What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

One buffalo's view from the sidelines: Here is where i have landed on this

no but my best buddy in college ran from about 96 to 01 or so and I hung out with the guys a bit.

Hopefully as part of a masterplan to get to know the hotties on the women's XC and T&F teams. I'll just assume that was the case and that you're a playa from back in the day.

With all due respect, I really do not owe you anything. You can hang your hat wherever you like and I won't complain or care, for that matter. I am just telling you that I stand with Embree. Don't really care if you support me or not.

I wish his players stood with him as strongly as you do. They quit 5 minutes into the game last Saturday. Anyone who says they didn't is not watching closely enough. That game was over and done almost before it started. That is not normal and something is not right on that sideline and in that locker room. I hope they figure it out and at least compete and show some measure of growth becuase another performance like Fresno and I don't want to see the fan reaction. It is a sad sad day to be a Buff.

WyoBuff. I agree with you on the issue of lacking upperclass leaders. We have very few upperclassmen period, fewer who are playing prominently enough to be looked at as legit leaders, then we add some circumstances and we are left with almost none. Major and Rippy would be logical guys but both are struggling to overcome serious knee injuries. Neither is back to pre-injury form so they aren't able to focus as much on leadership as they would otherwise. Pericek is playing well but seems to be the lead by example type, not naturally outspoken. Bonsu is in his first year of contributing and not in position. The logical guy left is Polk but the injury has put him out and it is easy to see how much he is missed.

Offense is even thinner but similar results.

I like and respect Embree and EB and Brown and want very much for them to succeed. I still don't get the Brown hate (other than that he was here with Hawk.) If you are going to fire Brown as a coordinator you better d***ed well fire EB as one as well since the offense and defense have been very similarly inept so far.

Bottom line is they can fire certain individual position coaches but you can't replace a staff at this time of year. The guys you would want to hire are almost all working elsewhere and not available. Embree and the staff will have most if not all the rest of this season to turn it around and I hope they do but I don't hold out high hopes. This team gives all indications that they have tuned out the coaches and when that happens it doesn't come back. I wouldn't be surprised if with more experience and some time to develop Embree doesn't become a very good college HC but it isn't going to be this job when it happens.

One thing we have to remember is that there are a lot of players out there busting their butts in a Buff uniform. Some may not be putting the full effort into it due to a lack of motivation from the coaches, confusion, frustration, etc. but I know that there are others doing everything they can, playing through both physical and emotional pain with the losing, and willing to give everything they have to do their part in turning it around.

While we may give out opinions of the coaches and the administration (and even of each other) we are talking about grown people who can and should take it. At the same time these kids, even those who may make mistakes or appear completely lost or frustrated are out there as Buffs and deserve our support and to be treated with respect.

As I look back over the past week I can say that even some of my post have pushed the line a bit with the players. WyoBuffs post in this treat have made me think and realize that I need to keep it all in perspective.

I also have stated before that whether it is Embree or the staff that follows him I think we are at the bottom and will be coming up. Our young talent is a step ahead of where we were at the end of the Hawk era and I am confident that we will be trending up.

Agree with what you are saying. This seniors on this team have Never played on a winning team and were never mentored by others with a winning attitude. McChesney talks about the limited seniors on the 2004 team but those seniors had been on the 2001 and 2002 teams and also had faced the adversities of the 2003 season...they knew about winning and they knew how to deal with adversity. The numbers may be similar to 2004 but the experiences are totally different.

This lacks talent, lacks leadership, and the talent they do have is inexperienced. Not saying the coaches are doing a good job but they have not had a good hand to work with either.

I wish his players stood with him as strongly as you do. They quit 5 minutes into the game last Saturday. Anyone who says they didn't is not watching closely enough. That game was over and done almost before it started. That is not normal and something is not right on that sideline and in that locker room. I hope they figure it out and at least compete and show some measure of growth becuase another performance like Fresno and I don't want to see the fan reaction. It is a sad sad day to be a Buff.
It started out as panic, back in the CSU game. It was written all over their faces and in their body language. Didnt see the Sac St. game but I agree on Fresno. Hell you dont have to watch closely to know they quit when you give up 55 points to a little above average team by halftime. Win or lose, I just wanna see them play with some heart. If they do that, I know they'll compete. Wyo good original post, cant rep ya, already have.

Hopefully as part of a masterplan to get to know the hotties on the women's XC and T&F teams. I'll just assume that was the case and that you're a playa from back in the day.

The XC team and T&F team didn't really hang out together when I was there. Unfortunately not really attracted to the XC girls, there is something about 8% bodyfat on a women that turns me off. I guess I would make an exception if the 8% were all funbags, but there weren't any girls with double black eyes back at that time.

With all due respect, and I did not leave any soft tissue on Folsom, but I lost plenty of brain cells in Farrand - to echo others, until the staff shows any ability at all, I cannot blindly support them because they were all great Buffs. If I hear one more time that Mac went 1-10 I'm going to puke, NOT EVERYONE IS BILL MCCARTNEY. Until I see some, any, improvement as far as I'm concerned this staff is woefully unprepared for the task at hand.

The XC team and T&F team didn't really hang out together when I was there. Unfortunately not really attracted to the XC girls, there is something about 8% bodyfat on a women that turns me off. I guess I would make an exception if the 8% were all funbags, but there weren't any girls with double black eyes back at that time.

I saw Emma Coburn running around campus yesterday, what a babe (pics don't do justice)

I do not believe they quit. This team does not have much confidence and when things started going bad it just got worse. They are unsure and playing tentative. "Deer in the headlights." They just are not sure what to do.

I do not believe they quit. This team does not have much confidence and when things started going bad it just got worse. They are unsure and playing tentative. "Deer in the headlights." They just are not sure what to do.

You just described the coaching staff as well.

Agree. Example 1 is punt returns. It seemed like every punt from Fresno (and there weren't many), resulted in our PR being too scared to come up and make a catch.

Good, Fast, Cheap. Pick two.

Everyone wants CU to be good, do it quickly, and not go bankrupt in the process.

The sitting admistration picked cheap with hopes of being good. They did not pick a path to be good fast...because they are cheap.

I do not call for Embree's head. The bad losses in September are the result of his bossess willfully putting him in a position to fail. This 0-3 start is retribution for Hawkins year 5, followed by a hire on the cheap.

You get what you pay for.

I will not call for Embree's head until after there is accountability placed upon those who were poor stewards of the CU brand before the ink was dry on the contract of HCJE. A boss should never put a new hire in a position to fail.

I will continue to travel to road games and will continue to buy football tickets out of reverence for the student athletes who choose to wear black and gold.

As a walk on member of the CU track and cross country team, I am keenly aware that a part of my football ticket trickles down to the non-revenue sports. I do not want Mark Wetmore to pay for the sins of bad football.
Skiddy, I didn't know you ran XC. Did I? :lol: I know someone here ran it.

You just described the coaching staff as well.

I think that happens to coaches as well, things are working so you start second guessing everything you do. If you start to wonder if the players will execute a certain play then you start grasping at what to call both defensively and offensively. I think it is like a disease. That is why coaches talk about swagger and confidence.

Good thread and honest discussion. It is very tempting to lash out post Fresno St. as my premature optimism was crushed in the first 10 minutes of the game. I have read much, pondered much, and listened to coaches and prominent Buffs discuss what the hell happened in Fresno. Conclusion: I am going to stand behind this staff and let this year run its course. These coaches have made some bad mistakes, and so have the players. Man there is a ton of youth on this team! But also promising young talent (QB this year not so much to date). The coaches misguided our expectations with a bowl prediction. My gut feels this was an effort to raise the expectation levels of a bunch of green players. While longing for past success I was all too ready to join the party. But here forward, this program needs my support. And I am going to give it. Staff destiny is in their hands and I believe expectations have been totally reset. Show progress, move the young players forward, find a way to win a game for starters. Maintain the recruiting success we experienced with this past group (which will be a ******* big challenge!) Minimize obvious coaching mistakes that have plagued thus far. Odds are long for this group of coaches, but the often mentioned total reset will put this program on a minimum of a 6 year restart (see recruiting). Admittedly that could still happen, but I am gonna be steadfast behind Embree to give them (us) a chance to battle a very challenging task. Others in this situation might already be thinking about their exit package and maximizing a personal retreat from a hopeless situation. Embree is not that guy and he will battle! I am going to remain in my seats and attend the games. Reminds me of a total soaking rain in Nebraska while getting abused from Nebraska fans for riding a train to watch Bienemy fumble the ball for about 3 quarters. It worked out.... Go Buffs!

Good thread and honest discussion. It is very tempting to lash out post Fresno St. as my premature optimism was crushed in the first 10 minutes of the game. I have read much, pondered much, and listened to coaches and prominent Buffs discuss what the hell happened in Fresno. Conclusion: I am going to stand behind this staff and let this year run its course. These coaches have made some bad mistakes, and so have the players. Man there is a ton of youth on this team! But also promising young talent (QB this year not so much to date). The coaches misguided our expectations with a bowl prediction. My gut feels this was an effort to raise the expectation levels of a bunch of green players. While longing for past success I was all too ready to join the party. But here forward, this program needs my support. And I am going to give it. Staff destiny is in their hands and I believe expectations have been totally reset. Show progress, move the young players forward, find a way to win a game for starters. Maintain the recruiting success we experienced with this past group (which will be a ******* big challenge!) Minimize obvious coaching mistakes that have plagued thus far. Odds are long for this group of coaches, but the often mentioned total reset will put this program on a minimum of a 6 year restart (see recruiting). Admittedly that could still happen, but I am gonna be steadfast behind Embree to give them (us) a chance to battle a very challenging task. Others in this situation might already be thinking about their exit package and maximizing a personal retreat from a hopeless situation. Embree is not that guy and he will battle! I am going to remain in my seats and attend the games. Reminds me of a total soaking rain in Nebraska while getting abused from Nebraska fans for riding a train to watch Bienemy fumble the ball for about 3 quarters. It worked out.... Go Buffs!

Dude, paragraphs are a good thing...

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Ok, I've been hesitant to post on this topic. Wyo is a friend and teammate, and he stated his case far more eloquently than I could. I agree with him. It doesn't fix the hurt when watching the games, but don't think for a second that that pain isn't multiplied 20x in the coaches' office.

I have the experience of coaching winning teams and losing teams. My philosophies didn't change much. I adjusted game plans to the talent I had. We coached our asses off in one year and went 0-10, We had 1 d-1 player and 2 d-2 guys. The year before we went 7-4 and put 11 guys into d-1, 1-aa and D-2.

It proved to me once again that it ain't the X's and O's it's the Jimmys and joes. If the right caliber of kid is brought in the situation will correct itself. But it won't happen instantly.

Wishing isn't going to get it done, but crushing it again isn't either. Would it be great to bring in a high dollar big name? Sure, but I'd also like to have a full head of hair too. I had hoped to be 3-0 or 2-1 at this point. The gap is bigger than I could see from Fla.

my knees are too shot out to jump off the bandwagon. If I'm going to rant like this I should really start drinking.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I respect those posted in this thread even if I may not agree. I will only point out that if the primary issue is recruiting more talent and our current staff thus far has not appeared to have brought in enough of it then exactly how does it get turned around?

They either have to out recruit the record or out coach the opposition with less talent. Thus far they haven't done either. Let's see how they do in the last nine this year.

I've wanted to argue one of Wyo's earliest points. He DOES owe us something. All of us.

He's a father. He made that decision. Furthermore, he's man enough and courageous enough to stick with his role as a father. We all know there's a class - practically a movement - of so-called men who are too cowardly and too stupid to stick around and be real fathers.

Wyo - and all fathers - owe it to Mankind to provide as good or better lives for their kids. That's what he DOES owe us. All of us.

The origins of this post say he's doing that, too.

Wyo, you DO owe us that. And I'm glad to see you're paying this debt in excellent fashion. Of course, I bet you've had so many happy moments that you've actually wondered, "Do I deserve THIS much happiness?" because of the love and affection you've received as a father.

Oh yeah. You do. Raising a son that wants to follow your favorite team - that says it all. You owe us, Wyo. And you're delivering.

There's a great little film called THE OTHER F WORD. Wyo, if you're able to watch it, you'll probably gnash your teeth at the fearful origins and goals of that film. But it's the movie I'd force every sperm-donor to see. "If you want a better world..."

Last edited:
I've never coached, but it looked to me like it wasn't the Jimmys and Joes the first three games of the season, it was the X's and O's...

I've never coached, but it looked to me like it wasn't the Jimmys and Joes the first three games of the season, it was the X's and O's...

Respectfully disagree with our 2 linemen. CSU and Sac St do not have better Jimmies and Joes. Fresno is probably fairly close.

Even if it is the "Jimmy's and the Joe's" (a favorite quote of Barry Switzer, as well, btw) then please take a look at the 2013 recruiting class and tell me which of those guys are going to move the needle for the Buffs? There are some nice players in the class, but overall it resembles a Dan Hawkins class a lot more than it resembles a Rick Neuheisel class.

And with more than 1/2 of the current team already made up of players Jon Embree recruited to Boulder, the team is just going to be more and more "his" with every passing day. Hawkins hasn't coached at CU since November, 2010 - almost a full two years now - and probably hasn't recruited at CU since even before that. So the "no talent" excuse can only be pointed at Hawkins for a short time more.

Back