What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official time for Jon Embree to RESIGN Thread

With good coaching, this could be a 6 win team. Embo isn't the guy...he's a class act and loves the program, I wish it translated into Ws.

6 wins? Really? Who are the coaches that would pull this off for 700k? Because that's my question. Fire the guy, ok fine. Who are you going to replace him with?

We are paying our coaches less than football powerhouses like Temple, Kentucky, Northwestern, and Navy. That is sad.

6 wins? Really? Who are the coaches that would pull this off for 700k? Because that's my question. Fire the guy, ok fine. Who are you going to replace him with?

Maybe not six wins, but I feel like many of the coaches on this list could have beaten Sacramento State:

Sonny Dykes
Mario Cristobal
Treadwell
Malzahn
Craig Bohl
Ellis Johnson
Doug Marrone
Kennedy Pola
Rodney Garner
Venables (not sold, but he'd come.)
Justin Wilcox
PHillip Montgomery
Frank Solich (yeah, Fusker, but he could stabilize the program)
Rocky Long
Dan McCarney
Larry Coker
June Jones (would have to pay more for him, but he intrigues me.)

Last edited:
It all comes down to this. We are in a forum about cu football and all we can do right now is bitch and moan and search for answers. Right now calling for the coach's head is the only option we really have. But realistically NOTHING will happen through the end of the season, so honestly there is no point in complaining or saying Embree should be fired. We can analyze what is wrong, and assert ways to change it (other than just saying we need a new coach) but otherwise all we can do is hope things change for the best.

No excuse whatsoever. His "We're going to have to work on things" leaves me wondering, "And are you thinking of making them BETTER or WORSE?!!"

Obviously, he's taking this program DOWN DOWN DOWN. His "next level" is to a depth that CU Football has never seen before, but homefield fans got an gameful of that yesterday.

He probably HAS resigned. He's just still collecting a paycheck AND taking up the space. You sure can't call "losing to Sac State" as being ANY part of doing his job.

Maybe not six wins, but I feel like many of the coaches on this list could have beaten Sacramento State:

Sonny Dykes
Mario Cristobal
Treadwell
Malzahn
Craig Bohl
Ellis Johnson
Doug Marrone
Kennedy Pola
Rodney Garner
Venables (not sold, but he'd come.)
Justin Wilcox
PHillip Montgomery
Frank Solich (yeah, Fusker, but he could stabilize the program)
Rocky Long
Dan McCarney
Larry Coker
June Jones (would have to pay more for him, but he intrigues me.)

What is the source of the pay raise you would need for several of these names?
What inclination do you have that any of these guys would want to come to CU?

What is the source of the pay raise you would need for several of these names?
What inclination do you have that any of these guys would want to come to CU?

pay raise would come from the Pac 12 windfall (but not sure CU would pay it.... cheap bastards)
pay enough $$ and there will be interest

I am more than willing to give him respect. But I also want to stop hearing about how much he loves the Buffs every time criticism is lobbed his way as well. Two completely separate issues.

I am under no illusion that anything will change after this season. I think realistically Embree will get 2013 as a last shot. Either way, there need to be a lot of changes made in several areas if CU wants to get serious about winning in football.

I don't see that happening. Academia is steering the ship.

OK. Maybe I wasnt clear. I am not defending JE for the job he is doing as HC. I just think the guy deserves a ton of respect. Nobody was going to take this job unless it came with a dumptruck full of $100 bills, and diSteffano wasnt going to fill a Smartcar with pennies. The reason JE got the job was his willingness to sacrifice for the good of the program, and defer compensation until he had proven himself. He took the job because he knew he would try harder than anybody else to turn the Buff program around, and figured that would be enough. Obviously, it isnt. I dont believe in tearing a guy down that is trying as hard as JE is, or someone as committed as he is to the program. He wants to win for the Buffs as badly as we want him to win. There are probably less than 10 people on the face of the earth that could turn this program around in a hurry, and its not Jon's fault that he isnt one of them. I think the guy deserves better than being called names by the fans.

There is a reason you never go back. Tarnished.

I am numb and I wonder if I even care anymore. I do believe this however:

- JE is a good Buff that desparately wants CU to succeed because he has love for CU and its history (unlike the last HC); he deserves respect for that alone
- JE was one of a very few HC options that could be bought at bargain prices.
- JE is demonstrating that he is not yet experienced enough to take on this challenge... maybe sometime later, but certainly not now.
- JE will not be fired before the end of the season and likely not before the end of 2013. (why get our panties in a bunch about a decision that has no chance of being made anytime soon)

I am as frustrated as the next Buff fan. Like I said, numb at this point. Sad that the only silver lining to this whole thing seems to be that we are finally at the bottom (I hope). How could we possibly sink lower?

Like JE... I don't know quite what to do.

academia... yeah, CU is suckin hind teet on that two behind Stanford, Cal, UCLA, USC, and they have much better FB teams than we do. The moronic leaders of this school need to realize that.

Bottomfeeders until the ashholes leave. Other schools are going to paying us to be their cupcake team.

We are paying our coaches less than football powerhouses like Temple, Kentucky, Northwestern, and Navy. That is sad.

And frankly - CU overpaid to get Embree. Who else wanted him as a coach, other than the Washington Redskins?

If CU had hired someone with experience, they certainly would have paid more. But when you hire someone who has never even been a coordinator (on ANY level) you don't open up the checkbook for him.

CU has plenty of money to pay a coach $1.5 to $2.0 mil starting out. But the person they pay that money to has to have the resume to deserve that kind of pay day.

OK. Maybe I wasnt clear. I am not defending JE for the job he is doing as HC. I just think the guy deserves a ton of respect. Nobody was going to take this job unless it came with a dumptruck full of $100 bills, and diSteffano wasnt going to fill a Smartcar with pennies. The reason JE got the job was his willingness to sacrifice for the good of the program, and defer compensation until he had proven himself. He took the job because he knew he would try harder than anybody else to turn the Buff program around, and figured that would be enough. Obviously, it isnt. I dont believe in tearing a guy down that is trying as hard as JE is, or someone as committed as he is to the program. He wants to win for the Buffs as badly as we want him to win. There are probably less than 10 people on the face of the earth that could turn this program around in a hurry, and its not Jon's fault that he isnt one of them. I think the guy deserves better than being called names by the fans.

Agree 100% with this. Moreover, firing him today makes the university looks like the biggest knee jerk douche factory in all college athletics. He will get a reasonable amount of time to demonstrate his coaching ablities or inabilities, and if/when that time comes the fans can push him out. Respectfully.

You know what I really feel bad for... the players and their families, especially the new freshmen. JE sold them on CU football's past and his vision of CU football's future. I hope they like the school because as far as football is concerned he sold them a bill of goods. How duped they must feel.

academia... yeah, CU is suckin hind teet on that two behind Stanford, Cal, UCLA, USC, and they have much better FB teams than we do. The moronic leaders of this school need to realize that.

Bottomfeeders until the ashholes leave. Other schools are going to paying us to be their cupcake team.

It's been posted here before that, supposedly, Cal and the rest relaxed their requirements for athletics. Different standards. How many kids since Barnett failed to qualify? Is it possible we're not targeting those players because we know they will not get in? I dunno. But where there is smoke there is fire. I'm suspicious.

And to dump fuel on this fire we went out and hired a career position coach that's now learning on the job. For a school with so many smart people we sure seem pretty dumb.

It's been posted here before that, supposedly, Cal and the rest relaxed their requirements for athletics. Different standards. How many kids since Barnett failed to qualify? Is it possible we're not targeting those players because we know they will not get in? I dunno. But where there is smoke there is fire. I'm suspicious.

And to dump fuel on this fire we went out and hired a career position coach that's now learning on the job. For a school with so many smart people we sure seem pretty dumb.

You're suspicious because you do not know any better. Do you realize that at least one high profile recruit in the 2012 class who is now starting somehow got through the vaunted admissions window you seem to know nothing about?

And frankly - CU overpaid to get Embree. Who else wanted him as a coach, other than the Washington Redskins?

If CU had hired someone with experience, they certainly would have paid more. But when you hire someone who has never even been a coordinator (on ANY level) you don't open up the checkbook for him.

CU has plenty of money to pay a coach $1.5 to $2.0 mil starting out. But the person they pay that money to has to have the resume to deserve that kind of pay day.

When you have a chancellor, like DiSteffano, that gave Hawkins an extra year when even his most ardent supporters could see he had lost the team. And, he orchestrates the next hire to save financial resources instead of trying to make up for the lost year. You think he is looking to open the checkbook and do what it takes to turn this thing around?

His focus is on CU becoming a premier research university, and his fundraising and spending reflect that. It doesnt help our cause that CU is setting records in fundraising even with the football team stinking up the field. Csu is also setting fundraising records, though well below CU, but their administration sees football as important in being the face of the university. They have not shown success, yet. But, they are ambitiously planning on being a winning program. Think about that for a minute. csu is more dedicated to having a strong football program than CU. Until DiSteffano leaves, the goal for football is mediocrity, not excellence. When you strive for medicrity, and fail, the result is what we saw yesterday.

For being a Pres that is worried about academic prestige and the endowment, CU's prestige has fallen in his tenure.

When you have a chancellor, like DiSteffano, that gave Hawkins an extra year when even his most ardent supporters could see he had lost the team. And, he orchestrates the next hire to save financial resources instead of trying to make up for the lost year. You think he is looking to open the checkbook and do what it takes to turn this thing around?

His focus is on CU becoming a premier research university, and his fundraising and spending reflect that. It doesnt help our cause that CU is setting records in fundraising even with the football team stinking up the field. Csu is also setting fundraising records, though well below CU, but their administration sees football as important in being the face of the university. They have not shown success, yet. But, they are ambitiously planning on being a winning program. Think about that for a minute. csu is more dedicated to having a strong football program than CU. Until DiSteffano leaves, the goal for football is mediocrity, not excellence. When you strive for medicrity, and fail, the result is what we saw yesterday.

Excellent post and spot on.

What can we do right now?

Maybe instead of venting our wrath on Embree (even if he does deserve to recieve some) we make sure that the regents know that the current priorities are not in the best interest of the university.

Phil has to retire sometime and Benson is likely nearing the end of his run as well. Hirings on that level have to be made with the approval of the regents and the regents have the power to influence the priorities of the search. Let's not repeat the same problems with the next hires at those positions. If the regents, and the regent candidates, hear it often enough we can hope it sinks in. To much money and public attention is at stake to continue the current path.

We'll see some change ups, but he won't abandon the team. He should find Mac and attach him at the hip. Bring him to every practice, every meeting, and basically have a co-coach

We'll see some change ups, but he won't abandon the team. He should find Mac and attach him at the hip. Bring him to every practice, every meeting, and basically have a co-coach

Coach Mac hasn't coached football in 18 years. Why would it be a good idea to bring him on the staff again?

Embree failing will finally end the Buffs need an alum to coach the team narrative that solely needed to be killed. Buffs need a good coach period. I don't care if he graduated from Nebraska. Buffs need a competent coach. Next time let's hire one

Back