What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Other Games Thread - Week 7

Not sure I buy that USC is just a bunch of prima donas. They may be a bunch of 4* and 5* players, but they do play hard. Just not a deep team.

Not sure I buy that USC is just a bunch of prima donas. They may be a bunch of 4* and 5* players, but they do play hard. Just not a deep team.

I don't know what you call it. Their culture is that they're a place where you play early, rub elbows with celebrities and roll 80% of your opponents - only really getting challenged 3 or 4 times a season.

They work hard and play hard. The difficulty for a coach there is channeling that desire toward USC winning rather than toward maximizing your draft potential as priority #1 for players.

The depth issue is real and they do have some very talented players who do play hard. They also have some highly rated, talented players who certainly were not playing up to expectations under Kiffen. When you don't have depth at certain positions it doesn't take a lot of prima donas to impact how you perform.

I'm not one of those who had any kind of hope or expectations that we would beat USC even if Kiffen had stayed. As the past couple of weeks have shown we have a clear lack of numbers of elite athletes and SC has a bunch of guys who are elite athletes. I don't see much chance of us containing their offense or exploiting their defense enough to win even if they aren't playing to their full ability.

The depth issue is real and they do have some very talented players who do play hard. They also have some highly rated, talented players who certainly were not playing up to expectations under Kiffen. When you don't have depth at certain positions it doesn't take a lot of prima donas to impact how you perform.

I'm not one of those who had any kind of hope or expectations that we would beat USC even if Kiffen had stayed. As the past couple of weeks have shown we have a clear lack of numbers of elite athletes and SC has a bunch of guys who are elite athletes. I don't see much chance of us containing their offense or exploiting their defense enough to win even if they aren't playing to their full ability.

So any player that does not meet the recruiting hype is automatically a prima dona? That's some odd logic.

So any player that does not meet the recruiting hype is automatically a prima dona? That's some odd logic.

Again you love to twist things into hyperbole.

Okay, SC doesn't have any prima donnas, Kiffen is the root of all their problems and the poor, missunderstood players who all selflessly played their heart's out were simply victims.

This is a team that collapsed last year. There are players who will never reach their recruiting hype, that's normal. There are also players who revert into a me first, selfish mentality putting themselves ahead of the team. There was lots of talk coming out of LA that that was a big part of what happened last year and carried over into this year.

Football teams are complex issues. You have 80-100+ players plus coaches all of whom are distinct individuals but what I heard and what I saw left no doubt in my mind that a part of the issue with USC was some Prima Donna players. Of course it wasn't all of them but that wouldn't set you up for your ridiculous arguments, would it.

I'm trying to figure out your argument. You just keep tossing out USC having a lot of prima donas as an established fact. I look at that team and don't buy it. There are some, but I maintain most of that team plays hard and they want to win, but the leadership is not there from the coaching staff or team leaders to get it done. Add in depth issues and you basically get a 8-4/7-5 type team. Of all fanbases, I would think CU fans would understand some of those issues more than most.

Everyone wants to win.....its the little things that make that difficult sometimes....that was Kiffin's number 1 problem in that he didn't do the little things well

Everyone wants to win.....its the little things that make that difficult sometimes....that was Kiffin's number 1 problem in that he didn't do the little things well

Little things like not treating everyone like crap. :wink2:

Wait, so USC's problem is that they're not taking care of the little things?

I think I have a solution to their problem.

Dan-Hawkins-MTL.jpg

I'm trying to figure out your argument. You just keep tossing out USC having a lot of prima donas as an established fact. I look at that team and don't buy it. There are some, but I maintain most of that team plays hard and they want to win, but the leadership is not there from the coaching staff or team leaders to get it done. Add in depth issues and you basically get a 8-4/7-5 type team. Of all fanbases, I would think CU fans would understand some of those issues more than most.

Maybe just a big difference in perception. I see enough prima donnas to impact the results on the field, especially in the absence of leadership from the coaching and other players. It doesn't take a whole team of prima donnas to turn things south for a team. With what I saw and things I heard about the SC team in their collapse last year and leading into this year I see the influence of some prima donnas.

Due to the lack of depth that you point out the team wasn't going to be a 12-0 or even a 10-2 type team but their collapse was huge and they lost a bunch of games that they shouldn't have based on talent.

Your reference to CU is appropriate. We have had under the last two staffs some kids who put their personal agenda ahead of the team or who were allowed to go under a different set of rules and expectations. We had a whole bunch of good solid kids who put team first, worked hard, and wanted to win but in an absence of leadership from the coaches and the presence and influence of some kids who weren't focused on the right things it's easy for a whole team to be impacted.

The degree of the fall may be different based on where the team started in the first place but I clearly see some players being able to impact the overall success of the SC program. Will this change with Kiffen gone, maybe. They also might be in a similar situation to CU in that they may be thin enough that they just have to deal with the kids despite their issues.

Indiana already up 7 on Michigan State 3 minutes in and are getting the ball back.

So many good games today. CFB is in full swing, finally!

Part of me wants UT to win so that Brown has a chance of staying and so that the highest ranked team in the Big XII will be Baylor and TT. What would be worse the B1G or the Big XII? Hahaha.

The OU fans I interacted with the last time I went Norman were pretty cool. Good tradition and I enjoyed their stadium. But I don't like how they became UT's bitch and can't really respect that. They are a more storied program than UT.

Again you love to twist things into hyperbole.

Okay, SC doesn't have any prima donnas, Kiffen is the root of all their problems and the poor, missunderstood players who all selflessly played their heart's out were simply victims.

this is too funny. You complain about duff twisting things you say into hyperbole so you respond immediately with a hyperbole.

I think from now on, use of the word "hyperbole" should be a bannable offense.

Somewhere in this country, there are people who are stuck watching the USF at UConn game that pre-empted one of the good ones that is on right now.

Aaron Murray looks terrible today for Georgia. There's a good chance that Mizzzou can pull off the upset.

Back