What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Pre-Game Thread CU vs Oregon

who is the 2d linebacker?

Talking about the defensive performance,

Said we gave up one run that popped out in the first half and that was discouraging, but we had one LB with his first meaningful playing time because two other outside line backers were out. One was inside the locker room watching the game on TV the other one was hurt, we will get both those guys back the nex...

I don't think McCartney got hurt in the CSU game, so unless something happened in practice, I don't know which other LB he would be talking about other than gillam.

Yes he did. Credited with 1 tackle but I don't know how many snaps he had.

Gillam is the only injured LB on the depth chart too.
That was his first game back then, he missed the previous 3 due to injury or maybe other.

That was his first game back then, he missed the previous 3 due to injury or maybe other.
I believe you are correct, this was his first game this season. Good to see he got out there, also good to see Awini out there as well. Going to need all LB's on deck ready to go against the Ducks.

http://www.campusrush.com/oregon-in-trouble-utah-tcu-injuries-1374259309.html - Coaches' comments on Oregon post Utah beatdown:

The Inside Read spoke to five coaches who have played or studied Oregon recently, and there's varied optimism. One coach pointed out there's still a chance that the Ducks can win the Pac-12 North, which is seemingly wide open. Multiple coaches pointed out that No. 10 Utah, which also dominated Michigan, could just be really good.

But many also say Oregon's flaws are too glaring to overcome this season, and the Ducks' listless defense may force Helfrich to make changes to his staff. The main criticisms of Oregon were in three areas: poor quarterback play, an overmatched defense and how those two factors are feeding off each other to produce lopsided results.

Adams is 5'11" with average arm strength and there's a reason he ended up at Eastern Washington instead of, say, Washington in the first place. "Vernon Adams is just a guy," said an assistant familiar with Oregon. "He put up numbers, but Eastern Washington is still putting up numbers without him. He wouldn't play at Ohio State or USC. Would he play at another great school? Probably not. He took a huge jump up."

"Their defensive scheme is really unsound," said an assistant coach whose team faced the Ducks. "They got away with it in the past because they were always so far ahead on the scoreboard, but I've always said, 'Put them in a tight game because they're not going to be able to hold up defensively.'"

To Pellum's credit, Oregon rebounded with a much stronger performance against Arizona in the Pac-12 title game, winning 51-13. But without Mariota to control the tempo, coaches are skeptical how competitive the Ducks can be. Oregon's secondary is easy to exploit because of their inexperience. Against Oregon, the Ducks started two freshman corners and no juniors or seniors in the secondary.

Oregon is No. 114 in pass defense, and the Ducks spent much of Saturday testing different secondary lineups with little success. The linebacking corps is average and the defense's only star, 6' 7" end DeForest Buckner, is easy to double-team because of the lack of playmakers elsewhere.

"They're not very good in the secondary," a Pac-12 assistant says. "They've had to try to help out in the secondary by playing more two-man or two- and four-drop more than they probably want to. The amount of two-man they've played is ridiculous. If you're able to keep them in two-man or two-high situations, you'll be able to run a little bit and still be able to take advantage of some of their cornerbacks."

Translated loosely, that means Oregon's run defense suffers because the pass defense needs so much help. Around the Pac-12, it's easy to see the SOS—Oregon is on the ropes and no one is sure if the Ducks have the personnel to turn things around.

Hmm. This could be a big day for our running backs.

Oregon's only wins have come against FCS teams (Eastern Washington and Georgia State). They have not beat a FBS team yet this year much less a P5 team. Would be very nice to see that streak continue.

A couple duck fans over on DucksAttack.com seem to be pretty concerned over their conditioning. Especially with the lineman. Altitude may play a factor this time. Quackers seem to be overall nervous. A few tini's over there still expect to win by 40.

looks and sounds like the stars are lining up for us. Buffs have to play good sound ball - the quacks got holes to expose.

i would think I had died and gone to heaven if Cal could curbstomp Oregon like Utah just did. But running a close second to that (well maybe not all that close, but still second) would be seeing CU humiliate the Ducks. God that would be sweet. C'mon Mountain Hippies, ger 'er done.

Xoxoxoxoxo,

Your Ocean Hippie Brethren
Is "ger 'er" some sort of ursular colloquialism?

Grain of salt, but still, PFF agrees that Oregon has QB problems and Sefo is making the smart play. That said, I really expected him to drop after missing those throws this week. it might be a teaspoon of salt at this point.

Grain of salt, but still, PFF agrees that Oregon has QB problems and Sefo is making the smart play. That said, I really expected him to drop after missing those throws this week. it might be a teaspoon of salt at this point.

His stats were OK, even with the overthrows. Had those throws been closer, but still incompletions, I don't think Sefo would be getting the criticisms he's getting now.

I'm not down on Sefo like some, but I'd also point out that the advanced stats guys didn't see poor Bobo running around wide open, and I mean WIDE open, on several plays without nary a glance from the QB.

I'm still favorable towards Sefo. Really hope he can sling it around this week like he was last year (minus the killer turnovers).

I'm not down on Sefo like some, but I'd also point out that the advanced stats guys didn't see poor Bobo running around wide open, and I mean WIDE open, on several plays without nary a glance from the QB.

They will have to hit those plays if they happen this week. Nicholl's defense was the slowest we'll see all year. Wide open players may not be a luxury anymore.

I'm guessing they don't dock him for not throwing to an open receiver down field because he had the play's primary target open in the flat as well. If the flat guy is his first read and he's open, that's where he's supposed to go with the ball, so up to that point, he did everything right. The overthrows, themselves, will dock him a few points but that's separate from how they grade him going through his progression.

I'm guessing they don't dock him for not throwing to an open receiver down field because he had the play's primary target open in the flat as well. If the flat guy is his first read and he's open, that's where he's supposed to go with the ball, so up to that point, he did everything right. The overthrows, themselves, will dock him a few points but that's separate from how they grade him going through his progression.
To be clear, on the few Bobo plays, of which I'm thinking, and one with Nelson (suprisingly), Sefo ended up throwing the ball away. No complaints from me if he hits another open receiver.

To be clear, on the few Bobo plays, of which I'm thinking, and one with Nelson (suprisingly), Sefo ended up throwing the ball away. No complaints from me if he hits another open receiver.
If that's the case, I would definitely think they would ding him for not finishing his progression, especially if he had time. A few of the ones I noticed were instances where he had guys open all over the place and just air-mailed the throw 10 feet over an open receiver's head about 7-8 yards in the flat.

PFF aside, I think we all agree that he needs to be better on those type of plays going forward.

If that's the case, I would definitely think they would ding him for not finishing his progression, especially if he had time. A few of the ones I noticed were instances where he had guys open all over the place and just air-mailed the throw 10 feet over an open receiver's head about 7-8 yards in the flat.

PFF aside, I think we all agree that he needs to be better on those type of plays going forward.
No, I'm aware of the missed open receivers on the side lines. He saw the guys, just had issues with his release. I'm talking about three occasions of wide open receivers, with time, when he eventually threw it out of bounds (deliberately).

Back