What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official game thread - CU at USC

Actually, I thought the turnovers saved our bacon. That game would have been ugly without those turnovers. USC's domination of our offensive line and ability to neutralize the defensive line was the difference in the game. First time all year where CU didn't have the 'dudes' up front to hang with someone. USC has the best lines CU has faced all year(Which surprised me). If USC didn't have this propensity to shoot themselves in the foot they would be a very good team. Glad CU hung in and kept fighting when they were physically out matched. Kids showed a lot of heart. That doesn't make this a moral victory, but instead just a true reflection of where the team is right now. A good team, with kids that will fight until the end, but not one with quite the talent it needs yet.....but its coming!
I'm in this camp. This was an "almost" only in the sense that games have been an "almost" in the past 4 years. As in, we hung in there and almost got lucky in a one score game that would have been a two score game if Schuster hadn't of taken a knee. But make no mistake--we were soundly beaten by USC yesterday, and only our wonderful ability to create turnovers kept it close.

Truth. The biggest difference in talent was the line play...they were bigger, faster and stronger. Tho I will give props to the 2nd half D...they played well.
I'm not saying that we don't have a good team. I'm very proud of this team, and they played reasonably well yesterday, but not well enough. It was an unfortunate time for USC's talent to be pulling it together and playing well as a team. But make no mistake...the gap has narrowed considerably.

I'm not saying that we don't have a good team. I'm very proud of this team, and they played reasonably well yesterday, but not well enough. It was an unfortunate time for USC's talent to be pulling it together and playing well as a team. But make no mistake...the gap has narrowed considerably.
my frustration is that the window of opportunity for beating them is going to close quickly if helton has his QB. That kid is going to be good.

I agree. As far as talent goes, USC is the cream of the crop in the PAC. They consistently are in the top nationally for avg stars in recruiting...between them getting their act together and us not playing our best was kind of a perfect storm. We em at Folsom next year...we'll get the monkey off our back then!!!

Barnett was all over the line play last night, on both sides. We gotta fix that. Besides that, plenty of areas that need an upgrade. We have horses, we need thoroughbreds.

Even in hindsight it was the right call. You put it on your defense to get you the ball back in that situation. If there was two minutes left, then yes, go for it. With over four minutes, put yourself in a position to win the game after your defense gets you the ball back.

The D gave up 540 yards and did not force a 3-and-out all game. So you're going to rely on the D to do something in crunch time that they hadn't done all game?

I thought it was a head-scratcher.

In my mind, I believed if the game had 6 quarters instead of 4, we may end up winning comfortably. Going back and double checking the drive summaries, that really was not the case.

We forced 3 turnovers and a failed 4th down conversion on their first 4 drives of the second half. Unfortunately, their next drive was for 70 yards and the winning score and the final drive ate the clock (4:49 total).

USC was the better team in the trenches, and, I hate to say it after that goofball posted that preview, they had the more composed QB. Maybe Montez looks as good as Darnold if they swap lines, but that kid was good.

In my mind, I believed if the game had 6 quarters instead of 4, we may end up winning comfortably. Going back and double checking the drive summaries, that really was not the case.

We forced 3 turnovers and a failed 4th down conversion on their first 4 drives of the second half. Unfortunately, their next drive was for 70 yards and the winning score and the final drive ate the clock (4:49 total).

USC was the better team in the trenches, and, I hate to say it after that goofball posted that preview, they had the more composed QB. Maybe Montez looks as good as Darnold if they swap lines, but that kid was good.
i think montez was more composed. HE faced far more pressure and made way less mistakes. He just wasn't good enough last night. Darnold had all the time in the world most plays.

I caught MacIntyre's post game interview on the KOA radio show. The near-pick by Witherspoon and the inability for the CU D to stop USC after the FG were mentioned as pivotal moments that dictated the outcome of the game. He admitted to coming out flat in the first half. Have to watch some film, learn from this, and keep getting better. This is the main message.

Lindsey and Montez interviews were both about the offense taking responsibility for not doing their job. Lindsey's voice was rough and he came off as being understandably pissed. Montez recognized that USC and college ball is faster and bigger than anything he faced in high school. He pledged to learn from this and not to try and be a hero that attempts to win the game by himself and make bad choices.
How do you "come out flat" for this game?

i think montez was more composed. HE faced far more pressure and made way less mistakes. He just wasn't good enough last night. Darnold had all the time in the world most plays.
That's what I was trying to say as I finished my post. While we will never know for sure, I suspect you (and I) are right on this point.

That's the first game where we straight up lost in the trenches. Here's hoping it is the only one this year.

my frustration is that the window of opportunity for beating them is going to close quickly if helton has his QB. That kid is going to be good.
That's why we have to start recruiting close to on par with 'em.

But still, they pick at USC to be flat? Seems like bad prep IMO, maybe got too big of a head after being ranked.

I don't suppose they picked anyone to be flat against. They have sky high for every game so far, so it is to be expected they come out a little flat at some point in time. Would it have been better for them to come out flat against Michigan? Oregon? Oregon State with recruits in town? Maybe next week against ASU instead of this week against USC? College kids don't pick these things they just happen.

USC came out focused and determined. They have better athletes than we do. I don't think anybody here would deny that. So why are we all of a sudden claiming we came out flat? Give USC some credit.

We need to freaking bury ASU next week. Bury them deep. Hit Ballage so hard he thinks he's back in high school so he can re-assess his college choice.

USC came out focused and determined. They have better athletes than we do. I don't think anybody here would deny that. So why are we all of a sudden claiming we came out flat? Give USC some credit.

We need to freaking bury ASU next week. Bury them deep. Hit Ballage so hard he thinks he's back in high school so he can re-assess his college choice.
Concur with Sackman. The results were as much about USC being ready to play. When a team's performance is diminished there are other variables than "they came out flat".

I don't suppose they picked anyone to be flat against. They have sky high for every game so far, so it is to be expected they come out a little flat at some point in time. Would it have been better for them to come out flat against Michigan? Oregon? Oregon State with recruits in town? Maybe next week against ASU instead of this week against USC? College kids don't pick these things they just happen.
I know what you are saying but with that many kids from Southern California and the fact that USC is the most notable program in the conference, you would think coming out flat wouldn't be an option. I wouldn't prefer it but I would have much rather had the team come out flat against Oregon state because we are the way better team and can recover. Big games against big teams are where we need to be playing our best, look st Washington this year and Petersona prior history at BSU, he always has his team ready for big games.

Coming out and kicking ass at home versus Oregon State was much more important than winning versus USC on the road. Oregon State was a statement that the Rise is real to the group of recruits visiting and the fan base. To wish the team comes out flat in the home confrence opener makes no sense. This latest loss sucked (we had opportunity to win) but to be honest it was still a good result.

Back