What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Offensive Line

2014 OL class:
Isaac Miller
Sully Weifels
Isaiah Holland
Josh Kaiser
They looked pretty damn good during freshman orientation.

IMG_0658.JPG

The main reason for hope next year is Filip, Sherman, Pursell, Callahan, Lynott, Haigler all come back with experience and 4 of them will still be sophomores. Then we also have Kanan Ray, whom I pray passes up Tonz in addition to the big bodied Roddick whom we don't what he in right now.

Our O line could be young next year but have experience at both tackle spots and center.

There is hope since all the guys listed were higher rates recruits than many of the guys we've started recently, but I'm not convinced we have the right coach or philosophy to develop them.

He is hearing whispers in his ear. MM and Roper like to slow it down. Keep it close have a chance in 4Q.

Hopefully montez would be more involved in the run game. Still need to pass it more than we are. Winfree and Brown are ballers and Jay Jackson has gained my confidence

The main reason for hope next year is Filip, Sherman, Pursell, Callahan, Lynott, Haigler all come back with experience and 4 of them will still be sophomores. Then we also have Kanan Ray, whom I pray passes up Tonz in addition to the big bodied Roddick whom we don't what he in right now.

Our O line could be young next year but have experience at both tackle spots and center.

There is hope since all the guys listed were higher rates recruits than many of the guys we've started recently, but I'm not convinced we have the right coach or philosophy to develop them.
I tired of hoping a long time ago. Something significant has to change.

Need a young, energetic recruiter or a very good, highly respected experienced technician to come in to help the line, having Adams and Bernardi isn't working.

Oregon State is a big signpost for this OL. Everyone has pushed them around. From what I'm seeing, the OL has not been improving as the season has gone on. If anything, outside of ASU, it's been a bad trend. Neither improvement nor worsening is a straight line, so it's hard to tell where they are headed, especially after the last two games against two of the most athletic defenses in the P12. The next game is game 8. 2/3 through the season. If they are going to improve or turn a corner, it's time to start showing it in a consistent manner.

If the OL isn't good, if not dominant, against OSU, I think you can throw out any hope that Adams is doing a good job with this OL.

Oregon State is a big signpost for this OL. Everyone has pushed them around. From what I'm seeing, the OL has not been improving as the season has gone on. If anything, outside of ASU, it's been a bad trend. Neither improvement nor worsening is a straight line, so it's hard to tell where they are headed, especially after the last two games against two of the most athletic defenses in the P12. The next game is game 8. 2/3 through the season. If they are going to improve or turn a corner, it's time to start showing it in a consistent manner.

If the OL isn't good, if not dominant, against OSU, I think you can throw out any hope that Adams is doing a good job with this OL.

Well done, this should be a blowout and agree with all you stated. We don't need another bad last half of the season.

I think he is a little lost at this point in the season. The constant shuffle is not helping in game 7

I think he is a little lost at this point in the season. The constant shuffle is not helping in game 7
Yea, it's one thing to do that when you are rolling or against an overmatched opponent. Doing it on the road against USC and UW... WTF?

How much better can they be next year? Serious question. I’m beginning to have doubt.
Not much. They will be better, addition by subtraction, Filip will be ready for more PT, hopefully Moretti can play but CU is still way behind the 8 ball quality and quantity wise on OL. 6 years of MikMac and it is still a GLARING problem.

Who's this Callahan guy?

Not much. They will be better, addition by subtraction, Filip will be ready for more PT, hopefully Moretti can play but CU is still way behind the 8 ball quality and quantity wise on OL. 6 years of MikMac and it is still a GLARING problem.

I think you nailed it. 6 years ago we had major problems at most positions on offense, defense, special teams and assistant coaches. All we really had was PRich, Spruce and Parker Orms. I'll throw in Kaiwi Crabb too, I always liked him.

By year 6 he has pared it down to just the OL (and another CB). Focus on recruiting this position group and MM will take another step in the right direction. I'll add that Polley and Ray, two 4 stars, who may contribute make the future look a little bit brighter on the OL. No doubt though, this is an area to be improved upon.

Edit: RB is pretty shaky too. Hagan is quickly running out of runway. Deion or Mangham better be a Home Run or MM needs to take a hard look at replacing DH.

Last edited:
I think you nailed it. 6 years ago we had major problems at most positions on offense, defense, special teams and assistant coaches. All we really had was PRich, Spruce and Parker Orms. I'll throw in Kaiwi Crabb too, I always liked him.

By year 6 he has pared it down to just the OL (and another CB). Focus on recruiting this position group and MM will take another step in the right direction. I'll add that Polley and Ray, two 4 stars, who may contribute make the future look a little bit brighter on the OL. No doubt though, this is an area to be improved upon.

Edit: RB is pretty shaky too. Hagan is quickly running out of runway. Deion or Mangham better be a Home Run or MM needs to take a hard look at replacing DH.

I believe Polley is gone.

Stating the obvious, Mangham is an unsigned commit. Not saying he’s not a solid commit but a lot can happen between now and signing day, both good and bad.

A good scheme can go a long ways in disguising a bad o line. Chev needs to adjust and change according to players/talent we have. MOntez can help the line out if Chev would let him move around? get him out of this so called "pocket" that never truly develops.

The OL is good IMO...but not good enough against the most talented teams in the PAC. If we want to compete for championships, they have to get a lot better...keep playing at this level and we'll forever be a 7-5, 8-4 program.

The OL is good IMO...but not good enough against the most talented teams in the PAC. If we want to compete for championships, they have to get a lot better...keep playing at this level and we'll forever be a 7-5, 8-4 program.
Yep, this is Mac's ceiling if he's going to stay unreasonably loyal to Adams and Bernardi.

I'd feel more comfortable making sweeping judgments about OL recruiting and coaching if Polley and Moretti were able to contribute. Getting essentially nothing from your two top recruits alters the picture quite a bit.

I'd feel more comfortable making sweeping judgments about OL recruiting and coaching if Polley and Moretti were able to contribute. Getting essentially nothing from your two top recruits alters the picture quite a bit.
Or if Polley hadn’t left the program.

it's not like Moretti's injury came out of nowhere. Obviously we still take him, but to excuse the ****ty OL because an injured recruit isn't 100% doesn't make sense to me.

it's not like Moretti's injury came out of nowhere. Obviously we still take him, but to excuse the ****ty OL because an injured recruit isn't 100% doesn't make sense to me.
Had Newman not gone to ****bailer, had Polley not left the program, and had Moretti had a typical recovery from ACL surgery, things might be dramatically different. That's why that kind of OL recruiting class should be the standard every single year, if MM wants to actually compete for Pac 12 Championships.

False.

Every program has players leave the program, every program has players get hurt. Winning programs recruit sufficient numbers over multiple years to be able absorb those losses.

Don't forget that Moretti would be off playing in the B1G had he not gotten hurt and pushed out the door in favor of a recruit who was ready to play and less risky.

Our OL recruiting has improved a lot in the last couple years but only to get closer to the level that we need to be at every year if we are going to have an OL that can compete against the better front sevens of the PAC.

The two teams we just played have multiple defensive players who will be drafted into the NFL. We respond by playing a couple of offensive linemen who would have to battle to start for many MWC teams. It's like we are bringing a T-Shirt cannon to tank battle.

Back