What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official WBB Game Thread: CU hosts Northern Arizona (11/11 @ 5:30pm)

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
THE GAME: The University of Colorado women's basketball team opens its 38th season by hosting Northern Arizona University on Friday, Nov. 11, at 5:30 p.m. at the Coors Events Center.

BROADCAST: Friday's game will be broadcast live on KKZN AM 760. Mike Rice will be at the call with Carol Callan of USA Basketball providing the color commentary. Live video of Friday's game can be seen on BuffsTV, a subscription service through CUBuffs.com. Live audio is also available through BuffsTV free of charge.

OPENING TIP: Colorado is a perfect 25-0 in overall season openers played at home.

FRIDAY NIGHT DOUBLEHEADER: Both men's and women's teams open the 2011-12 season Friday night at the Coors Events Center. The women play Northern Arizona at 5:30 p.m., with the men taking on Fort Lewis at 8 p.m. Half-price tickets are being offered, with reserved seats starting at $7.50 for the men's game while mid-court seats are available for $10. For the women's game, reserved seats are $5, with mid-court seats priced at $7.50. More information: call 303-492-8337 or 800-872-8337, or email cutix@colorado.edu.

ABOUT THE LUMBERJACKS: Northern Arizona returns three starters and eight letterwinners from its 2010-11 team that finished 11-18 overall and seventh in the Big Sky Conference at 6-10. The Lumberjacks were picked to finish sixth by the coaches and seventh by the media in the annual Big Sky Preseason Polls.

Junior guard Amy Patton is Northern Arizona's top returning player, leading the Big Sky in scoring last season at 16.4 points per game. Tyler Stephens-Jenkins also returns for the Lumberjacks, ranking second on the team in scoring at 9.4 per outing.

Northern Arizona defeated Azusa Pacific, 79-66, in its lone exhibition game on Nov. 4. Patton nearly had a double-double with a game-high 22 points and nine rebounds. She also dished out six assists. Sophomore guard Amanda Frost, a transfer from Fullerton College, made her unofficial Lumberjack debut with 15 points on 6-of-9 from the field along with five steals.

BUFFS IN OPENERS: Colorado is 32-5 (.865) all-time in season openers and will start the season with a home game for the 26th time in 38 seasons. Colorado is an outstanding 35-2 (.946) all-time in home openers. Colorado has never lost its overall season opener when played at home (25-0).

Based on Lappe's notes on the pre-season scrimmages, the keys to look for tonight for our Buffs are in the transition game. We need to avoid giving up easy baskets and we need to score when we've got fast break opportunities.

Defense and rebounding need to be great and tonight is where it starts.

We will also need to find efficiency on the offensive end while finding who our "go to" scorers are going to be this year and starting to figure out our rotations. I'm also looking to see whether someone steps up and takes command of the point guard position.

Finally, I want to see whether we've improved in the paint, whether we have some shooters who can open up the court, which vets have added to their games, and which newcomers are going to make an impact. Openers can tell a lot. Hopefully we'll have a lot of answers to the laundry list of questions this team enters the season with.

I think the talent is there to have a better season than 2010's NIT run, but a lot has to come together and we can't waste non-conference opportunities for wins like last year's squad did.

Nice start to the season for our Buffs.

84-60 win. Wasn't really that close. The game was like 35-9 toward the end of the first half and we let off the gas. This team could be good.

From my understanding Lexy Kresi continued to shoot the three well. How she gets it off without a block is beyond me but congrats to them.

From my understanding Lexy Kresi continued to shoot the three well. How she gets it off without a block is beyond me but congrats to them.

It was Northern Arizona, not Stanford.

She did pretty well in the first half, but was almost a non factor in the second half. Although I felt like Lappe was playing around with lineups a lot to try some new stuff, so its hard to tell if was being shut out, or the offense they were running wasnt looking to her much.

I watched online and I, too, felt that Lappe was mixing up the line-ups. The Lady Buffs were so far ahead that she had the luxury to try things. I'd like to know why Jeffrey didn't start and how she felt about it. Ashley Wilson had a tough game due to early foul trouble, picking up 3 fairly early in the first half and then a 4th in the 2nd half. She was another non-factor. Gave sister Brittany and Kresl a chance to do more. The true tests will come as the competition gets better.

I missed this, but from CU's website:

LEXY'S RECORD NIGHT: Freshman guard Lexy Kresl had a memorable collegiate debut making 5-of-6 3-point attempts in the first half of CU's 84-60 win over Northern Arizona. She tied a school record for 3-pointers made in one half, a feat that had happened five previous times by three players. Bianca Smith, who was the last person to hit five in one half (vs. Nebraska on Jan. 31, 2009), did it three times. Kate Fagan and CU Athletic Hall of Famer and All-American Shelly Sheetz are the other two.

Back