What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Okie State broke?

1)Those aren't brand new stadiums
2)Our stadium has guaranteed revenue sources (naming rights, premium seating not available at Hughes, multi-use $'s)

How exactly are premium seating sales "guaranteed"?? Ask the Broncos about selling premium seating. They've been going begging for club seat buyers since Invesco was built. And they actually have more than 20,000 fans....

I'm not entirely sure about Cal's situation but I believe the reason no one wants to donate to their stadium is 1) Not brand new and 2)It sits on a dangerous fault line and could fall into oblivion any time.

Yes, Cal could fall into oblivion. CSU has always been there. I'm not sure that's a point in your favor...

I had a poorgasm yesterday behind a fat woman in wal mart.

Wrong thread... :lol:

Looks like Invesco got a new sponsor for naming rights now though didn't they?

And no, you are assuming we won't sell them.

Jesus you run around screaming naming rights and think that someone is just going to be writing a check to the AD.

I will ask you the question again. Are you going to do what Univ of Minn and North Texas did and sell the naming rights as part of the plan to finance the construction of the stadium?

If you sell naming rights like Minnesota and North Texas you are not getting additional revenue for the AD. You are simply lowering the total amount of $ needed to be raised to fund construction.

How exactly are premium seating sales "guaranteed"?? Ask the Broncos about selling premium seating. They've been going begging for club seat buyers since Invesco was built. And they actually have more than 20,000 fans....

I've been on the season ticket holder waiting list for about 4 years, and they've called me every year asking me if I want to buy club seat season tickets. I'm not paying that much for tickets.

Jesus you run around screaming naming rights and think that someone is just going to be writing a check to the AD.

I will ask you the question again. Are you going to do what Univ of Minn and North Texas did and sell the naming rights as part of the plan to finance the construction of the stadium?

If you sell naming rights like Minnesota and North Texas you are not getting additional revenue for the AD. You are simply lowering the total amount of $ needed to be raised to fund construction.
This question has already been answered 20x.

If anything, these kinds of articles *should* make us re-examine our own facilities upgrades and make sure we have the funding in place to pay for them in advance. I don't want to be in a position where we're too far in debt to make a quick coaching change or minor facilities upgrade in the future.

Exactly, in these economic times the money needs to be locked up and what it is invested in needs to have an oversight committe and an independent /planner making the choices on where to invest the money, not to let the AD make financial decisions on how to invest the money.

I couldn't read far enough to know what the issues are.

Is it about the bottom falling out with the value of the stock in Pickens' company?

You make it sound like the problem is that OSU didn't get the expected bang for its buck from the upgrades it has done.

The bottom following out of pickens company was part, but they also took out life insurance policies on older alumni figuring they would pay the premiums and then cash in when they died, but of course they outlived the time they could afford to pay the premiums. They also examined how they let pickens have too much control on how the money was invested, was actually a pretty good case study on what not to do.

Looks like Invesco got a new sponsor for naming rights now though didn't they?

And no, you are assuming we won't sell them.

Way to miss the point little brain. Invesco naming rights were guaranteed until they couldn't pay anymore and then the guarantee didn't mean ****. So stop assuming that these guarantees are foolproof.

And we all know that Denver = Ft. Collins, thus the easy comparison between the two when discussing naming rights for their respective stadiums.

I have not seen any answer so if you would be so kind to answer for the 21st time.

bron826l.jpg

aman306l.jpg

It would be a hoot to watch pillowbiter at a car lot trying to buy the car of his dreams.

The down payment and car note could be supported based upon bold and positive thinking. All it takes to succeed is a can do attitude.

There are parents, relatives and girl friends lining up to donate and help cover the costs.

The owner of the car dealership is super rich and will offer a sweet deal because of OMFGasm's connections. A credit check will return a great credit history and the car lot finance department is confident the buyer can put down cash on the barrel head. No problem.

Plus its safe to assume OMFG's salary will more than double in a few years because he deserves a new car and this is one smart hardworking guy who will certainly make a leap from a low paying job to a high paying job as a result of the luxury car purchase. A six figure income isn't a question of IF, its a question of WHEN.

His current ride is a 1967 beater that no one wants to ride in. The upkeep on the lemon doesn't make sense. He parks it four miles off campus because its embarrassing to be seen there.

OMFG is planning to place a Domino's Pizza sign on the roof to help offset costs. And he'll be able to write off the costs covered by sponsorship as a business expense. It totally makes sense.

There is no way that car would ever get into an accident because OMFGasm is that good of a driver, as are everyone else with whom he shares the roads with in the Ft Collins area. Even if OMFGasm did wreck the car, there would be awesome insurance with a super low deductable.

It's not like OMFGasm would try to buy some custom limousine that comfortably seats six people. A fully loaded Aston Martin would have enough seats to fit the crowd he wants to haul around campus.

c6e4d815-d972-a8ec.jpg

It's totally feasible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha Skiddy. Funny timing too. We had pizza delivered on Saturday and the delivery guy was driving a late model GT Mustang.

A good article on feasibility reports selling a load of crap:

Under the development agreement, MadKatStep was required to repay the bonds and interest at a rate of about $3.9 million a year over a period of 26 years. Ryan, which built the arena and holds a majority stake in MadKatStep, guaranteed the first four years and has made all of the necessary payments…Hoffman Estates officials said the sides remain far apart. MadKatStep wants the city to take on about $7 million in loan obligations and operating debt, in addition to the roughly $89 million in bond payments remaining over the next 22 years, they said…Since opening in October 2006, Sears Centre has fallen short of financial projections and failed to turn a profit. It had an operating loss of $512,635 in 2008.The arena hosted 84 events last year, including eight concerts. A 2005 feasibility study projected the facility would host 140 events a year, about 20 of which would be concerts.The venue has two small anchor tenants: the Continental Indoor Football League’s Chicago Slaughter and the Lingerie Football League’s Chicago Bliss. It used to be home to minor league hockey, indoor lacrosse and indoor soccer, but those teams have since folded.

http://thesportseconomist.com/2009/09/16/a-good-deal-gone-bad/

Funny thing is I found this article while trying to find information on ICON. ICON seems like a weird company with offices all over the country but with hardly any information on them. I smell a google scrub.

I'm curious on the multi-use aspect.

That makes no sense to me whatsoever.

The ICON called for like 100+ days of events, iirc, which was well in excess of what Hughes currently hosts. In my experience, the logistics (parking, disruption of classes, traffic) of an event interferes a lot with the normal business of a college campus when the stadium is on campus. I would think that having an on-campus stadium will actually reduce the utility of CSU's football stadium for other events.

A good article on feasibility reports selling a load of crap:

http://thesportseconomist.com/2009/09/16/a-good-deal-gone-bad/

Funny thing is I found this article while trying to find information on ICON. ICON seems like a weird company with offices all over the country but with hardly any information on them. I smell a google scrub.

Video of the ICON presentation to CSU has been obtained.

[video=youtube;AEZjzsnPhnw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEZjzsnPhnw[/video]

2)Our stadium has guaranteed revenue sources (naming rights, premium seating not available at Hughes, multi-use $'s)

I'm not entirely sure about Cal's situation but I believe the reason no one wants to donate to their stadium is 1) Not brand new and 2)It sits on a dangerous fault line and could fall into oblivion any time.

These scenarios are similar, but not the same. You're comparing apples to oranges

*SIGH*

You're right. In the interest of having a logical and reasonable discussion on this issue, I concede the point that no one has ever built a brand-new stadium to house the CSU Rams in Fort Collins on CSU campus. Now that I've conceded that there are not any situations that have occurred in the past that exactly correlate to the situation in question, will you move past arguing that point and consider the SIMILARITIES in the three scenarios mentioned above?

I think you may find it helpful if I put in specific questions that you can answer in line:

• Oklahoma State University spent ~$200M upgrading an existing stadium with all of the luxury amenities that ICON says guarantee existing revenues going forward.
    • This is a similar overall cost to what CSU's plan proposes
    • The funding source is similar to what CSU proposes (mostly one single donor with other large supplementary donations)
    • The renovation has correlated with an upswing that CSU projects in football (top 25 rankings since expansion milestones in 2008, top 10 rankings since 2010)
    • This has resulted in an average attendance increase (fairly linear at about ~12% YOY growth) from 40,024 in 2007 to 57,229 in 2011. This supercedes a one-time 22% bump in attendance.
    • This has increased revenues as a major portion of renovation has been the installation of box seats
    • Differences (since you will point them out anyway): They have no revenue from naming rights. There appear to be no multi-use revenues.
      • QUESTIONS: In the context of applicability to CSU, does it concern you that even with all the similarities AND large growths in attendance/revenues that OSU AD is having cash flow problems?
      • If not, why not? For this question assume that the differences in naming rights and multi-use revenues between CSU and OSU are offset by the differences in television contracts.
  • University of Maryland spent millions of dollars expanding their basketball and football stadiums
    • Funding was from individual donors and borrowing against future revenues (similar to CSU's plan)
    • Naming rights were sold to Chevy Chase Credit Union (became Capital One) in 2006. This does not include naming rights for the Comcast Center (basketball)
    • There do not appear to be multi-use revenues for this stadium
    • A large reason for this expansion (including box seats, part of the revenue "bump" prjected by ICON) was a projected attendance increase. Instead, overall attendance has decreased, partly due to lackluster on-field results
      • QUESTIONS: Considering that the revenues from multi-use are likely offset by conference distributions, does it concern you that it has been shown that a lack of increase in attendance is possible by this situation?
      • What is "plan B" if attendance stays the same or decreases, as has been shown to be a possibility in this scenario?

I won't include any questions about Cal because I believe the reporting done in that scenario was biased, but the long and the short from that scenario is that they may not have seen the "promised" donations that they were counting on, which doesn't seem to be something you consider to be a possibility.

I'm curious on the multi-use aspect.

That makes no sense to me whatsoever.

The ICON called for like 100+ days of events, iirc, which was well in excess of what Hughes currently hosts. In my experience, the logistics (parking, disruption of classes, traffic) of an event interferes a lot with the normal business of a college campus when the stadium is on campus. I would think that having an on-campus stadium will actually reduce the utility of CSU's football stadium for other events.

There are 104 days of Summer silly! :lol:

These scenarios are similar, but not the same. You're comparing apples to oranges

edmond.gif

The only proof/guarantee I've seen with CSU and money is when they were, "too poor" (according to Graham himself) to send their students to watch them get obliterated by Murray State

I can't say with any certainty that Denver_sc is a University of Colorado alum. However, I CAN say that there's 100% certainty that Denver_sc did not attend Lamb Chop State. Bravo.

*SIGH*

You're right. In the interest of having a logical and reasonable discussion on this issue, I concede the point that no one has ever built a brand-new stadium to house the CSU Rams in Fort Collins on CSU campus. Now that I've conceded that there are not any situations that have occurred in the past that exactly correlate to the situation in question, will you move past arguing that point and consider the SIMILARITIES in the three scenarios mentioned above?

I think you may find it helpful if I put in specific questions that you can answer in line:

• Oklahoma State University spent ~$200M upgrading an existing stadium with all of the luxury amenities that ICON says guarantee existing revenues going forward.
    • This is a similar overall cost to what CSU's plan proposes
    • The funding source is similar to what CSU proposes (mostly one single donor with other large supplementary donations)
    • The renovation has correlated with an upswing that CSU projects in football (top 25 rankings since expansion milestones in 2008, top 10 rankings since 2010)
    • This has resulted in an average attendance increase (fairly linear at about ~12% YOY growth) from 40,024 in 2007 to 57,229 in 2011. This supercedes a one-time 22% bump in attendance.
    • This has increased revenues as a major portion of renovation has been the installation of box seats
    • Differences (since you will point them out anyway): They have no revenue from naming rights. There appear to be no multi-use revenues.
      • QUESTIONS: In the context of applicability to CSU, does it concern you that even with all the similarities AND large growths in attendance/revenues that OSU AD is having cash flow problems?
      • If not, why not? For this question assume that the differences in naming rights and multi-use revenues between CSU and OSU are offset by the differences in television contracts.
  • University of Maryland spent millions of dollars expanding their basketball and football stadiums
    • Funding was from individual donors and borrowing against future revenues (similar to CSU's plan)
    • Naming rights were sold to Chevy Chase Credit Union (became Capital One) in 2006. This does not include naming rights for the Comcast Center (basketball)
    • There do not appear to be multi-use revenues for this stadium
    • A large reason for this expansion (including box seats, part of the revenue "bump" prjected by ICON) was a projected attendance increase. Instead, overall attendance has decreased, partly due to lackluster on-field results
      • QUESTIONS: Considering that the revenues from multi-use are likely offset by conference distributions, does it concern you that it has been shown that a lack of increase in attendance is possible by this situation?
      • What is "plan B" if attendance stays the same or decreases, as has been shown to be a possibility in this scenario?

I won't include any questions about Cal because I believe the reporting done in that scenario was biased, but the long and the short from that scenario is that they may not have seen the "promised" donations that they were counting on, which doesn't seem to be something you consider to be a possibility.

Denver sc -- there is a caveat concerning okie lite and the attendance increases. The gains also coincide with an AD decision to sell a majority of the tickets via season ticket packages. It became so difficult and expensive to try to get single-game, individual tickets, that many of the fans of opponent teams actually purchased season tics just to ensure they could attend a single game. The change began in 2009, iirc.

If anything, these kinds of articles *should* make us re-examine our own facilities upgrades and make sure we have the funding in place to pay for them in advance. I don't want to be in a position where we're too far in debt to make a quick coaching change or minor facilities upgrade in the future.
You sound like some sort of banker or something.

The only proof/guarantee I've seen with CSU and money is when they were, "too poor" (according to Graham himself) to send their students to watch them get obliterated by Murray State
It was allsome watching Murray State blwo out CSWho in some podunk town in northern New Mexico while we actually got to go.

Back