What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

OL Update and Your Thoughts

I think people should be prepared for a lot of growing pains on offense in 2014. Really young/inexperienced pretty much everywhere.

How is this any different than the last 8 years? This is the norm, not the exception these days.

How is this any different than the last 8 years? This is the norm, not the exception these days.

Because you are forgetting our 10 wins no excuses year. Our funk in the trunk year, the intramurals year and my favorite, the game within the game year.

I didn't read the rest. We have no f'ing idea what either one of these guys can really do. Irwin played a few as a freshman at guard. Callahan hasn't done anything yet but give Maxipads a chubby. I'm hopeful, but I've had that bashed in before.

As buzzkill says above, we are still near the bottom of the PAC12 and I'd guess the very bottom.

Same is true at a lot of positions. WR would be dead last in the conference any way you slice it. Could they have a good year? Sure. But average BCS teams would be freaking out about now.

Certainly no guarantees about anyone and you are right that until they actually prove it on the field we don't know. That said Callahan has been healthy and practicing at LT against upper level talent. Irwin spent last year injured and before that worked at guard.

I hope, and pass the kool-aid, that both can be solid contributors. My point is that as a LT Callahan is much less a stretch than Irwin is to think he will be a solid contributor right away.

Certainly no guarantees about anyone and you are right that until they actually prove it on the field we don't know. That said Callahan has been healthy and practicing at LT against upper level talent. Irwin spent last year injured and before that worked at guard.

I hope, and pass the kool-aid, that both can be solid contributors. My point is that as a LT Callahan is much less a stretch than Irwin is to think he will be a solid contributor right away.

We heard this about Rippy, that he would be a force. After spring he does not even appear in the conversation at LB. I think we have to let things play out a little bit.

We heard this about Rippy, that he would be a force. After spring he does not even appear in the conversation at LB. I think we have to let things play out a little bit.

I agree with you, especially considering that at this point Callahan isn't even eligible to play. On the other hand it is okay to be a fan and think about possibilities. And we are due for something to turn out right.

Also I'm not ready to write of Rippy but it certainly looks like at the minimum it's going to take some time for him. He also wasn't on the depth chart of a team that played for the NC.

Last edited:
Very interesting OL stat. Sacks allowed:

2012: 50
2013: 20

Credit to Bernardi here. Still need some push on running plays

Credit to Sefo as well. Webb was a statue.

Yep. Sefo is too somewhat. But I've been rewatching some of the games and he has a knack for getting rid of the ball the split-second before the defender hits him

Very interesting OL stat. Sacks allowed:

2012: 50
2013: 20

Credit to Bernardi here. Still need some push on running plays

When I look at 2013, I lot of what I saw was in the realm of avoiding so many negative plays. Not taking sacks, not taking so many non-aggression penalties, not giving up so many field position flippers in the kicking game, and making offenses work for it by not giving up so many big plays.

And while the team also forced some more turnovers, the real progression now has to be maintaining the solid fundamentals while adding more playmaking against the better opponents. We need to see some punt and kickoff returns flip the field. We need to see more sacks and forced turnovers. We need to see more explosive plays (20+ yards) from the offense.

Yep. Sefo is too somewhat. But I've been rewatching some of the games and he has a knack for getting rid of the ball the split-second before the defender hits him

Sefo seems to have that sense of what is happening on the field, not only in the pocket but also downfield. He did get rid of the ball prior to the hit, he also had a lot of plays where he didn't scramble but he moved away from the pressure. He also seemed to know where to look to find the open man.

He still made a lot of mistakes, no surprise as a true frosh but these are some things that some QBs never seem to get. Webb was a good example, Wood was another. Wood was a highly physically talented guy but didn't show that mental side resulting it the things that ended up rattling him and forcing the replacement.

We need to see more explosive plays (20+ yards) from the offense.

A decent Oline would obviously be huge for this, helping DD have time to get open and give Adkins or Lindsay some big gashes. Aside from the Oline though, the big play guy is the biggest question mark on offense for me. Will a young receiver step up? Will one of the RBs emerge as a true weapon?

A decent Oline would obviously be huge for this, helping DD have time to get open and give Adkins or Lindsay some big gashes. Aside from the Oline though, the big play guy is the biggest question mark on offense for me. Will a young receiver step up? Will one of the RBs emerge as a true weapon?

We definitely have some guys who can turn on the jets and take it to the house. DD, Ross, Shay, Adkins, TJ and some others. You'll also see guys like Spruce, Bobo, Powell and Keeney have enough speed to make that happen since they have the ability to break an open field tackle.

But none of them are Barry Sanders. As you said, the OL keeping Sefo clean with time to throw is a key here. The OL being able to open some holes in the run game so our RBs are at speed when they're hitting the hole or the 2nd level is key here.

I see pieces that could make this a pretty good offense (i.e., makes some plays, moves the chains and puts around 30 on the board). But there is so much youth and so many questions. Sophomore slumps aren't unheard of from QBs and progression isn't always linear. All I know is that Forman better get the guys to have a great summer and the coaches better be on their games for August/September so that this OL takes a big step forward.

I'm not overly optimistic. There's a chance we could be a bad offense this year. But I do see the potential if the pieces fall into place.

Another key will be if our center can hold the line of scrimmage and not be driven back into the quarterback. It would allow him to look at the center of the field as a passing option.

...well then you beter have a cannon and a quick release...equally baffling.

Graham Harrell for example. Ran close to a 5.1 40 but could sling the short to medium range passes with accuracy to every direction. Helped that he had one of the largest offensive lines I'd ever seen.

Hell it is may. I'm prepared to drink the summer kool aid. The bitter medicine of reality will be ours soon enough.

Back