What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2016 Coaching Carousel Thread - How safe is Kevin Sumlin´s job?

I've heard the Ath. Dept. at USC is the root of the problem. It's a country club, they're delusional, and they've just never gotten over the Carroll years. If Haden's making the next hire, I have a feeling it will be another guy with a connection to Carroll. Watch them go after Rocky Seto.

Last edited:
What? The guy won ten games last season in the toughest division in the NFL.

They did. They were 8-8 the year before following a SB season then went 10-6. This year looks like it will be very difficult for them to make the playoffs.

Harbaugh is very good coach, as I stated his leaving would be mutual, they aren't going to fire him. The speculation would be that he sees a rebuilding task with a lot of salary cap tied up in Flacco and the normal turnover of veterans who need to be replaced. Maybe he decides that it is time to move on and try something else.

In that case USC would be able to pay him what he wants and give him the program where he could win big. Lots of advantages to living and coaching in LA.

As I started out pure speculation but stranger things have happened. Don't want to see it because he probably would be very hard to beat there.

They did. They were 8-8 the year before following a SB season then went 10-6. This year looks like it will be very difficult for them to make the playoffs.

Harbaugh is very good coach, as I stated his leaving would be mutual, they aren't going to fire him. The speculation would be that he sees a rebuilding task with a lot of salary cap tied up in Flacco and the normal turnover of veterans who need to be replaced. Maybe he decides that it is time to move on and try something else.

In that case USC would be able to pay him what he wants and give him the program where he could win big. Lots of advantages to living and coaching in LA.

As I started out pure speculation but stranger things have happened. Don't want to see it because he probably would be very hard to beat there.
John Harbaugh would have his choice of NFL gigs if he ever left Baltimore, I don't see him passing that up to coach in college.

John Harbaugh would have his choice of NFL gigs if he ever left Baltimore, I don't see him passing that up to coach in college.

You are probably correct. There is no indication that either he or the Ravens are interested in him leaving there at this point.

Speculation, and that's all it is, based on the idea that he might be getting tired of the NFL grind and want to do something different.

Coaching college can be less of a pressure cooker than the NFL is. College coaches are their own GMs in that they get to decide who they recruit and who they don't, who plays, who even stays.

The USC job might appeal to an NFL coach who has had enough and is ready to try something different.

Again the original post was based on nothing but a thought of what big name guy would appeal to USC who might want to look at something different than what he is currently doing.

Harbaugh has been with the Ravens much longer than most NFL coaches would ever imagine and has won big there. Nobody in the pros is permanent though. Who would have guessed two years before it happened that Shanny would be fired by Denver. Even Shula was shown the door in Miami although they tried to make it look the best they could for him. Harbaugh or some other successfull NFL coach might just say enough and when they do moving to LA isn't a bad gig.

Trying to get Payton out of NOLA is a very ambitious move.
He is one of two coaches to have ever achieved a winning record there, with Jim Mora being the other. He also won their only Supebowl.

On the other hand, he had that really difficult stretch where he was suspended in 2013 and the team simply hasn't been at that same Superbowl competitive level since. Here are the recent records:
2015: 1-3 YTD
2014: 7-9
2012: 7-9

I can easily see Sean being available at the end of the year.

You are probably correct. There is no indication that either he or the Ravens are interested in him leaving there at this point.

Speculation, and that's all it is, based on the idea that he might be getting tired of the NFL grind and want to do something different.

Coaching college can be less of a pressure cooker than the NFL is. College coaches are their own GMs in that they get to decide who they recruit and who they don't, who plays, who even stays.

The USC job might appeal to an NFL coach who has had enough and is ready to try something different.

Again the original post was based on nothing but a thought of what big name guy would appeal to USC who might want to look at something different than what he is currently doing.

Harbaugh has been with the Ravens much longer than most NFL coaches would ever imagine and has won big there. Nobody in the pros is permanent though. Who would have guessed two years before it happened that Shanny would be fired by Denver. Even Shula was shown the door in Miami although they tried to make it look the best they could for him. Harbaugh or some other successfull NFL coach might just say enough and when they do moving to LA isn't a bad gig.

Just to save everyone else some time ... Mtn is saying that a NFL coach has the following options: Stay in his current gig, take another NFL gig, take a college gig or take a year off. That´s a hard hitting take there, man.

He is one of two coaches to have ever achieved a winning record there, with Jim Mora being the other. He also won their only Supebowl.

On the other hand, he had that really difficult stretch where he was suspended in 2013 and the team simply hasn't been at that same Superbowl competitive level since. Here are the recent records:
2015: 1-3 YTD
2014: 7-9
2012: 7-9

I can easily see Sean being available at the end of the year.

And yet his rep as one of the very best NFL coaches has stayed intact (and I agree, he´s a really good coach). It´s his call whether he stays or goes, I guess, but I dunno if he has his eyes set on the college scene. If he called Jerry Jones, and he has ties to the Cowboys, I´d guess Jones would be very happy to accommodate him and create a vacancy. I´m reasonably certain he´s turned that job down before and that´s probably the most glamorous head coaching job in football.

I think there should be a race to see who can nab Tom Herman from Houston.....USC, Texas, he might be the 2nd coming of Urban Meyer, worth a shot.

Charlie Strong likely saved his job, good for him.

For now. I thought that game said more about Oklahoma (at best the fourth best team in that league) than Texas. This UT team is still bad enough to lose to an Iowa State, and probably goes 6-6 at best. Not only that, but I'd say that job (if they fire Strong) isn't as attractive as say, Miami (if for the sake of this post they were to make a change)---you've got a very talented QB in Kaaya already there and other talent........and thats before you start talking about the arrogant and entitled nature of that fan base. They'll get a name, sure, but could they pull an SC and hire somebody like Sarkisian (an OK resume with ties to your last dominant era)? Probably.

The ravens will be fine this year (They play Cleveland at home on Sunday and then the awful 49ers IIRC)....they'll get back to .500 with ease, and will be a factor in the AFC WC hunt (especially with issues in Pittsburgh, the incompetence of the Dolphins, KC quitting, and San Diego getting run all over by AP and then struggling to beat Cleveland at home last week). John Harbaugh isn't going anywhere, but I were Marc Trestman, I might spend some time working on my resume.

USC ran the "hire an NFL coach" play once. It worked spectacularly and they want to keep running it over and over again. I don't believe that NFL guys make good college coaches. It usually doesn't work.

The ravens will be fine this year (They play Cleveland at home on Sunday and then the awful 49ers IIRC)....they'll get back to .500 with ease, and will be a factor in the AFC WC hunt (especially with issues in Pittsburgh, the incompetence of the Dolphins, KC quitting, and San Diego getting run all over by AP and then struggling to beat Cleveland at home last week). John Harbaugh isn't going anywhere, but I were Marc Trestman, I might spend some time working on my resume.

You are correct in Baltimore having a real chance to come back and have a successful season after the rough start. It will be interesting what shakes out if they don't and yes Trestman could catch a lot of the blame.

I had only speculated (without any kind of evidence to support it) that Harbaugh might be ready for a change.

What makes him significant is that he is the kind of name that USC boosters might be willing to pay to get. Trestman could very well be out of a job but I don't see him having the kind of name that the Trojans would go after.

USC ran the "hire an NFL coach" play once. It worked spectacularly and they want to keep running it over and over again. I don't believe that NFL guys make good college coaches. It usually doesn't work.

Truthfully, most coaching hires don't work.

Puts me as a strong lean into the camp of sticking with what you've got if you believe he's competent.

Pete Carroll is a manager of people and knows how to handle today's athlete. USC needs another coach like that. Honestly, at USC you don't need to be a great recruiter, or even a great coach. Just an awesome motivator, get good assistant coaches and you will be golden, IMO.

We need a coach that can make a difference. Tired of the philosophical coaches and nice guys. We need a coach that's a dick. Showing he won't tolerate losing.

We have a mentality around CU that losing is ok. We need a coach that conveys that losing is not acceptable and will not be tolerated.

Last edited:
Schefter: Several teams, incl Dolphins, expected to inquire about Sean Payton after the season

We need a coach that can make a difference. Tired of the philosophical coaches and nice guys. We need a coach that's a ****. Showing he won't tolerate losing.

That's why I keep bringing up Pelini. He'd win and instill toughness. Doesn't matter that no one will like him.

pelini in boulder... that would be, uh, interesting.

i think we'll try for a p12 style coach if it comes to hiring a new coach. i keep hoping for the light to go on with the current regime and for it to result in some Ws. there will be choices if we need to make a change. for the first time in forever, i'd like to see a full national search, considering all options, including some "reach" candidates.

That's why I keep bringing up Pelini. He'd win and instill toughness. Doesn't matter that no one will like him.

Not sure if Pelini is the right guy but this team is not tough, mentally for sure. I am getting to the point where we need look at options and I am sure RG will have a full board of them to consider. This is not working

If he wins people will like him. Would be salt in the wounds for the bugeaters if we started being good again.

Not advocating for him. Just food for thought.

If sloppy seconds is the strategy for the next coach, I'd rather have Bob Stoops over Pelini.
Stoops has a better recruiting connections

Truthfully, most coaching hires don't work.

Puts me as a strong lean into the camp of sticking with what you've got if you believe he's competent.

This.
I understand Buff fans desire to see success on the field. MacIntyre was brought in here to do just that. He inherited a mess from the last coach, and the one before that. Players win games, and although MacIntyre is also responsible for recruitment of players, it takes years to see a change. A losing record doesn't help with getting good players.

Firing MacIntyre might be stupid. Which successful coach wants to come to a program that needs to start from the ground up but has a history of firing coaches during rebuild? There are many people who think CU was lucky to get MacIntyre from San Jose. What kid wants to commit to a team where their recruiter is likely to get fired and replaced by god knows who?

You guys are better off with some damn consistency for awhile. Patience sucks in this game, but doing what you been doing aint working either, and the prospects look worse as you continue.

Back