What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official CU vs Arizona game day thread

It isn't as simple as RR just threw in an untested QB and got results. Like has been said he threw a 5th yr senior with serious wheels. UofA has so many explosive athletes that RR has gotten very good at finding ways to get them the ball. This is not the case with CU's roster, especially at the QB position.

Yeah, Randall is Arizona's 2nd leading rusher. Putting him in wasn't some revelation that Rich Rod had about Anu Solomon, but rather a complete change of pace that he knew we wouldn't be able to handle. Another case in point, why it's so important to have a true dual threat QB.
I understand we didn't prepare for him, but he took over the game and we were defenseless. I just don't get how we could be so completely flatfooted and surprised. I guess we don't have the speed or athletes to compete with a PAC second string QB. Nor do our coaches have the ability to adjust in real time.

I'm a dual Arizona/Colorado alum and watch my fair share of both teams.

Randall has made a few opponents look similarly beffudle to the Buffs, breaking through for massive runs. I don't think it's isolated to our coaches not knowing how to adjust in real-time. He's explosive and made a few throws that he wouldn't typically hit. I wouldn't put as much blame on the defense, did anyone notice how tired Zona's D was looking in the 2nd? It's on our offense and O-line to keep the pressure on. Us winning the Time of Possession battle is very misleading in this one.

I think another element of the frustration was that Colorado had pinned Arizona back on the 3 yard line when they decided to bring him in. Arizona proceeded to have back to back 90+ yard drives to take the lead. It wasn't like they were given a short field.

Randall has made a few opponents look similarly beffudle to the Buffs, breaking through for massive runs. I don't think it's isolated to our coaches not knowing how to adjust in real-time. He's explosive and made a few throws that he wouldn't typically hit. I wouldn't put as much blame on the defense, did anyone notice how tired Zona's D was looking in the 2nd? It's on our offense and O-line to keep the pressure on. Us winning the Time of Possession battle is very misleading in this one.
I can honestly say I have never seen a game change that quickly based on a player substitution. He must have some real deficiencies if Solomon beat him out.

I can honestly say I have never seen a game change that quickly based on a player substitution. He must have some real deficiencies if Solomon beat him out.

He isn't a great passer. As mentioned he made some passes he typically doesn't and all those passes were simple ones.

I understand we didn't prepare for him, but he took over the game and we were defenseless. I just don't get how we could be so completely flatfooted and surprised. I guess we don't have the speed or athletes to compete with a PAC second string QB. Nor do our coaches have the ability to adjust in real time.
I wouldn't disparage Randall as being a second string QB; he runs the read option as well as you can ask. He obviously lacks throwing ability, and that's what keeps him on the bench, but for what AZ asks him to do, he is pretty good at it. Even with a week of prep, it's a very hard thing to stop, as most base defensive schemes don't account for the QB as a primary running threat. MM said they prepared for Randall during the week, but it was definitely not their primary focus and they don't have the athleticism at LB that is needed.

I wouldn't disparage Randall as being a second string QB; he runs the read option as well as you can ask. He obviously lacks throwing ability, and that's what keeps him on the bench, but for what AZ asks him to do, he is pretty good at it. Even with a week of prep, it's a very hard thing to stop, as most base defensive schemes don't account for the QB as a primary running threat. MM said they prepared for Randall during the week, but it was definitely not their primary focus and they don't have the athleticism at LB that is needed.
Not that we need any special preparation and I understand not every QB is adept at running it, but if I were an opposing coach, I would make sure I had a number of read option plays in the game plan. We clearly do not know how to defend it.

We have that QB on our roster. Has been on the roster 2 years and could have been learning some zone read plays...instead, our genius coach is teaching him how to play outside linebacker, Go figure. His name is Awini

We have that QB on our roster. Has been on the roster 2 years and could have been learning some zone read plays...instead, our genius coach is teaching him how to play outside linebacker, Go figure. His name is Awini

He can't throw. He can run. Throwing is part of being a QB.

Stats at AFA

Awini was 21/42, for 275yds and an int
He had 220yds on 45att and 4 TD's when he ran it in the option.

Just thinking about some kinda change of pace (like az) did... our coaching staff keeps getting out coached. If something isn't working - They do "something" different. We keep running the same dumb plays.

are we really being out coached in the p12? I don't think there's been a single game where we had better athletes overall.

smart coaching.

Says Randall?

Randall is 24/50 with 278yds, 2TD's and 1INT this season passing. He has 48 rushing atts for 534yds and 5 rushing TD's

He is a transfer from LSU where he played defense.

So not only is Randall more effective at QB because he can throw TD passes, he is also almost twice as productive in terms of yardage when running the ball.

Either way both of them are **** passers. Awini was 50% on his career at AFA, and Randall is 48% at UofA

We suk done with arguing about how and why. We do. Coaches need to try something. All the other teams around the country do.

OUT

Back