What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official CU-Utah Pregame Thread

The Utah game always seems to be the season ending barometer as to where our program is. I know this is a common refrain, but how the hell is Utah so much better than CU? They are so much better coached. Why the hell can’t CU build an excellent coaching staff? At least part of the answer is that CU doesn’t pay. Wittingham’s salary is $5.2 million, which ranks 3rd in the conference. KD’s salary is 8th at $3.2 million which is closer to the bottom than the top. Of course our issues go a lot deeper than that and have been discussed ad nauseam. The frustration just rises to the top when we play Utah.

The Utah game always seems to be the season ending barometer as to where our program is. I know this is a common refrain, but how the hell is Utah so much better than CU? They are so much better coached. Why the hell can’t CU build an excellent coaching staff? At least part of the answer is that CU doesn’t pay. Wittingham’s salary is $5.2 million, which ranks 3rd in the conference. KD’s salary is 8th at $3.2 million which is closer to the bottom than the top. Of course our issues go a lot deeper than that and have been discussed ad nauseam. The frustration just rises to the top when we play Utah.
The real difference is Utah pays, and they are smart enough to get what they pay for.

The real difference is Utah pays, and they are smart enough to get what they pay for.
But I’d bet they didn’t always pay. They hit on success starting with Urban Mayer who left after 2 seasons. Whittingham was on Mayer’s staff, was promoted to HC, and has steadily built success and has really gotten things rolling the last 4 years and is now getting paid. Mayer was a long time assistant before becoming HC at Bowling Green. He parlayed success there to get the Utah gig.

Last edited:
The key difference between Colorado and Utah...
Colorado ELECTS a Board of Regents who run the university under a highly politicized charter from constituents across the state who are mostly transplants from other parts of the country who couldn’t care less about the flagship university; Utah APPOINTS (Governor does it) an 18 member Board of Higher Education to staggered six year terms to limit political influence. Two of the appointees must be students.

The result, IMO, is a structure that looks out for the best interest of the institution (academic, image, competitiveness, etc.) without undue political influence from constituents who don’t give a rats ass about the university.

The problem with CU is the way it is governed. Period.

The key difference between Colorado and Utah...
Colorado ELECTS a Board of Regents who run the university under a highly politicized charter from constituents across the state who are mostly transplants from other parts of the country who couldn’t care less about the flagship university; Utah APPOINTS (Governor does it) an 18 member Board of Higher Education to staggered six year terms to limit political influence. Two of the appointees must be students.

The result, IMO, is a structure that looks out for the best interest of the institution (academic, image, competitiveness, etc.) without undue political influence from constituents who don’t give a rats ass about the university.

The problem with CU is the way it is governed. Period.
Great points. But the system didn’t keep us from success throughout the 90’s. And I realize recruiting has changed a lot since then. And Title IX has changed things. The big difference between then and now is that the football staff had more latitude in recruiting. Until “The Scandal” put the kibosh on that.

This is something I hadn't given much to but it is a good question. Interesting answers from Bliff that I didn't know but makes alot of sense. The difference between how Utah has done compared to us since joining the Pac12 isn't even close. Utah came out of the MWC and they have won 9 or more games 6 times since joining the Pac12 and are now in their 3rd conference championship game in the past 4 years.

That should help, not hurt.
Not necessarily.

When I lived in CA some years ago, and this was way before CU was in the PAC12, I couldn’t care less about Stanford or Cal or SJSU or Fresno St. Didn’t watch or go to any of their games or follow their results, etc. It was as if they were still thousands of miles away from me in a different conference. I did try to watch and follow all Buff games, cared waaaayyy more about what was going on back in CO. And if I were to have been asked on a ballot to vote about something that affected any of those institutions, I would have laughed out loud and done whatever.

Same is probably true today in CO. No one from IL, PA, NY, etc, who didn’t attend CU gives a rats ass about what goes on in Boulder and if they do care it only goes so far as to vote all the way down their party ballot regardless of the issue. They don’t understand the BOR, the issues, etc. and simply vote their party. And those that run for the BOR know this and can get elected and then push their agenda without actually caring all that much about what happens to the institution because their constituents, mostly, don’t care.
That’s my theorem anyway.

Last edited:
Wait. Are you suggesting we give Dorrell a raise? ‘Cause, it kind of sounds like you are suggesting we give him a raise.

Utah benefits greatly from having a large Poly community. They mostly shut down the state for recruiting. Utah HS football is probably a step above Colorado's as well.

Whittingham is a once in a lifetime kind of coach for them (he has never really been a candidate for anyone else for a reason). He is absolutely perfect for Utah and it will be very, very hard for them to replace him (I'd be surprised if they don't promote Scalley whenever this happens). Utah is the only game in town, so the state rallies around that. BYU also is a big player but that is obviously more tied with the Mormon religion.

Utah benefits greatly from having a large Poly community. They mostly shut down the state for recruiting. Utah HS football is probably a step above Colorado's as well.

Whittingham is a once in a lifetime kind of coach for them (he has never really been a candidate for anyone else for a reason). He is absolutely perfect for Utah and it will be very, very hard for them to replace him (I'd be surprised if they don't promote Scalley whenever this happens). Utah is the only game in town, so the state rallies around that. BYU also is a big player but that is obviously more tied with the Mormon religion.
Yeah, it’s kind of like SEC-lite in regards to fertile recruiting grounds and the university being the only thing around. They have the Jazz but from a football perspective Utah is it there, and while they don’t have nearly the talent GA, LA, FL and TX do, they get ALL the poly kids which make them dominant in the trenches and that’s how they win. They’ll never be a CFP contender, though, because they can’t attract the QB and skill players on a consistent enough basis, but they’ll always be able to go toe to toe with top programs in a one off game

If you want some fonder memories:
  • CU/UW 2021 just started on Pac 12 Mountain
  • CU/NU 2001 just ended on Pac 12 Mountain - I didn't know they had the rights to that. I missed it, but I'm sure it will cycle again in the next few days so I need to find it to record.

We all have a near certainty of what's going to happen and how bad it's gonna suck. We'll also all be tuning in to watch with that little voice of hope impossible to completely silence. It's sports. Weirder things have happened. There's a chance. It won't happen, but it still might happen. Best part is we get an extra day to recover from the hangover.

Back