What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Oregon Facing Sanctions - and it's the recruits that suffer

What's fair with Oregon players?

• USC type sanctions - upperclassmen only & for duration of post-season ban (if there is one)

Votes: 23 38.3%
  • Go farther - let this year's signees out of contracts that were agreed to under false pretenses

Votes: 15 25.0%
  • Even farther. Let any player leave without penalty.

Votes: 19 31.7%
  • Neither. USC's penalties went too far and the NCAA shouldn't go there again with Oregon.

Votes: 3 5.0%

• Total voters
FWIW, I got my Masters degree from Oregon.

I hate seeing one of my schools in the news for this reason, but my take on this is twofold:

1. Younger recruits that were deciding last year knew that Oregon was potentially in trouble. It was in the news and I have to think that at least some schools who negative recruit probably pointed it out to prospects. Recruits who chose to commit to Oregon despite that did so with eyes open and should have to face the consequences.

2. Older recruits are a tougher nut. Presumably, some of them are among the individuals who got Oregon into trouble to begin with, but also there are probably some who decided to go to Oregon without any sort of outside influence and are innocent of any wrongdoing.

For the younger ones such as last year's class who committed after this surfaced, I think they should be stuck at Oregon. For the older ones, I think they should be allowed to transfer if they want (I prefer giving the benefit of the doubt in situations where it would be tough to tell the guilty from the innocent) unless they can be specifically tied to the scandal itself, in which case I think that not only should they be stuck there but they should have penalties on them personally such as NCAA mandated suspensions.

For the school...man I hate saying this, but postseason bans and schollie reductions.

What worries me is any possible "other shoe" sort of thing. Generally, what first makes the news isn't the entire story. That after the media and the NCAA sniffs scandal and start investigating, other things turn up.

This isn't NEARLY as bad as the Miami situation. (If half the stuff the Yahoo reporter turned up can be proven I think that school deserves the death penalty.) But I think the NCAA needs to take a hard line on these things to set a zero tolerance precedent, particularly if the can find any connection that the Oregon administrators knew anything and covered it up. On the flip side, if Oregon comes clean and does a thorough, exhaustive investigation, then I think the NCAA should go a little easier on them.

I would agree with you. The question is if they could legally do that. It is one thing to exclude someone from employment in your organization (the NCAA) in which everyone has agreed to that set of rules and restrictions. It is another to tell someone that they can't work period in their choosen field, even for someone who wasn't part of the agreement.

You might be able to get the NFL to agree to go along. If they went to work at the HS level they would be taking a major cut in pay so the penalty would still be significant.

Overall though your original post is on the right track. If it is the coaches that are doing the cheating then the coaches should bear their share of the penalty, not just move on to the next paycheck leaving a wake of sanctions in their path.

Soccer can do it because there's some kind of all encompassing governing body that oversees the sport at every level. Obviously, that's a lot harder to pull off in football.

I don't actively pay attention the Ducks but I would expect to hear something about this and right now I'm not hearing anything. Duck news is all about baseball and track and how much they will dominate the pac 12 next year.

Just my $.02 from quackland

don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but if Oregon is getting nailed for paying players, then it would be pretty hard to be sympathetic to the recruits, because they are, at least some of them, the ones getting paid. Not that I blame them much, but if you sign with a school because an alum slips you some cash, or "rents" you a nice condo for nothing, then you can't very well complain when the school gets nailed for paying players. I have no idea how many, if any, recruits of Oregon are getting paid, but obviously (if Oregon is guilty)its enough of them to get noticed by the NCAA in the first place.

don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but if Oregon is getting nailed for paying players, then it would be pretty hard to be sympathetic to the recruits, because they are, at least some of them, the ones getting paid. Not that I blame them much, but if you sign with a school because an alum slips you some cash, or "rents" you a nice condo for nothing, then you can't very well complain when the school gets nailed for paying players. I have no idea how many, if any, recruits of Oregon are getting paid, but obviously (if Oregon is guilty)its enough of them to get noticed by the NCAA in the first place.

Good point.

FWIW, I got my Masters degree from Oregon.

I hate seeing one of my schools in the news for this reason, but my take on this is twofold:

1. Younger recruits that were deciding last year knew that Oregon was potentially in trouble. It was in the news and I have to think that at least some schools who negative recruit probably pointed it out to prospects. Recruits who chose to commit to Oregon despite that did so with eyes open and should have to face the consequences.

2. Older recruits are a tougher nut. Presumably, some of them are among the individuals who got Oregon into trouble to begin with, but also there are probably some who decided to go to Oregon without any sort of outside influence and are innocent of any wrongdoing.

For the younger ones such as last year's class who committed after this surfaced, I think they should be stuck at Oregon. For the older ones, I think they should be allowed to transfer if they want (I prefer giving the benefit of the doubt in situations where it would be tough to tell the guilty from the innocent) unless they can be specifically tied to the scandal itself, in which case I think that not only should they be stuck there but they should have penalties on them personally such as NCAA mandated suspensions.

For the school...man I hate saying this, but postseason bans and schollie reductions.

What worries me is any possible "other shoe" sort of thing. Generally, what first makes the news isn't the entire story. That after the media and the NCAA sniffs scandal and start investigating, other things turn up.

This isn't NEARLY as bad as the Miami situation. (If half the stuff the Yahoo reporter turned up can be proven I think that school deserves the death penalty.) But I think the NCAA needs to take a hard line on these things to set a zero tolerance precedent, particularly if the can find any connection that the Oregon administrators knew anything and covered it up. On the flip side, if Oregon comes clean and does a thorough, exhaustive investigation, then I think the NCAA should go a little easier on them.
I'm sick of schools getting a break because, after the fact, they "come clean." **** them.

After USC, I think the NCAA should hit Oregon with everything they can. USC has done pretty damned well even with the sanctions. The cheating was worth it for them.

That's because they've only had 2 classes hit by the sanctions and those guys are all pretty much freshmen. It will hit in 2013 and beyond. It will definitely cost them down the road because Kiffen isn't what he claims to be. He'll miss on some key recruits, a few others will go to jail, and before you know it, DD Goodson is starting at Left cornerback.

That's because they've only had 2 classes hit by the sanctions and those guys are all pretty much freshmen. It will hit in 2013 and beyond. It will definitely cost them down the road because Kiffen isn't what he claims to be. He'll miss on some key recruits, a few others will go to jail, and before you know it, DD Goodson is starting at Left cornerback.

Damn. I don't know. They don't seem to have missed a beat at all. Freaking powerhouse.

Plus...while you always want to see someone punished appropriately, if the NCAA lays the hammer down on Oregon while letting Ohio State and North Carolina, Auburn and the entire SEC (except Vandy) essentially skate, it does open them up to allegations of playing favorites for certain conferences.

fify.....Oregon's transgressions wouldn't even rank them in the top three quarters of what crap goes down in the SEC on a regular basis!

^^This^^

Have the coaches sign a contract that specifies that pending a system with due process through the NCAA, the penalty for cheating is a suspension from employment with any NCAA member institution in any capacity within the time guidelines specified. Also state that any university hiring a coach with prior violations will be held accountable in the discipline process as if those violations occurred at the hiring instition.

This would help take away the financial incentive for coaches to cheat knowing that if they get caught they can just move on to another school. See Jackie Sherrill for an example of this. It would also slow down the schools who knowingly hire a cheater with the idea that "we've been pretty clean. If we get in trouble we won't be hit hard and it's worth it to finally win."

Not just the NCAA - but any organized football. Anything from Middle school to the NFL.

^^This^^

New uniforms?

Yaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy! OMG! OMG! OMG!

i3yue.gif

Back