What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Only a CSU fan would make this argument

Buffarino

Math - how does it work?
Club Member
http://www.ramnation.com/message_board/general/2007/November/28/189600.php

Summary - CSU fans are glad their AD is going to do the coaching search himself, without the help of Chuck Neinas. They think Neinas doesn't add any value. I disagree. Here's a partial list of the hires he has recommended to schools:

Mack Brown at Texas
Bob Stoops at Oklahoma
Tyrone Willingham at Notre Dame, then Washington
Les Miles at Oklahoma State, then LSU
Mark Richt at Georgia
Dennis Franchione at Texas A&M
Urban Meyer at Utah, then Florida
Dan Hawkins at Colorado
Gary Pinkel at Missouri

Of all those, only Fran would be considered a bust. Pinkel would have been borderline bust prior to this season, but he's dug himself out of that hole.

If I was an AD looking for a coach, my first call would be to Neinas.

Willingham a success at ND or U Dub?

I think he got the shaft at ND (Weis came in and won early with Ty's players) and I think he'll do well at UW, but he's going to need a couple years. That program was in BAAAD shape when he came in.

I think he got the shaft at ND (Weis came in and won early with Ty's players) and I think he'll do well at UW, but he's going to need a couple years. That program was in BAAAD shape when he came in.

I agree about Willingham at ND. He did a fine job in retrospect, so calling him a bust might be a little harsh, but I don´t know if I´d call it a success, either.

Seeing his name on there together with guys like Brown, Stoops and Meyer, who have national championship rings, or Richt and Miles, who have their teams in contention for a BCS Bowl and in the Top 15 every year or so, just seems a little odd.

Jury is obviously out on Hawk, especially compared to the other guys.

http://www.ramnation.com/message_board/general/2007/November/28/189600.php

Summary - CSU fans are glad their AD is going to do the coaching search himself, without the help of Chuck Neinas. They think Neinas doesn't add any value. I disagree. Here's a partial list of the hires he has recommended to schools:

Mack Brown at Texas
Bob Stoops at Oklahoma
Tyrone Willingham at Notre Dame, then Washington
Les Miles at Oklahoma State, then LSU
Mark Richt at Georgia
Dennis Franchione at Texas A&M
Urban Meyer at Utah, then Florida
Dan Hawkins at Colorado
Gary Pinkel at Missouri

Of all those, only Fran would be considered a bust. Pinkel would have been borderline bust prior to this season, but he's dug himself out of that hole.

If I was an AD looking for a coach, my first call would be to Neinas.

Hence why the will always be small time. They probably can't afford Neinas' services either. The other reason they are going to pay is because the lammies are going to hire the Southern Illinois coach, hence no need for a search. (They should search, but I think Kowalchuk is locked in on his former coach)

Come on Buffarino, this is Newport we're talking about. The guy is all about bashing CU in any way possible. I guess he can sleep well at night that CSU didn't lower themselves by hiring a useless guy like Neinas, but his record speaks for itself.

Come on Buffarino, this is Newport we're talking about. The guy is all about bashing CU in any way possible. I guess he can sleep well at night that CSU didn't lower themselves by hiring a useless guy like Neinas, but his record speaks for itself.

The scary part is, he's gotta be a smart guy to do what he does for a living (he's an investment banker). But he gets so blinded with rage that he loses sight of things.

Hence why the will always be small time. They probably can't afford Neinas' services either. The other reason they are going to pay is because the lammies are going to hire the Southern Illinois coach, hence no need for a search. (They should search, but I think Kowalchuk is locked in on his former coach)

I agree on the small-time part, although the funny thing is, Neinas isn't nearly as expensive as you would think. $20-40k seems to be the going rate which is far cheaper than the millions a bad coaching hire costs you.

I agree on the small-time part, although the funny thing is, Neinas isn't nearly as expensive as you would think. $20-40k seems to be the going rate which is far cheaper than the millions a bad coaching hire costs you.

Any idea what the MWC coaches are making? I don;t imagine that there are many, if any, making over 1 mill per yer. I'm thinking these guys are all making in the $500 to 1 mill range.

Any idea what the MWC coaches are making? I don;t imagine that there are many, if any, making over 1 mill per yer. I'm thinking these guys are all making in the $500 to 1 mill range.

Yeah, but a bad hire costs you not only a buyout, but also lost ticket revenues, donations, etc. I'd be very surprised if a bad coaching hire did not cost any D-I school at least $1 million.

Sonny was making ~$500k.

Yeah, but a bad hire costs you not only a buyout, but also lost ticket revenues, donations, etc. I'd be very surprised if a bad coaching hire did not cost any D-I school at least $1 million.

Sonny was making ~$500k.

Well, you can't lose revenue you if you did not have any to begin with:smile2:

Well, you can't lose revenue you if you did not have any to begin with:smile2:

Well, even looking at what happened to the sheep by waiting a couple years too long on Sunny:

Buyout of his contract is $500k (they're keeping him on for 2 years in the AD at $250k per)

Attendance dropped by 10-12k per game for their home games. That's another $1-2 million per year in lost ticket revenue.

That $20-40k looks awfully cheap now.

Well, even looking at what happened to the sheep by waiting a couple years too long on Sunny:

Buyout of his contract is $500k (they're keeping him on for 2 years in the AD at $250k per)

Attendance dropped by 10-12k per game for their home games. That's another $1-2 million per year in lost ticket revenue.

That $20-40k looks awfully cheap now.

I hear exactly what you are saying and agree completely. I am enjoying the hand wringing over St. Sonny's dismissal by the local media wonks. the only time CSU got any pub this year was leading up the CU game and Sonny's firing.

BTW, I had not heard that Sonny's was going to accept that gig with the AD.

Back