc

Definitely a rough night. I think a lot of the issues come down to our scheme. We don’t use Montez enough in the run game, we don’t use a tight end at all and we don’t utilize the middle of the field in the passing game. Based off of that, opposing linebackers don’t have near the responsibilities they normally do and their job becomes a lot easier when it is usually the hardest job on defense.
I'm okay with using Montez sparingly in RPO, especially against USC and Washington.

as good as they looked at the end of the asu game, they looked equally as bad against sc

ASU had ASU level players on the front 7, USC had a whole different level. SC has down linemen on D who run as well as some of the ASU LBs do.

Unlike others here I had no problem with playing multiple OL against USC. Our veterans have experience to deal with some of the looks USC presented but aren't good enough athletically. Our young guys are much more athletic but don't have the experience.

We know how MM feels about playing young guys ahead of his veterans. The fact that he is willing to give substantial time to Sherman, Purcell, Filip, Morretti (even not fully recovered) says a lot about our upperclassmen on the OL. Experience helps but can't make up for a lack of talent.

We have a ways to go on the OL...they're good enough to win most games this year...but if we want to compete for championships this aint gonna cut it and is the main reason I wonder if MM is the long term solution. Until our OL can compete with USC and UW, we will be perpetual also-rans.

Huh? Montez is frequently running the RPO. Are you referring to the zone read/read option stuff?
Just meant that I didnt want Montez doing the running much, just enough to keep defenses honest, especially against USC and U-dub who have proven to have violent (read:valuable) front 7's where Montez could be injured more potentially. But yeah, gotta keep their D honest given whatever performance we see from the OL.

Just meant that I didnt want Montez doing the running much, just enough to keep defenses honest, especially against USC and U-dub who have proven to have violent (read:valuable) front 7's where Montez could be injured more potentially. With us not playing qb2 much in games, I feel that we need to preserve his health even if it means sacrificing a bit more offensive options, because qb2/3 is very unproven at this point. Thoughts on that?
I can agree with that. We'd likely be staring at 1-2 more wins if Montez got hurt, but at the same time, I think he could be utilized more than the 1-2 times/game. My confusion was with the RPO comment. RPO is not about the QB run. Reading the coverage defender to determine whether to hand it off to the RB or pull it and throw to the receiver.

I can agree with that. We'd likely be staring at 1-2 more wins if Montez got hurt, but at the same time, I think he could be utilized more than the 1-2 times/game. My confusion was with the RPO comment. RPO is not about the QB run. Reading the coverage defender to determine whether to hand it off to the RB or pull it and throw to the receiver.
Ah, I see. I mis-termed it. I thought RPO also included the option of the QB pulling it and running it right after keeping.

Last edited:
The o line played well enough to win. Sorry ass playcalling would make all americans look like d2 players. Predictable as hell and slow developing are not good combos.

Maybe swap SC’s lines with CU’s?

Couldn’t be CU’s D w/ CU’s O.

Speculative hypothetical either way.

Seems like a more direct path would be for CU to poach a respected OL Coach who has a sterling record as an ace recruiter which a history of developing NFL linemen.

The o line played well enough to win. Sorry ass playcalling would make all americans look like d2 players. Predictable as hell and slow developing are not good combos.

Getting whipped and letting the USC Front 7 get in Montez’ face for at least two full quarters of possessions seems like a bad job IMO.

Back