What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Once we hire a new coach, how long will you give him to turn this thing around?

sackman

Hates the Counting Crows.
Club Member
2 years? 3? 5?

For me, I better be seeing some serious improvement by the middle of year two. The first year is going to be difficult, but by the middle of year two, the team should all be on the same page. Everybody should be going in the same direction, and recruiting should be improving. If I'm sitting here in another three years looking at a piss poor team with no appreciable hope for immediate improvement, I'll be looking to make a change again.

Depends on what you mean by a turnaround.

I think a Top 25 ranking and a Top 25 recruiting class is very much in the cards for next year (2011 season & 2012 class). I expect a coaching change to pay immediate dividends.

2 years? 3? 5?

For me, I better be seeing some serious improvement by the middle of year two. The first year is going to be difficult, but by the middle of year two, the team should all be on the same page. Everybody should be going in the same direction, and recruiting should be improving. If I'm sitting here in another three years looking at a piss poor team with no appreciable hope for immediate improvement, I'll be looking to make a change again.

we were seeing plenty of improvement under hawk in year 2, just sayin'

To truly get a since of what the team will be in the long run you need 5 year. I was willing to give DH 5years. but that being said, you have to see improvement in at least 3 years. things like Player development, team attitude, etc. this is were DH failed miserably.

we were seeing plenty of improvement under hawk in year 2, just sayin'

We also lost to Iowa State and Kansas in year two. For all the supposed improvement, there were some abysmal performances that should have given us pause.

For the first two years I would be satisfied with just not getting red assed by D1aa team and beating CSU and WSU...after that I'd expect to see some improvementand being competitve with the Pac 12 crew. DH has corkscrewed this program into the ground...

We also lost to Iowa State and Kansas in year two. For all the supposed improvement, there were some abysmal performances that should have given us pause.

Nebraska lost to Iowa state at home in year 2 of Bo. I dont see them complaining. I say 4 years.

If I don't hear the phrases like "we'll see", "little things", or "boostraps" in the first media day, I will consider the program going in the right direction.

What is the definition of "turnaround"? Win 7+ games and go to a bowl? That should happen in year 1! We have the players we just need them to be coached better.

If "turnaround" means constantly ranked in the top 25 with good to great recruiting classes, then 2-3 years.

one practice. i am getting tired of having to wait until tuesday or wednesday for great practices.

Back in the olden days, they used to say 4 years, blah, blah. However, the cupboard is not stocked up, but not totally bare either. A great class or two, you have 1-2 years anymore. That's just the way it is.

Hopefully produce a solid year 3 that's a step above the initial couple rebuilding years of 6 maybe 7 wins. 9 wins or so. Obviously anything ahead of schedule is welcomed, but we just can't be going through this 2-10, 3-9 **** in the name of rebuilding again.

Hard to say...but really depends on who the hire is and how many of the current players stay or bolt as a result

I think it will take some time and by that I mean we should see improvement by year 2 and top 25 by year 3. There are things we will see right a way with a change. No delay of games after a time out or an illegal formation penalty. Competitiveness on the road - I do not mean winning all road games but not getting by an average of like 35 to 0 on the road. A better, more competent O-line performance week in and week out. Enough. We will see improvements right away and should be back into the top 25 by end of year 2 or at a min in year 3.

Under a real coach I don't see why we can't have success next year. I still think there is talent on this team.

Nonetheless, assuming our new coach doesn't act like DII, I would give him a minimum 3 years. However, within those 3 years, if we are losing a lot, our recruiting classes better be pretty darn good (and none of this crap like DII's good class when all the highest rated guys either transferred or were kicked off the team) and I want to see money flowing into the program.

We should be in a bowl game next season at the minimum. The most experienced team in years. Sure, there will be struggles, but 7 wins should be very realistic. I actually expect a better year in 2011 than in 2012. Would not alarm me if we take a few steps back after we graduate the huge class next year.

one practice. i am getting tired of having to wait until tuesday or wednesday for great practices.

quicker than you think 4dem....I believe that is has been turned around the second Mr. Hawkins is asked to go coach intramurals....

depends on who the coach is. a really good, big name hire could do it quicker then say a Troy Calhoun who is going to need more time.

So long as he can recruit, and the stupid penalties go away, I say give him 4 yrs to break 9 wins. Should have decent talent to work with next season - if they're still coachable after spending time under Hawkins. There are a couple key positions that he has just not recruited well - and the Buffs won't really be a factor until those holes are filled. Thinking it will take more than one recruiting class for the new guy to fix.

If he opens with the equivalent of a loss to effing Montana state,I'm done. Insert a bitter laugh here.

Things are turned around 11 seconds after they name the new coach and he walks to the podium at the press conference.

A new coach will win 2 road games next year and I don't even know who we play on the road yet.

as long as the next coach doesn't let his son play QB I 'll give him 3 years-

you can usually tell if a coach is going to make it by then-

Tough question.

1. Point: I'm not in a patient mood where CU football is concerned. I want a return to prominence and I want it NOW!

2. Counter Point: I think the new guy inherits a team in more of a state of disarray than Hawkins did with Barnett (minus of course the sex scandal) It's not just a matter of the players learning a new scheme with new coaches it is also the process of unlearning an unproductive football and life philosophy I feel they have been poisoned by. Hawk has done damage in many ways.

I'd give him three years at most to get to and win a quality bowl to conclude a season with at least 8 or 9 wins

There is no choice. Thats why you have to nail this one. Pressure is on Bohn or whoever, big time.

We should be in a bowl game next season at the minimum. The most experienced team in years. Sure, there will be struggles, but 7 wins should be very realistic. I actually expect a better year in 2011 than in 2012. Would not alarm me if we take a few steps back after we graduate the huge class next year.

This. There's going to be a lot of teeth grinding when the denver media starts piling on in 2012 wondering why the new coach is having problems. The last couple years of DH's recruiting will rear its head in 12 & 13. If Hirschman or Sherry/Borglund don't pan out, I think it will be especially painful in those two years. Having said that, I'll give the new guy four or five years. The fourth and fifth years better have an upward trend.

Because all of us have had to endure what Talkins has done to the program, depending on who his replacement is I believe it's not unreasonable to expect anything less than 2-3 years. Whoever it is, needs to stay connected to all of the alumni, fans, & media, Accept responsibilty instead of making excuses.

Back