What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2016 Coaching Carousel Thread - How safe is Kevin Sumlin´s job?

EddieCrowder

Talk about crazy timing, you decide its time to fire the HC a week before the season starts ? Who is the rocket scientist that thought this was a good idea ? I mean yes there have been some allegations but this has to be the how to guide to screwing a program to death

Starts earlier every year...

Is Mike Bohn also the Illini AD?

oh wait, nm, for cause, school doesn't pay him anything...

There most have been than smoke to the Tim B abuse stories.

A peek into the Illini locker room last season...
1950_4.jpg

@MarkTupper: Offensive coordinator Bill Cubit has been named #Illini interim head coach. Beckman will not receive rest of salary or buyout. #dechr
@MarkTupper: Thomas said external investigationis not complete, but indicated he has enough information to feel dismissal is necessary. #dechr

Well done Illinois. Fire your coach nearly a year after the allegations, a week before kickoff. Top notch work right there.

Well done Illinois. Fire your coach nearly a year after the allegations, a week before kickoff. Top notch work right there.

And the investigation isn't even complete yet. If all they needed was preliminary information, they could have had this decision last winter.

Wow! One week before the season starts.

Apparently, an investigation revealed that he was mistreating players by forcing them to play through injuries and whatnot.

Deadspin
SBNation
ESPN

Wow. We can pretty much write Illinos off for the next three years at a minimum. They'll be dog crap this year, dog crap next year, and unless they get some kind of coaching genius, dog crap the year after that.

I applaud Illinois, they're sending an extremely powerful message that a neanderthal coach with absolutely no regard for his players will get **** canned regardless of timing.

Some of the stuff Deadspin reporting in addition to forcing players to play hurt, told medical staff to not report injuries and postpone treatment, and it sounds like he lied to players regarding scholarships their final semester of senior year.

Sounds like he got what he deserved but no idea how the school could have waited so long to fire the guy a week before the season starts.

Amazingly, one of the few times as a CU Buff in recent history that I can say "So glad that isn't my team."

my guess there is more to the story

I'd guess you are right.

Question is what do they know today that they didn't know 3-4 weeks ago at the start of camp? The allegations aren't new. They aren't the kind of thing that couldn't be investigated a long time ago.

Did they finally get the legal opinion that they could fire for cause, did he refuse or fail to comply with a plan or order to change his methods?

In terms of getting another HC job he is going to be toxic after this. Nobody wants to face the liability involved in hiring a coach who was fired for endangering students health. I wouldn't.

Should have happened last December. He and Cubit engaged in fisticuffs on the sideline the year before. Wonder how that staff responds in what is now certainly a lame duck year. And does anyone in the AD go down with this ship now that the smoke is billowing?

How are the facilities at Illinois? Is this an okay job or will coaches stay away?

They're completing a major overhaul of the State Farm Center (formerly Assembly Hall) for basketball. It was originally constructed in 1963. I don't know how successful they'll be in bringing it to modern standards. Their football facilities are quite antiquated, and the state faces huge deficits. I think it would be difficult to find political cover to do major upgrades at this time even with private money.

Hawkins still available....... Seems like a program needing a little Hawk-love right about now.

I'd guess you are right.

Question is what do they know today that they didn't know 3-4 weeks ago at the start of camp? The allegations aren't new. They aren't the kind of thing that couldn't be investigated a long time ago.

Did they finally get the legal opinion that they could fire for cause, did he refuse or fail to comply with a plan or order to change his methods?

In terms of getting another HC job he is going to be toxic after this. Nobody wants to face the liability involved in hiring a coach who was fired for endangering students health. I wouldn't.

THIS! Saved 'em $3 million, not exactly chickenfeed....but, dammed attotrneys always take too much time and want overwhelming evidence before stepping up!

Back