What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Spring Practices Thread

Adam at 247 and Brian Howell did a nice analysis of spring practice so far. Check it out in the newsroom link.

I think the depth concerns are going to be there all year at some spots. DL and safety sound especially thin.

Hope they are right on RB, but not having a feature back to rely sounds like a glaring issue to me.

I think the depth concerns are going to be there all year at some spots. DL and safety sound especially thin.

Hope they are right on RB, but not having a feature back to rely sounds like a glaring issue to me.
Very few feature backs in this day and age. Most teams split carries between 2 or more guys.

Very few feature backs in this day and age. Most teams split carries between 2 or more guys.

Splitting carries does not mean it comes at the expense of a clear starter. 50 players had at least 200 carries last season.

So, in your world, competence at running back is irrelevant? I don’t get that quote.
Running back is the easiest position in football. The Steelers used a college TE at running back last year, and there was not much of a drop off from Connor who wasn't much of a drop off from Bell.......

Running backs are a dime a dozen.

Running back is the easiest position in football. The Steelers used a college TE at running back last year, and there was not much of a drop off from Connor who wasn't much of a drop off from Bell.......

Running backs are a dime a dozen.

This isn’t professional football with multiple players who were good in college. We don’t have a good OL and even worse running backs. It seems like you think you can put terrible running backs behind a marginal line and be okay.

This isn’t professional football with multiple players who were good in college. We don’t have a good OL and even worse running backs. It seems like you think you can put terrible running backs behind a marginal line and be okay.
That's literally the opposite of what I said.

Who you have running back doesn't matter if the line doesn't open holes.

That's literally the opposite of what I said.

Who you have running back doesn't matter if the line doesn't open holes.

It is not the opposite. You said that the running game is based on the OL. Last year, we had a god awful OL and a good feature back who was able to get some production in spite of the terrible line in front of him. This year, our OL will be marginally improved but the RBs much worse. That is an area of concern.

It is not the opposite. You said that the running game is based on the OL. Last year, we had a god awful OL and a good feature back who was able to get some production in spite of the terrible line in front of him. This year, our OL will be marginally improved but the RBs much worse. That is an area of concern.
I don't see how the rinning backs are "much worse". McMilian was a slightly above average back. Plus, there's nearly nothing that separates one running back from another.

I don't see how the rinning backs are "much worse". McMilian was a slightly above average back. Plus, there's nearly nothing that separates one running back from another.

You don't think there is much that separates RBs? Speed? Size? Catching ability? Toughness?

Also, go back and look at Travon's game by game numbers. Against the meat of our schedule the running game was stifled, regardless of who got carries, and McMillian was bolstered by a handful of huge outlier runs.

You don't think there is much that separates RBs? Speed? Size? Catching ability? Toughness?
You left out the most important trait, vision. Mike Hart was a 4.77 forty guy.

Most running backs are interchangeable. Plus, none of those traits matter if the line can't block.

1) How come none of the RBs aside from mcmillian got meaningful carries last season? If the guys who are back this season would’ve been any help, they would’ve given mcmillian more of a respite. Instead, the secondary running option was Montez. Big gap. Then Evans. Big gap. Everyone else.

2) You keep asserting that there’s no meaningful difference between RBs, but have not proven it. If there were truly no difference all players would produce at the same rate behind the same line.

You left out the most important trait, vision. Mike Hart was a 4.77 forty guy.

Most running backs are interchangeable. Plus, none of those traits matter if the line can't block.

Not everyone is cut out to take the mental and physical beating a RB takes. In fact, most are not. The best ones thrive on it.

Yes, the line plays a part, but there are many instances where a RB can make the line worse.

1) How come none of the RBs aside from mcmillian got meaningful carries last season? If the guys who are back this season would’ve been any help, they would’ve given mcmillian more of a respite. Instead, the secondary running option was Montez. Big gap. Then Evans. Big gap. Everyone else.

2) You keep asserting that there’s no meaningful difference between RBs, but have not proven it. If there were truly no difference all players would produce at the same rate behind the same line.
If you think #2 is anywhere near making a point, I don't know what to tell you.

This isn't some narrative I alone have created, lol.

Its fairly widely accepted that the running back position isn't important anymore because their success is almost entirely dependent on the O line.

Not everyone is cut out to take the mental and physical beating a RB takes. In fact, most are not. The best ones thrive on it.

Yes, the line plays a part, but there are many instances where a RB can make the line worse.
Trent Richardson is a prime example of your second point.

Back