What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

OU demands removal of Dan Beebe as commisoner if they stay

I'm glad to see that OU is finally sacking up to Texas instead of sucking up. Top football program in the nation and they behaved like 2nd class citizens.

I think I'll have to stop referring to them as UT-Norman.

Oh. My. This is funny. OU fires a shot across Bevo's bow by putting the screws to DeLoss' pool boy. I have this funny feeling Beebe is about to get thrown under the Bevo bus...Ladies and gentlemen, this will be entertaining.

News flash "Big XII Comissioner Dan Beebe announced that he is resigning for personal reasons. "I just felt like it was time to spend more time with my family." He insist that this action has nothing to do with the statement made by the President of the University of Oklahoma regarding the future participation of the University of Oklahoma in the Big XII conference.

News realease sometime next week followed by an announcement that the Big XII will be continuing with the addition of at least one and up to three new members. They will also announce that some "structural" changes are being made to the LHN "in the interest of conference unity."

I honestly think it would be best for OU to stay in a stable Big 12... same for A&M. If they can get UT to agree to some equal revenue sharing agreement, and fire Beebe, college football as we know it may just stick around for awhile.

This would all benefit CU as well. I think college football as a whole will be better if it retains a regional flavor. If we go to a 16 team super conference format, which I hate, I think it will change college football for the worse; becomes too much like the pros. We already have that.

BREAK

How could any conference willing accept UT after all of this, even with all the $$ they would bring in? Is the cash really worth the collective headache?

News flash "Big XII Comissioner Dan Beebe announced that he is resigning for personal reasons. "I just felt like it was time to spend more time with my family." He insist that this action has nothing to do with the statement made by the President of the University of Oklahoma regarding the future participation of the University of Oklahoma in the Big XII conference.

When contacted for further comment, Mr. Beebe seemed surprised: "Who the hell told you I resigned? Press release? I haven't seen any pres.... Excuse me, I need to make a phone call..."

When contacted for further comment, Mr. Beebe seemed surprised: "Who the hell told you I resigned? Press release? I haven't seen any pres.... Excuse me, I need to make a phone call..."

Perfect follow up, I should have thought to this naturally following step.

Joe Schad ESPN reporter now reporting nationally that "There is some question in the PAC 12 if there are enough votes to approve expansion."

Considering the role of ESPN in all of this I would guess that this means that the resistance to expansion is more than "a question." it is pretty solid.

We know that CU is against Texas and not overly excited about traveling to Oklahoma. Utah has similar interest to CU. The Arizona schools are concerned with eventually being stuck in a division with OU and OSU if the pods don't happen taking them off the coast. Even with PODS Stillwater and Norman don't do anything for UA and ASU. Add to that Cal and Stanford seeing USC and UCLA coming of their schedules in certain years and the Pacific Northwest schools seeing their trips to California reduced and replaced with trips to Oklahoma and potentially Texas. All in all the slam dunk may have bounced of the back of the rim and is heading towards the sidelines.

After watching this comedy of errors unfold in the Big XII over 2010 and 2011, you'd think it would be a lot easier to steal recruits in the Big XII territory this year.

Hmmm. CU in another conference with only 1 or 2 major powers, one of whom is suffering from sanctions. The [strike] SWC [/strike] Big 12-2-1 is in major disarray. Texas is lost on the field. CU just fired the worst coach in its history and has hired a young firey coach with a reputation for recruiting... Where have I seen this scenario before?

The last time MU leaked a possible invite they were going to the Big 10. They help kickstart the whole Big 12 implosion. More of the same ?

Fiction 101:
“After the Big Ten thing started falling apart,” the source said of the summer of 2010, “they wanted to talk to us. We didn’t talk to them.”

Yeah, 'cause after the B1G stiffed 'em, Mizzou was soooooo broke up that they didn't even want to talk to the $EC ...... the frickin' $EC!!!!
If the $EC called Mizzou and told them to bend over, Mizzou's ONLY response would be "lube or no-lube"?

Read more: http://www.kansascity.com/2011/09/20/3155336/source-mizzou-has-sec-offer-but.html#ixzz1YXEK9Jg0

Joe Schad ESPN reporter now reporting nationally that "There is some question in the PAC 12 if there are enough votes to approve expansion."

Considering the role of ESPN in all of this I would guess that this means that the resistance to expansion is more than "a question." it is pretty solid.

We know that CU is against Texas and not overly excited about traveling to Oklahoma. Utah has similar interest to CU. The Arizona schools are concerned with eventually being stuck in a division with OU and OSU if the pods don't happen taking them off the coast. Even with PODS Stillwater and Norman don't do anything for UA and ASU. Add to that Cal and Stanford seeing USC and UCLA coming of their schedules in certain years and the Pacific Northwest schools seeing their trips to California reduced and replaced with trips to Oklahoma and potentially Texas. All in all the slam dunk may have bounced of the back of the rim and is heading towards the sidelines.
the votes will be there larry scott isnt stupid... if texas doesnt agree to every demand from now til eternity he wont offer them a spot

If I'm the SEC I'd go after TCU before Missouri. SEC would built two anchors in the state of Texas and one of the teams can actually play.

If the votes aren't there, it will never get beyond this kind of talk. For all we know, there hasn't been anything more than talk. Most of all of this has been purely media speculation, with the occasional 'anonymous' source ' leak'.

First - Boren is about 18 months too late with all this. His comments would have been much stronger if he'd come out and demanded Beebe's firing after Nebraska hit the bricks last summer. Nebraska's reason for leaving was pretty much word for word with Texas A&M's.

Second - does the PAC-12 really want these teams in it's conference?? These schools do not trust each other at all - they are pointing fingers back and forth at each other, making accusations about each other --- and the PAC 12 wants to welcome them with open arms?!? I hope that the rumors that there are PAC 12 presidents who have reservations about adding these four teams are completely true. I don't know why anyone would think that the change in conference affiliation is somehow going to change the way the school (I.e. Texas) thinks.

Second - does the PAC-12 really want these teams in it's conference?? These schools do not trust each other at all - they are pointing fingers back and forth at each other, making accusations about each other --- and the PAC 12 wants to welcome them with open arms?!? I hope that the rumors that there are PAC 12 presidents who have reservations about adding these four teams are completely true. I don't know why anyone would think that the change in conference affiliation is somehow going to change the way the school (I.e. Texas) thinks.

P12 only wants these guys under certain terms. The Okies seem to be willing to live with those terms. If Texass isn't, then buh-bye. We already know the terms are the best Texass has because they heavily shopped our bid.

As for the infighting these guys might introduce into a new P16, I'll only make a couple of comments. First any bitterness between the OU clique and the Texass clique works all the better, particularly for you schools closer to them. Makes it that much harder for them to swallow their egos and reconcile into a voting bloc. Second, in retrospect it was a useful exercise to bring in 2 schools and make the intermediate jump from P10 to P12 rather than go straight to P16. Look at the language you are using in your post - it's clear Colorado fans already consider yourselves one of the "club members" and have (more or less) been accepted as being in the "cool" kids club that looks upon the new entrants with suspicion. Not certain it would have worked out that way if the P16 was born in 2010.

And yeah, I'm still of the opinion that if Texass climbs down and accepts the P12/4 conditions the votes are there to expand.

P12 only wants these guys under certain terms. The Okies seem to be willing to live with those terms. If Texass isn't, then buh-bye. We already know the terms are the best Texass has because they heavily shopped our bid.

As for the infighting these guys might introduce into a new P16, I'll only make a couple of comments. First any bitterness between the OU clique and the Texass clique works all the better, particularly for you schools closer to them. Makes it that much harder for them to swallow their egos and reconcile into a voting bloc. Second, in retrospect it was a useful exercise to bring in 2 schools and make the intermediate jump from P10 to P12 rather than go straight to P16. Look at the language you are using in your post - it's clear Colorado fans already consider yourselves one of the "club members" and have (more or less) been accepted as being in the "cool" kids club that looks upon the new entrants with suspicion. Not certain it would have worked out that way if the P16 was born in 2010.

And yeah, I'm still of the opinion that if Texass climbs down and accepts the P12/4 conditions the votes are there to expand.

If you read all the "Big 12 collapse" spins that are coming out, you'll notice that they rarely mention Colorado as leaving for the same reasons Nebraska or Texas A&M did. We were the only program in the conference that was from the Mountain time zone and we were culturally very different from the rest of the conference. The other 11 teams always kind of felt that we were a better fit for the Pac all along, especially given that we have always recruited more in California than Texas.

I think if you had seen the original Larry Scott plan (CU, UT, aTm, OU, OSU, TTU), you might have seen us join with them for negotiating purposes but maybe not. If you remember, the bluster from them was to make it a merger between the Pac-10 and the Big 12 South. Even if we'd been in that group (keeping Baylor out of the discussion despite their whining), I expect that CU would have been the voice of reason at the table that was carrying the Pac-10 voice into the Big 12-6 meeting room. Our sympathies go west, not east.

I don't think you would have seen us vote in a bloc with UT or OU for that matter.

You certainly won't see it now.

First - Boren is about 18 months too late with all this. His comments would have been much stronger if he'd come out and demanded Beebe's firing after Nebraska hit the bricks last summer. Nebraska's reason for leaving was pretty much word for word with Texas A&M's.

It seems OU/OSU are on board with the Pac 12's way of operating. Only concern probably is the travel and geography for their student athletes and fans (who like to travel)

If the Big 12 was being set up as the Pac 12 is I think there's no doubt OU/OSU would stay in the Big 12. Obviously that's never going to happen now since Texas thinks they are the **** and poor leadership out of Dallas (i.e. Dan Beebe)

Back