What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Oregon steals EWU QB Adams as Graduate Transfer

Bingo. So many college athletes don't ever graduate, the ones that actually do with eligibility left should be rewarded.

I think it's much ado about nothing here. I could be wrong, but it seems like the vast majority of the grad transfers are guys who aren't getting playing time at their school and can get on the field somewhere else (in addition to Webb and Gray, we had a receiver come here from USC as well). How is that a bad thing? It's true that the high profile QB transfers are usually guys going to a big name program. But even these are not all that common. I'm generally for rules that give the student athletes more power to determine their fate. Especially if it means they do what it takes to get their degree before their eligibility is up. Cry me a river, Eastern Washington, but you had this guy for (presumably) four years, and now he's taking a shot at a more realistic path to the NFL.

Fortune isn't a grad transfer. The only grad transfer I can remember was the WR from USC that came here for one year. And now I can't even remember the kid's name.

You're thinking of Travon Patterson (as seven other people pointed out), but he didn't graduate from USC - he was allowed to transfer without penality due to NCAA sanctions against the program. He played his senior season as a buff.

... was free to transfer anywhere in the country after the NCAA penalized the Trojan program in June, and because the sanctions included a two-year ban on participating in bowl games, USC upperclassmen were free to transfer without penalty to the school of their choosing.

I think it is a great thing for kids who might not have been able to go to a higher level P5 school, that they can kick ass and graduate in three years, and if no interest from the NFL, they have one more shot to go to a bigger school and MAYBE just maybe catch the eye of a NFL scout. At worst, can get a year of grad school paid for, which isn't a bad deal at all. And presumably it helps fill holes in those teams rosters. I like it.

Cryinggifs_01_1.gif

So we want CU to get better by there being rules that force a competitive balance? That's weak.

I dont recall any of you having this issue when we picked up grad transfers.

MFT

We had That USC WR transfer and the UGA QB/WR transfer. If we had landed that UO bball transfer we'd be balling in hoops.

Or what about Carlon and his windmill dunking ability that came from Utah?

I like the rule as it reinforces the idea of a student athlete. These guys paid their dues and graduated.

You're thinking of Travon Patterson (as seven other people pointed out), but he didn't graduate from USC - he was allowed to transfer without penality due to NCAA sanctions against the program. He played his senior season as a buff.

There was an article somewhere that said he went back to USC and walked there. He's a Trojan, not a Buff. Was just a mercenary when we needed one.

Hey, socialized CFB. There could be a forced 'draft' each year where the crap teams can force a transfer from a top teams roster. Top teams can protect 'x' # of players. What fun!

Sounds like there's a bunch of whining here just because we ended up getting the ****ty graduate transfers.

A lot of this has to do with our redshirt freshman Mahalak getting injured and being set back a year. That means Oregon was left with a transfer and a true freshman at QB so getting Vernon made a lot of sense. I don't see why anyone would be bothered by him transferring as student athletes already get ****ed over enough. This gives a guy who graduated within 4 years a chance to get more exposure to increase his shot at an NFL job.

A lot of this has to do with our redshirt freshman Mahalak getting injured and being set back a year. That means Oregon was left with a transfer and a true freshman at QB so getting Vernon made a lot of sense. I don't see why anyone would be bothered by him transferring as student athletes already get ****ed over enough. This gives a guy who graduated within 4 years a chance to get more exposure to increase his shot at an NFL job.

:stupid:

Doesn't bother me; love to see a talented, hardworking kid get a chance in the PAC12 - whether he worked his way up the ranks, did a stint in community college or started in FCS. Good for him.

The only reason it bothers me is because the difference from a very mediocre QB and a guy like this kid is the difference between an 8-4 season and "sky's the limit". It's that he's a QB.

The NFL has a draft whereby the worse teams draft first and that free agents can't move freely from winner to winner, because of the salary cap. That provides for parity, and the organizations that can spot talent and develop it rise to the top. Pats draft near the end every year....

In CFB, there is no parity. The winners get first pick of the players and everyone else is required to find hidden gems and develop them. If those gems that do develop, are allowed to become unrestricted FAs and sign with the winners, then the pretense of competitiveness becomes a sham.

In the NFL, you have to play for the team that drafted you until you earn free agency, in CFB, it's a similar 4 year commitment.

It's what ruined MLB for me. The Yankees. If they don't check this, it will be standard practice for QBs to be Unrestricted FAs.
The pretense of competitiveness far out weighs an individual player' right to choose (for me). A player can always move down a division with no penalty or move up or laterally with a 1 year penalty.

We are bothered because he is going to Eugene. Just kidding......sort of.:lol:

I really don't have a problem with the rules as they are right now. They're so lopsidedly skewed in favor of the schools that it's good to see a loophole that the athletes can use to their advantage.

The solution isn't to change the rule, it's to get CU to be in a position where these kinds of players want to come here.

Back