What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

OK...our chances against The Ohio State U?

This will be road loss #19. We don't have the O-line and CU will probably wait until the 2nd or 3rd quarter to start playing football again. Only way I saw we even stay in this game is if we have zero penlites, Hansen doesn't have one poorly thrown ball, No dropped passes, O-line wins the battle, and we start playing football on the first snap. Since they are having some offensive problems of their own I think we only lose by 14 to 17 points.

Hey, we only need six of those epic 10 minute drives to ensure a W... I think we can do it! :)

Seriously though, I would take the points on this one but have a hard time predicting a win. It is Ohio State after all... but this is about as good of a time to play that program as any so here's to it being a good game!

Is that true? Ted Miller had this to say today: "Honorable mention to Colorado freshman punter Darragh O'Neill who averaged 49.2 yards on six punts against Colorado State with a long of 56 and two killed inside the Colorado State 20-yard line." Curious how that is regressing?

because Snow says so that's why
http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle....=255&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=600&ATCLID=205273516
Although FCU has already made the relevant point, I will show the reasoning behind my statement Darragh kicked the ball 7 times for 306 yards which averages out to 43.7 yards per punt. However, the net punting average was 34.7. That is atrocious. It happens because Darragh is kicking the ball too low. He is outkicking his coverage, and not in a good way. This allows CSU to get 12.4 yards per return, which is effing atrocious as well. CU averaged 4.5. Against a team with better athletes *cough* OSU *cough*, that will result in big BIG back breaking plays.

And this is not even discussing the fact that his release is slow enough to allow teams to get to him, allowing 2 punts to be blocked in the first 3 games. NOT GOOD.

You may rep me now.

http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle....=255&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=600&ATCLID=205273516
Although FCU has already made the relevant point, I will show the reasoning behind my statement Darragh kicked the ball 7 times for 306 yards which averages out to 43.7 yards per punt. However, the net punting average was 34.7. That is atrocious. It happens because Darragh is kicking the ball too low. He is outkicking his coverage, and not in a good way. This allows CSU to get 12.4 yards per return, which is effing atrocious as well. CU averaged 4.5. Against a team with better athletes *cough* OSU *cough*, that will result in big BIG back breaking plays.

And this is not even discussing the fact that his release is slow enough to allow teams to get to him, allowing 2 punts to be blocked in the first 3 games. NOT GOOD.

You may rep me now.

I see! That makes sense to me... I'm surprised (though perhaps I shouldn't be) that Ted Miller got the numbers wrong. (Not to digress into punting but...) I think net yards per punt is a good statistic to look at... I guess I've always thought that had more to do with the coverage rather than the punt itself. But what you say makes sense! I will admit that I haven't focused much on punt trajectory in the past but I'll definitely look at it going forward. Regarding his punting stats though... he had a decent (?) game against UH with 42.6 net yards per punt but only 31.3 against Cal and the aforementioned 34.9 against CSWho. I'm not sure that I would consider that regressing but it surely needs to improve!!

I do like that he pinned two inside the 20 though. I'd be alright with no touchbacks and all punts ending up behind the 20!! ...of course I'd be even more happy with zero punts! Regardless... rep delivered... thanks for the schooling. ;)

I see! That makes sense to me... I'm surprised (though perhaps I shouldn't be) that Ted Miller got the numbers wrong. (Not to digress into punting but...) I think net yards per punt is a good statistic to look at... I guess I've always thought that had more to do with the coverage rather than the punt itself. But what you say makes sense! I will admit that I haven't focused much on punt trajectory in the past but I'll definitely look at it going forward. Regarding his punting stats though... he had a decent (?) game against UH with 42.6 net yards per punt but only 31.3 against Cal and the aforementioned 34.9 against CSWho. I'm not sure that I would consider that regressing but it surely needs to improve!!

I do like that he pinned two inside the 20 though. I'd be alright with no touchbacks and all punts ending up behind the 20!! ...of course I'd be even more happy with zero punts! Regardless... rep delivered... thanks for the schooling. ;)
Hang time is an extremely important part of successful punting. 40 yards with good hang time >>> 60 yards with bad hang time.

His first punt was a thing of beauty. If he can harness that, he'll be special. But after the first one, they were all very low. He needs to work on his drop and point of contact. But even his low ones had a decent spiral.

You may rep me now.

You are assuming we may have to punt. :thumbsup: Even so, I'm quite sure that will get worked on this week. Speedy and Rippy back home, CU coasts on a wave of emotion and juice boxes. Neg rep me it I'm lying.

I went over there and threw up from the comments. Mostly from some guy named Snowbuff. Hell, I could have just stayed right here at Allbuffs and thrown up.

FiFY. I thought that dog looked familiar.

You may rep me now.

For every blocked or substandard punt this season, I'm going to neg-rep UBL. I would encourage others to do the same.

I was amused by this quote from the Buckeye Planet board:

"Colorado is not a good football team, probably worse than Toledo"

My thought: So you're saying Colorado has a decent chance, eh?

They have discovered that you can eat buffalo. The BBQ jokes are, to them, the height of wit.

Strange thought, but CU has the more experienced QB, the best RB and WR on the field, and better special teams. We have a shot.

ohio.jpg

I DO like this (see Waiting List):
RANKTEAMRECORDCOMMENT
167.gif
1.New Mexico0-3"Loose lips sink ships (War Advertising Council)": Mike Locksley's battleship is all but sunk; the Lobos are 2-25 in his two-plus seasons in charge. Maybe he'll let his assistants do more coaching in Saturday's game against FCS foe Sam Houston State.
2006.gif
2.Akron0-3"When it rains it pours (Morton Salt)": The Zips had three turnovers returned for touchdowns -- a 54-yard fumble return and interception returns of 36 and 53 yards -- in the first half of last week's 59-14 loss to Cincinnati.
98.gif
3.Western Kentucky0-3"Don't leave home without it (American Express)": The Hilltoppers can't leave home without a loss, falling to FCS foe Indiana State 44-16 last week, their 17th consecutive home defeat. WKU will try to end the dubious losing streak Oct. 1 against Arkansas State.
2226.gif
4.Florida Atlantic0-2"We bring good things to life (General Electric)": The Owls have played dead during their first two games, losing to Florida and Michigan State by a combined score of 85-3. They may have to wait to be brought back to life -- defending BCS national champion Auburn is up next.
olemess_50.gif
5.Ole Miss1-2"The ultimate driving experience (BMW)": The Rebels are more like the not-so-ultimate driving experience. Against Vanderbilt, seven of the Rebels' 14 possessions lasted four plays or fewer and ended in a punt or turnover.
249.gif
6.North Texas0-3"Reach out and touch someone (AT&T)": The not-so-Mean Green allowed 586 yards of offense in last week's 41-0 loss at Alabama and rank last among FBS teams in total defense, allowing 559 yards per game.
5.gif
7.UAB0-2"It takes a licking and keeps on ticking (Timex)": Tulane held the football for nearly 42 minutes and gained 540 yards of offense in a 49-10 rout of the Blazers last week.
2309.gif
8.Kent State0-3"The quick picker-upper (Bounty)": The not-so-Golden Flashes lost at Kansas State 37-0 last week. They can only hope for relief against FCS foe South Alabama on Saturday.
23.gif
9.San Jose State0-3"We try harder (Avis)": The winless Spartans were driving for a go-ahead touchdown against Nevada, until throwing an interception in the end zone with 1:10 left in a 17-14 loss. If they play as hard, they might defeat New Mexico State in this week's Pillow Fight of the Week.
103.gif
10.Boston College0-3"So easy a caveman can do it (GEICO)": Maybe not. The Eagles lost their third straight game when they missed a 23-yard field goal with 43 seconds to go in a 20-19 loss to Duke last week.

ESPN.com's Bottom 10
Waiting list: Arizona State's offensive line, Auburn's, Buffalo (1-2), BYU's turnovers, Connecticut (1-2), Duke (1-2), East Carolina (0-2), Indiana (1-2), Kansas' run defense, Marshall (1-2), Maryland's suspensions, Memphis (1-2), Miami, Ohio (0-2), Middle Tennessee State (0-2), Minnesota (1-2), Ohio State's offense, Pittsburgh's collapse, South Carolina's extended stays, Tulsa's late-night football, UNLV (1-2), Washington's special teams. defense

I'm prepared for a really, really ugly offensive night out of both teams?

/Oh yeah, there's a game this weekend, huh?
//Kinda got lost in the expansion stuff
///I like slashies.

Watched the CU-CSU game again last night. We did not look particularly good in that game. We better see some serious improvement if we have any chance of winning this game.

Per ESPN the Buckeyes have announced that Braxton Miller will get his first start. I actually think this is bad news for us as he is the more mobile of the two and we haven't exactly done a great job containing even semi-mobile qb's.

Per ESPN the Buckeyes have announced that Braxton Miller will get his first start. I actually think this is bad news for us as he is the more mobile of the two and we haven't exactly done a great job containing even semi-mobile qb's.

I was going to start a thread with this news. I find it interesting that he's going to get the start.... BLITZ TIME

My concern with this game is that it's on the road. I think, given everything OSU has gone through in the last 6 months, that if the game were in Boulder CU would win. On the road, I can see being up by 2 points with a minute to go, with OSU having the ball on their 35 yard line and marching right down the field to kick the winner with 3 seconds on the clock. That's what happens to CU on the road these days. It's not like we haven't had our chances to win games on the road during this streak. The longer it goes, the more it gets into the heads of the players and coaches.

My concern with this game is that it's on the road. I think, given everything OSU has gone through in the last 6 months, that if the game were in Boulder CU would win. On the road, I can see being up by 2 points with a minute to go, with OSU having the ball on their 35 yard line and marching right down the field to kick the winner with 3 seconds on the clock. That's what happens to CU on the road these days. It's not like we haven't had our chances to win games on the road during this streak. The longer it goes, the more it gets into the heads of the players and coaches.

And fans, apparently.

So, does this help or hurt our chances? Miller is dual threat, right, and how much worse can he do passing than Bow-wow-wowzerman?

Back