What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Ouch - Kentucky goes down to Robert Morris

The Harrison twins are both top 5 players in the nation. James Young is #10 overall according to Rivals. Dakari Johnson is #13. Marcus Lee is #18. The scary thing is that they're still in it for the #1 (Andrew Wiggins) and #2 (Julius Randle) players in the nation.

No hyperbole, Kentucky might go undefeated next year.

I'd still bet against it, just takes one off-night or an SEC Tourney they don't really care about knowing they'll get the #1 overall seed anyways.

Staples Center has hosted "doubleheaders" with the Lakers/Clippers both participating. Verizon has done a 12 PM GTown game and 7 PM Wizards game somewhat frequently.

Maryland is playing a home NIT game on Thursday then hosting the women's tourney on Saturday. There was a lot of debate that Maryland might have to travel to the second round because of this. I don't remember if the women use a special court like the men do for the tournament especially the early rounds at home.

On a different topic -- I hate the generic courts -- I like to know where it is.

Yea I know that other arenas do it every day some even in the same day as you mentioned, but maybe the NCAA has some sort of stipulation that there can't be anything scheduled at the arena during the 1-2 days preceding the tournament. And I know all the teams get a practice session on the court but I don't think that is until the day before, which would be today in the case of Rupp.

Agreed about the generic courts they started using for the early rounds a few years back. They started with special courts for the Final Four now they do it throughout the whole tournament.

Enjoy it this year everyone, lord knows I am, because next year they're going to be national champs again. That team is LOADED.

They will be loaded on paper, but overall talent doesn't guarantee anything. This year is the perfect example, throw in UCLA after the #1 class last year with an ok season this year, and I am not overly scared.

They will be loaded on paper, but overall talent doesn't guarantee anything. This year is the perfect example, throw in UCLA after the #1 class last year with an ok season this year, and I am not overly scared.

UCLA didn't have near the class that Kentucky will have this year. 4 players in the top 7 is pretty much unheard of.

Not even trying to hide he's cheating at this point.

If you're not cheating, you're not trying.

And honestly, why WOULDN'T a top recruit go to UK? This year was an abnormality, but Calipari always brings in great guys, coaches them up for one year and increases their draft stock. There's a reason they had 4 first rounders two years ago. Hate Cal all you want, lord knows there's lots of reasons to, but if I had a kid who was thinking about being 1 & done for college, he's one of the few coaches I would trust to put him in the right position.

Enjoy it this year everyone, lord knows I am, because next year they're going to be national champs again. That team is LOADED.

As long as Calipari's team is limited to just one ball on the court at a time, he's gonna have "issues" with teams so loaded.

Those kinds of kids are impatient and lack of PT and handles will cause dissension and lack of focus, as it did this year.

And honestly, why WOULDN'T a top recruit go to UK? This year was an abnormality, but Calipari always brings in great guys, coaches them up for one year and increases their draft stock. There's a reason they had 4 first rounders two years ago. Hate Cal all you want, lord knows there's lots of reasons to, but if I had a kid who was thinking about being 1 & done for college, he's one of the few coaches I would trust to put him in the right position.

The much bigger question is how Baylor (Drew) is able to get one of those guys every year.

I get Kentucky. I get North Carolina. I get UCLA. I get Ohio State. I get Syracuse. I get several others. But there is no way in hell that Baylor should be on that list. They've been out-recruiting the likes of Georgetown and Michigan State in recent years.

The much bigger question is how Baylor (Drew) is able to get one of those guys every year.

I get Kentucky. I get North Carolina. I get UCLA. I get Ohio State. I get Syracuse. I get several others. But there is no way in hell that Baylor should be on that list. They've been out-recruiting the likes of Georgetown and Michigan State in recent years.

^^^This^^^ dirty as they come

UCLA didn't have near the class that Kentucky will have this year. 4 players in the top 7 is pretty much unheard of.

Yeah, and based on paper talent comparisons, Robert Morris shouldn't be able to keep the score within 50 either.

Kentucky didn't have good guards this season....their best recruits were in the front line...they have the Harrison twins and James Young next season...and if Goodwin returns watch out

Agree with this whole heartedly!

As long as Calipari's team is limited to just one ball on the court at a time, he's gonna have "issues" with teams so loaded.

Those kinds of kids are impatient and lack of PT and handles will cause dissension and lack of focus, as it did this year.
He's done a pretty good job, obviously not this year. And for those who say, "look at that team, how can you fail with them." While it might not be as impressive as taking over a futile team and building it up, you still have to get those kids to buy into your system; you have to deal with dynamic personalties. Plenty of those teams underachieve like Kentucky did this year.

I wouldn't say he improves anyone's stock. That's a fallacy. Randle, Harrison twins, Young, etc. are all projected top 10 picks regardless of where they go to school. Same could be said of MKG, Noel, Cousins, Bledsoe, Wall, Davis, and Rose. Those kids weren't drafted where they were because of Cal.

He bought his ticket (one and done players) he knew what he was getting into, I say, let him crash.
images

I wouldn't say he improves anyone's stock. That's a fallacy. Randle, Harrison twins, Young, etc. are all projected top 10 picks regardless of where they go to school. Same could be said of MKG, Noel, Cousins, Bledsoe, Wall, Davis, and Rose. Those kids weren't drafted where they were because of Cal.

Regardless, that's his rep with prospects, their parents and AAU coaches. "You play for Coach Cal, he gets you to the NBA." Perception is reality.

I heard only Noel is going pro this year.. What happens when all the 5* talent that started this year gets benched next year in favor of better 5* talent?

Would be no surprise if Kentucky is cheating, almost a surprise if they weren't since most of these guys could get "extra benefits" from a lot of other schools. That said your point highlighted is a very valid one. These kids are interested in going to the NBA for the big bucks. Kentucky and Calipari have a solid history of putting guys into the lottery. In the year they have to wait they get to practice against and play with a bunch of other guys who are likely NBA bound. They will be on TV a lot and be favorites to get a ring.

Hard to resist if you are good enough to get recruited there.

The NCAA and the NBA need to say either go pro after high school, or go to college for 3 seasons. If you choose to go pro there is the D League or overseas ball. The one and done system is a complete joke. [/soapboxrant]

The NCAA and the NBA need to say either go pro after high school, or go to college for 3 seasons. If you choose to go pro there is the D League or overseas ball. The one and done system is a complete joke. [/soapboxrant]

In place because of the issues with agents invading the high schools and AAU circuit. (Also, the NBA has extra costs when it has to scout high school in addition to college and they missed on high picks too often - so the Association was very willing to implement 1-and-done to get the PR gain.)

I do care about the agent thing. I just don't know how you fix a rule that's destructive to the college game while also avoiding that issue with agents following high school kids around.

Kentucky could have played this at Memorial Coliseum. It's still used for women's basketball, volleyball and gymnastics. Holds 9,000. Their reasoning - or excuse, depending on how you view it - was that they didn't have the manpower to do so since it's all being poured into hosting the NCAA Tournament games at Rupp. Personally, I think it has to do with the humiliation of playing a home NIT game right when the Louisville fans are pouring in to see their 1 seed Cardinals play at Rupp. They viewed sending the 'Cats on the road and the potential loss as less of a humiliation. You can argue that's ridiculous, but...this is Kentucky. You don't understand how disgusted they are with being in the NIT, let alone with Louisville a 1 seed playing in their arena.

Last edited:
In place because of the issues with agents invading the high schools and AAU circuit. (Also, the NBA has extra costs when it has to scout high school in addition to college and they missed on high picks too often - so the Association was very willing to implement 1-and-done to get the PR gain.)

I do care about the agent thing. I just don't know how you fix a rule that's destructive to the college game while also avoiding that issue with agents following high school kids around.

I see what you're saying, tough situation. If a kid doesn't give a damn about school then he just shouldn't be there. The only players that are usually one and done if memory serves are the ones playing in the McD's all star game, which means thats all the NBA scouts and agents need to worry about in the first place. Most of the rest will need the 3 seasons anyway, and why would scouts and agents waste their time on them?

This. But I think 2 years would probably be acceptable in College. It works in Baseball. Granted they have a good minor league system.

Kentucky could have played this at Memorial Coliseum. It's still used for women's basketball, volleyball and gymnastics. Holds 9,000. Their reasoning - or excuse, depending on how you view it - was that they didn't have the manpower to do so since it's all being poured into hosting the NCAA Tournament games at Rupp. Personally, I think it has to do with the humiliation of playing a home NIT game right when the Louisville fans are pouring in to see their 1 seed Cardinals play at Rupp. They viewed sending the 'Cats on the road and the potential loss as less of a humiliation. You can argue that's ridiculous, but...this is Kentucky. You don't understand how disgusted they are with being in the NIT, let alone with Louisville a 1 seed playing in their arena.
Would've been less himilating to just decline the tournament altogether.

This. But I think 2 years would probably be acceptable in College. It works in Baseball. Granted they have a good minor league system.
It's generally three in baseball at a 4 year school, you can leave earlier if you're 21 on a certain date.

Back