What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Oregon Ducks (2-2) @ Colorado Buffaloes(3-1) Game Day Thread

I don't know what the Asst Coach did to draw the 15 yard 'unsportsmanlike' penalty, but MM totally diss'd the guy, putting his hands on him and pushing back twice, during the only ESPN game on at the time. He looked like he would have decked MM, if he could have w/o losing his job. Not very 'cool' on MM's part and may cause some dissension

Seriously - our LG got destroyed all night. That guy is going to get Sefo, and any successors, killed.
LG, LT, C all got crushed last night on most plays. RG and RT only got beat badly about a third of the plays each. Oregon was dominant at the line of scrimmage. That being said, or RT seems to be as good at LT as he is at RT....wait, am I trying to spin that as a positive?

I don't know what the Asst Coach did to draw the 15 yard 'unsportsmanlike' penalty, but MM totally diss'd the guy, putting his hands on him and pushing back twice, during the only ESPN game on at the time. He looked like he would have decked MM, if he could have w/o losing his job. Not very 'cool' on MM's part and may cause some dissension
I saw HCMM push him back too, but the guy also clearly should have gone back on his own, he kept intentionally getting right up behind HCMM when he knew HCMM was pissed.
That being said, here is my take on things. Doesn't matter what the assistant coach did, whatever it was, it was about as wrong as anything a coach can do. Why? Simple, the kids had been fighting hard, very hard. It was becoming obvious they were outmatched but the kids were still fighting, which meant they had a chance. Momentum was turning towards OU and then a coach goes out there and puts his kids in a terrible position by putting Oregon in the red zone. There is never an excuse for an assistant coach to get a unsportsmanlike call on him...and in this case it was like putting a dagger in his own kids. Therefore, I was glad HCMM went off on him, even if it was in the wrong place at the wrong time and even if he did cross some lines by pushing him back.

My final thoughts on the game.
1. I disagree with those that say there wasn't any talent from CU on the field. I actually saw more talent against a P12 opponent than I recall seeing from CU in years.

2. Sefo's shoulder is a bigger deal than people think. There were times when shots down the field were there....and except for the Spruce pass they didn't even try to hit them. CU has talent, if not size at the WR spot. Also Sefo has struggled more with accuracy the last two games than I recall seeing from him. He clearly is hurting. Not sure if him playing is helping or hurting the team because we haven't seen much of what is behind him.

3. I was so proud of the way the kids fought. They started to quit late in the third but that fourth down stop brought them to life and they didn't lay down again until about 6 minutes to go in the 4th. They did this while being beat up. These kids are tough....Last night was like watching a fighter refuse to go down while wobbling around the ring and taking roundhouse after roundhouse punch to a face that is bloody, bruised and battered. Hard to watch, but makes you so proud of the guy doing it.

4. Given CU's lack of great recruiting, the loss of Irwin at LT and the loss of Josh Tupou at DT are really showing up. Is there really much doubt that those two would have made a difference in CU's offensive and defensive lines holding up better? For now, the lines are still outmatched and likely will be against most P12 schools.

5. I hope the RB depth comes back soon. CU needs a change of pace.

I still think CU will have a chance against WSU and OSU. But the rest of the games will likely be more physical domination...oh and Oregon isn't going to win many P12 if they don't get something fixed at their QB spot.

Silver lining for those that aren't "done with MM and dad's COY coin".... The Buffs are still only 1 game off pace of what even the most optimistic fan predicted them to be at this point. This game showed very little, except for the fact that CU can play with a much better Pac 12 team, and will put themselves in position to win, if they don't turn the ball over.

I'm just tired of moral victories. Yeah they fought, blah, blah, blah. After the first series of the 2nd half I had a very bad feeling.

Please, no more late kickoffs, personally I was miserable and got home at about 2:00 am.

I saw HCMM push him back too, but the guy also clearly should have gone back on his own, he kept intentionally getting right up behind HCMM when he knew HCMM was pissed.
That being said, here is my take on things. Doesn't matter what the assistant coach did, whatever it was, it was about as wrong as anything a coach can do. Why? Simple, the kids had been fighting hard, very hard. It was becoming obvious they were outmatched but the kids were still fighting, which meant they had a chance. Momentum was turning towards OU and then a coach goes out there and puts his kids in a terrible position by putting Oregon in the red zone. There is never an excuse for an assistant coach to get a unsportsmanlike call on him...and in this case it was like putting a dagger in his own kids. Therefore, I was glad HCMM went off on him, even if it was in the wrong place at the wrong time and even if he did cross some lines by pushing him back.
At least he didn't chase the official all the way down the field after the game. That would've been REALLY uncool.

Tumpkin was out of line. I don't care what the situation is, an assistant coach should never be talking to the officials. The team is doing everything it can to hang in there and an assistant coach costs them 15 yards. Inexcusable, and I'm glad MM showed some fire and asserted his authority as the Head Coach.

Silver lining for those that aren't "done with MM and dad's COY coin".... The Buffs are still only 1 game off pace of what even the most optimistic fan predicted them to be at this point. This game showed very little, except for the fact that CU can play with a much better Pac 12 team, and will put themselves in position to win, if they don't turn the ball over.

Come on, man. This game showed our front seven on defense is still VERY bad.

And the "if they don't turn the ball over" disclaimer went out the window several games ago. This team turns the ball over regularly because that is who they are, period.

Come on, man. This game showed our front seven on defense is still VERY bad.

And the "if they don't turn the ball over" disclaimer went out the window several games ago. This team turns the ball over regularly because that is who they are, period.
They hadn't thrown an INT since Hawaii and, other than Nicholls, hadn't fumbled since then either. I throw out the fumbles against Nicholls because we could have turned the ball over 5 times and still won going away. Fact is, this year's team has not been overly turnover prone sans Hawaii. When they don't turn the ball over, they remain competitive. I agree about the front 7, though.

They hadn't thrown an INT since Hawaii and, other than Nicholls, hadn't fumbled since then either. I throw out the fumbles against Nicholls because we could have turned the ball over 5 times and still won going away. Fact is, this year's team has not been overly turnover prone sans Hawaii. When they don't turn the ball over, they remain competitive. I agree about the front 7, though.

That is fair, although I guess I was more talking Pac-12 games. 12 straight losses and we just seem to turn the ball over every week in conference play.

Either way, the talent is just not there on defense. No amount of scheming is going to overcome it and we have not even entered the heart of Pac-12 play.

That is fair, although I guess I was more talking Pac-12 games. 12 straight losses and we just seem to turn the ball over every week in conference play.

Either way, the talent is just not there on defense. No amount of scheming is going to overcome it and we have not even entered the heart of Pac-12 play.
I agree. I think JL did a pretty solid job with his game plan last night, and it was working quite well for a while. Eventually, talent is going to win out and we are definitely lacking in the front 7.

I agree. I think JL did a pretty solid job with his game plan last night, and it was working quite well for a while. Eventually, talent is going to win out and we are definitely lacking in the front 7.

I kept wondering where our LBs were all night. Did they make any plays all night?

There was a play that I saw on the replay where Gamboa was trying to run down a Duck player. It looked like he was running in quick sand.
If it's the play I'm thinking of, that was Oregon's 3rd string QB he was getting smoked by.

Wow. Just saw Mac's "discussion" with Tumpkin after the penalty. Hopefully that was a "heat of the moment" thing and they were able to give each other a big old man hug today. That was the most fire I've seen from Mac since the end of the Oregon State game last year.

Back