What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Ouch - Kentucky goes down to Robert Morris

I think in the long run it would be better for all involved if they went to a 21. College game would be much better, players would be fundamentally better when they get to the league. The league wouldn't end up spending lots of money on guys who they hope but don't know can play. If a player doesn't want to do college give them the option of going D league or Europe.

Past 21 you run into issues of people arguing that they are denied the right to work. The league could make the 21 stick if they argued that NBA arenas are all in the business of selling alcohol and that the league is in the business of promoting alcohol sales and consumption. Since alcohol is illegal under 21 in virtually every place they play they could argue that they cannot reasonably separate the players from the alcohol.

I think in the long run it would be better for all involved if they went to a 21. College game would be much better, players would be fundamentally better when they get to the league. The league wouldn't end up spending lots of money on guys who they hope but don't know can play. If a player doesn't want to do college give them the option of going D league or Europe.

Past 21 you run into issues of people arguing that they are denied the right to work. The league could make the 21 stick if they argued that NBA arenas are all in the business of selling alcohol and that the league is in the business of promoting alcohol sales and consumption. Since alcohol is illegal under 21 in virtually every place they play they could argue that they cannot reasonably separate the players from the alcohol.
Nah, just adopt baseball style rules and I'd even be willing to concede two years instead of three. I would allow them to go to Europe or play in the D-League and then be able to play after a single year, JUCO as well.

Last time I checked, unless it's Ron Artest, they aren't drinking during the games. Under your argument no restaurant that serves alcohol could hire someone under 21, because your giving them easy access. I don't think they'll be drinking on the floor, if anything I'd be more concerned about the people in the cheap seats than the players themselves.

Nah, just adopt baseball style rules and I'd even be willing to concede two years instead of three. I would allow them to go to Europe or play in the D-League and then be able to play after a single year, JUCO as well.

Last time I checked, unless it's Ron Artest, they aren't drinking during the games. Under your argument no restaurant that serves alcohol could hire someone under 21, because your giving them easy access. I don't think they'll be drinking on the floor, if anything I'd be more concerned about the people in the cheap seats than the players themselves.

Not saying that it makes a lot of sense, just mention the alcohol issue because it could be built into a decent argument legally to set the age at 21. The arguement isn't about the players drinking, it is about the promotional link and the availability without sirect supervision. In a resturaunt the operators are required to have "control" preventing their under age employees from being able to drink.

I do think that by holding players out until 21 we would see a better quality game.

If it would come, it would come from the players association, not the NBA league offices. NFL doesn't draft until 3 years removed from high school because of the NFLPA rules. League can't do it because it would be a discriminatory hiring practice, restraint of trade or some such thing. But the union can refuse to allow membership until a person reaches a certain age. And the unions are happy to keep the young guys out because that means more jobs for the veterans.

I don't think we need to add more years before you're eligible. If you're good enough to play in the NBA at 19, fine. Don't see how it is a good idea to force a kid to keep going to college, when he can make millions playing professionally.

Only reasons to eliminate high school kids from being drafted is it gives more tape for NBA scouts so teams are, in theory, less likely to draft a bust. And like mentioned, it keeps agents out of high schools. If anything, I'd rather they just allowed high school kids to get drafted.

Not saying that it makes a lot of sense, just mention the alcohol issue because it could be built into a decent argument legally to set the age at 21. The arguement isn't about the players drinking, it is about the promotional link and the availability without sirect supervision. In a resturaunt the operators are required to have "control" preventing their under age employees from being able to drink.

I do think that by holding players out until 21 we would see a better quality game.
I see that argument for football and that's essentially the case, since they have to be three years removed from high school graduation. While you might have a maturity issue with some (Kwame Brown), I don't think it's physicality issue. They can play at 19 now, 20 would be a good compromise. But as I said I would let the cream of the crop play right away. Just if you're in college, you are "stuck" there for a few years. And let's be honest, not a whole lot of more scouting would be required for the top picks who would bypass college. Those players are already nationally recognized in most cases. You have a lot of mediums that weren't available 20 years ago.

If it would come, it would come from the players association, not the NBA league offices. NFL doesn't draft until 3 years removed from high school because of the NFLPA rules. League can't do it because it would be a discriminatory hiring practice, restraint of trade or some such thing. But the union can refuse to allow membership until a person reaches a certain age. And the unions are happy to keep the young guys out because that means more jobs for the veterans.
Yes, it would have to be negoitated, that's true with any major team sport. If you want to go pro right away, play tennis or golf.

I don't think we need to add more years before you're eligible. If you're good enough to play in the NBA at 19, fine. Don't see how it is a good idea to force a kid to keep going to college, when he can make millions playing professionally.

Only reasons to eliminate high school kids from being drafted is it gives more tape for NBA scouts so teams are, in theory, less likely to draft a bust. And like mentioned, it keeps agents out of high schools. If anything, I'd rather they just allowed high school kids to get drafted.
I think that's a very good reason, the more exposed you are, the more likely executives/scouts can determine where you'll fit into the end product. As it is, the current system encourages you to go out earlier as you may slip when there is more of a book out on you.

Back