What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Game thread: WBB Omni Classic Tourney (Fri & Sat)

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
THE GAMES: The University of Colorado hosts the 25th Annual Omni Hotels Women's Basketball Classic Friday Nov. 25 and Saturday, Nov. 26 at the Coors Events Center.

Friday, Nov. 25

Montana State vs. Wisconsin, 5 p.m.
Valparaiso vs. Colorado, 7:30 p.m.

Saturday, Nov. 26

Consolation, 5 p.m.
Championship, 7:30 p.m.

OWGSTLJPQNZGEMH.20111123215156.jpg
OMNI HOTELS CLASSIC: This is the 25th straight year Colorado has hosted an early season women's basketball tournament. For the first 22 years the tournament was known as the Coors Classic, and is in its third year of being called the Omni Hotels Classic. Colorado is 38-10 all-time in its home holiday classic and has won 14 of the 23 tournament titles contested. The Buffaloes won last season's classic by defeating Evansville and Loyola Chicago. No team champion was crowned at the 2006 Classic as the tournament switched to a true "Classic" format where Colorado and Wyoming played Nevada and Charlotte on consecutive nights, with the Buffaloes and Cowgirls winning both their games.

BROADCAST:
Colorado's games can be heard live on KKZN AM 760 with Mike Rice handling play-by-play duties. Live game video for Colorado games only will also be available for BuffsTV subscribers at CUBuffs.com. Live internet audio is available on CUBuffs.com, through the BuffsRadio free subscription.

OPENING TIP:
Colorado is looking for its first 4-0 start since the 2000-01 season.

ABOUT THE BUFFALOES:
The Omni Hotels Classic kicks off a season-high six-game home stand for Colorado. The Buffaloes are off to their first 3-0 start since the 2003-04 season after claiming an impressive 72-53 road win at Colorado State University on Nov. 20.

Colorado has shown early balance with four players averaging between 11 and 15 points per game and seven averaging at least five per contest. The Buffaloes are averaging 75.7 points over their first three games and shooting at solid 49 percent from the field (88-of-180), ranking second on the early season Pac-12 Conference statistics.

ABOUT THE CRUSADERS: Valparaiso is 0-3 overall, traveling to Boulder off a 67-55 home setback to Western Illinois on Nov. 22. The Crusaders, out of the Horizon League, have averaged 55 points over their first three games, shooting 35 percent from the field (60-of-173). Valparaiso has hit the glass well, averaging 44.3 rebounds per game and out boarding its opponents by eight per contest.

ABOUT THE BOBCATS: Montana State is 3-1 overall and has won two straight, cruising to home wins over Montana Western (83-50) on Nov. 17 and the College of Idaho (99-50) on Nov. 20. The Bobcats' lone loss this season came on the road, an 83-53 decision at Oregon State. MSU, picked to finish fourth in the Big Sky Conference by both the coaches and the media, is averaging 75.2 points per game while shooting 45 percent from the field and 77 percent from the free-throw line. The Bobcats have also played good defense, holding opponents to 59 points an outing and 37 percent from the floor.

ABOUT THE BADGERS: Wisconsin is 1-3 overall and will play at BYU Wednesday night before traveling to Boulder. The Badgers have dropped three straight following a 68-51 season-opening win at Milwaukee. Wisconsin is averaging 58.5 points per game, but registered just 52 and 51 points in recent losses at Marquette (54-52) and at home against Washington State (69-51). The Badgers are shooting 37 percent from the field and 74 percent from the free-throw line. Wisconsin has done well keeping its opponents off the boards, allowing a Big Ten best 28.5 rebounds per game.

Buffs have a good opportunity to get 2 wins and come out of this tourney at 5-0.

Anyone know if Arielle Roberson is over the back spasms and ready to make her debut?

Re: Arielle Roberson .... Article in todays BDC says neither Roberson nor Brenna M-P will be playing. Brenna still out with concussion affects and Arielle with back.

As for the games, its sounds like the toughest of the other 3 teams is Montana State. The Buffs should have an easy day with Valpariso today .. as long as they stay focused on their game ... and more of a challenge tomorrow against Montana State. But they should still come away with 2 wins.
Both Wisconsin and Montana State each have a Colorado player on their rosters so hopefully there will be some local support for those teams.

Wisconsin beat Montana State 71-61. Lady Buffs have to focus on winning their game tonight in front of their families and then win the tournament tomorrow.

I hope Brenna gets to play for Colorado someday. That poor kid has had so many injuries and illnesses during her time at CU. I am looking forward to seeing Arielle play also.

I'm glad that Wisconsin won. Much better for RPI that we're playing a Big 10 team, no matter what their final record ends up being.

Buffs are abusing Valpo like a trust fund princess in a supermax prison.

At the half:

Buffs 35
Valp 13

Jeffrey already with 14 points, 7 rebounds and 3 assists.

Nice win, Buffs!! Agree with Nik re: facing a B1G team. Regardless of whether the Badgers are struggling, it provides a "name" win and gives a nice RPI boost. Let's wrap this up tomorrow Buffs!

60-32. 2nd half was a walkover. Team should be fairly rested tomorrow for back-to-back games. Let's win this thing.

Well, now we know why I don't try to make a living forecasting basektball game scores. Wisconsin has some big posts and they play physical plus they have some good outside shooters. Montana State forgot, for way too much of the game, to box out at the Wisconsin end and forgot to guard at the 3 point line. I don't know if it was their plan but Wisc played almost every posession down to single digits on the shot clock. Maybe the game plan was to tire Montana State out by forcing them to defend for the full 30 seconds on each possession. Also, Wisc played quite a bit of zone defense so I hope the Buffs three point shooters are on tomorrow night.

As for the CU vs Valpo game, a slow start but a blistering finish to the first half left nothing in doubt. Even with several players getting way more minutes in the second half than in any other game, the Buffs managed to win both halves, even with the final outcome not in much doubt after about 10 minutes into the game. That said, the coaches will have some good film to use in working with several of the players on some things. Freshman forward Jen Reese who has been quite effective in the first 3 games sat out tonight, in addition to Brenna M-P and Arielle Roberson. From what I heard Reese hit her head in the game at Fort Fun last Sunday. Hopefully we start seeing some of the injured healing up and returning to play soon.

Coach Lappe said both Reese and Brittany Wilson got concussions at CSU. In the radio show before the game, Lappe said she is considering redshirting Arielle but Arielle doesn't want to do it. Remember when the Jasmina Ilic wasted a year of eligibility her freshmen year by insisting she could play and she fouled out of so many games? CU could have really used Ilic in what would have been her senior year if she had redshirted.

It was nice to see Ashley Wilson have a good game. Both Wilsons were anxious and excited to play well because their families are in town.

Glad Esther Lee got in and got to score. It takes dedication to be a walk-on.

Top 20 around the corner? Hell yea.
That would be premature IMO. The Buffs are 5-0 but are playing a comparatively soft non-conference schedule. If they can keep it up, win the games they should win (like probably the rest of the non-con schedule) and they stay strong into conference, then we can talk votes in the polls.

All tournament team : one each from Valpariso, Montana State (Katie Bussey, senior out of Alamosa), and Wisconsion (#2). And from the Buffs, Lexy Kresl and tournament MVP Chucky Jeffrey.

Way to make the most of your first two collegiate starts, Lexy. I'm really liking her. Tonight, once Wisconsion figured out she could shoot the three really well and they tried smothering her on defense outside the arc, she proceeded to drive to the basket and draw fouls. Then calming made 8 for 8 from the free throw line.

And yet two more nice games from Chucky. Tonight against Wisconsin she drew the defensive assignment on Wisconsin's best player (#2) for more than half the game. And Wisc was really making the Buffs play defense...they would go thru almost the full 30 second shot clock on every possesion until it got down to the last few minutes and they were down by 12 and had to try to score earlier in the shot clock if they had any hope of closing the gap. Collectively the Buffs defenders held #2 nicely below her average for both points and rebounds.

Thanx for the info BeBe. Nice to see the team get the W against a b10 school. How many of you thot the ladies would be 5-0 at this point in the season?

I freely admit that I was wary of hiring Lappe. I now think it was a great idea. She has proven herself to me. She is a hard worker and she has the team believing and working hard. She has them playing defense the way she was taught to play defense.

Not only did I not think they would be 5-0, I didn't think they would be rebounding so well. Kresl is playing extremely well. Jeffrey is Jeffrey and is a big time star now. She appears so cool under pressure. I hope the injured players get well and get to play. Sitting out 5 games, a player starts to get behind and can't catch up.

re: the injured players..... from the coaches talk last night... Brenna M-P should be back "soon". But they still do not know exactly what is wrong with Arielle and have broached the possibility of thinking a red-shirt season at this time. She, of course, wants to play. But since they don't even know for sure what the problem is, they can't take any chances with her health.

re: beating a B10 school.... Coach Barancyk (sp?) played at Iowa so she said that she was providing extra motivation to the team to beat this other Big10 school. Said the players didn't understand that there was a rivalry with Wisconsin, but she made sure they learned there was!

re: being 5-0 at this point.... thought they would be...No. Hoped they would be... Yes. The teams they have played are not top teams and that is a good thing for a Buffs team depending heavily on freshmen for big contributions. Yesterdays game against Wisconsin was by far their toughest test and they did great in meeting the challenge, especcially the physicality of the game.

Looking pretty damn good for a program that was picked to finish dead last in the pre-season media poll. More winnable home games coming up on the schedule:

Nov 30: San Francisco
Dec 04: Idaho
Dec 08: Denver
Dec 17: Weber State

Looking pretty damn good for a program that was picked to finish dead last in the pre-season media poll. More winnable home games coming up on the schedule:

Nov 30: San Francisco
Dec 04: Idaho
Dec 08: Denver
Dec 17: Weber State

They should be able to win all four of these games. I'm excited that I get to see the Lady Buffs on tv Wednesday.

I'm also loving Kresl.

Allsome. I'll DVR it so I can watch it when the men's game against the Lambs is over.

Back