What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Our offense just got a lot better.

OL doesn't have to be very good. They just can't be very bad.

I am not even sure I expect them to be average. But explosive plays on offense combined with a big jump in special teams can hopefully get us over the hump with another year of average defense.

Maybe we have watched completely different games.....But Adkins has been by far our best back IMO. He just gets hurt too often. Carr has the biggest upside, and Lindsay has fire....but I have no idea where this perception of Adkins is coming from. He was our only competent running back a few years ago ( and I would go beyod that and say he looked really friggin good considering the OLine her was playing behind).
Doesn't matter how good you are if you can't stay healthy.

This isn't a few years ago. We have some talent at the RB position in 2016 but you can't rotate 5 guys, with a couple hybrids (Lee/Julmisse) getting some carries as well. Adkins has done a nice job at times for this team and I hope nothing but the best for him, but he is nowhere close to good enough that CU can't do without him.

But honestly, the "if he can stay healthy" qualifier is a copout. He has proven very little in that regard, so it is fair for people to write him off. It is part of the overall player profile.
I guess that's where we disagree. Following that logic, we shouldn't sign kids that have been hurt (like the talented kid out of LA that we just signed who blew out his knee last year) He's here, he's a Buff. We can't (or won't) just cut him like an NFL team would with a player that has a history of injuries. I am rooting for the kid to get healthy....if he's healthy, he's one of our best backs.

FWIW, I do not think the OL will be very good in 2016... and it might not matter if we have some guys with big play ability.

I have concerns with Bernardi's leadership of the OL, which makes me concerned about how that unit will do next year. In terms of bodies, I think we should be OK. We will have plenty of OL for Spring practices.

Doesn't matter how good you are if you can't stay healthy.

This isn't a few years ago. We have some talent at the RB position in 2016 but you can't rotate 5 guys, with a couple hybrids (Lee/Julmisse) getting some carries as well. Adkins has done a nice job at times for this team and I hope nothing but the best for him, but he is nowhere close to good enough that CU can't do without him.

Paul Richardson couldn't/can't stay healthy. Lee and Juilimiss will play WR. Lee only played RB last year because we had so many injuries. I stick by my point but am going to stop arguing.

Paul Richardson couldn't/can't stay healthy. Lee and Juilimiss will play WR. Lee only played RB last year because we had so many injuries. I stick by my point but am going to stop arguing.
That Paul Richardson argument is not true. Stick by your point, but I'm not getting your argument.

I guess that's where we disagree. Following that logic, we shouldn't sign kids that have been hurt (like the talented kid out of LA that we just signed who blew out his knee last year) He's here, he's a Buff. We can't (or won't) just cut him like an NFL team would with a player that has a history of injuries. I am rooting for the kid to get healthy....if he's healthy, he's one of our best backs.

Blowing out a knee and what has kept Adkins out of games are quite different. Again, it is a copout because you act like it should just be ignored because he showed well in 5-6 games over a three-year period? And yikes on the Paul Richardson comparison.

Paul Richardson was a 2nd round NFL draft pick and quite possibly the most explosive player CU has had since....???Adkins isn't in the same league. My point is, we have some potentially dynamic players at the RB position and Adkins has proven over time to be a JAG. The offense can't afford to give an injury-prone, mediocre player reps and keep talented guys like Carr, Bish, Dino and Lindsay on the bench.

PR was able to redshirt and save eligibility when he blew out his ACL. The issue with Adkins is that he spends all Spring, Summer and Fall getting reps and then misses most of the games with Hamstring pulls or sprained ankles.
The team notices things like that too. And he takes off plenty of the practices to get healthy, so it is even more frustrating I am sure.

Julmisse has been told he will ply the same role Lee did last year when he gets reps @Bill Cody.

LOL. So true. Personally I'm not drinking the Kool Aid, but with Webb coming in I have a reason to believe 2016 will not be a repeat of 2014 & 15.
First you say you're not drinking it. Then, the next thing you say is that it tastes like cherries.

First you say you're not drinking it. Then, the next thing you say is that it tastes like cherries.
LOL. If drinking Kool Aid means I now believe we have a chance to win more than 4 games, then I guess I am...just not very strong Kool Aid.

It's hard not to drink the kool aid. We are all desperate for just a little taste of success after ten years of frustration. We look at the current situation and see an improved defense with Leavitt and a bunch of recruits that on the surface appear to be upgrades over what we have on the roster currently. On offense we see Chiv come in and get Webb, Bish, and some talent at the skill positions. We want to drink the kool aid, so when we have an excuse to do so, we take big gulps.

It's hard not to drink the kool aid. We are all desperate for just a little taste of success after ten years of frustration. We look at the current situation and see an improved defense with Leavitt and a bunch of recruits that on the surface appear to be upgrades over what we have on the roster currently. On offense we see Chiv come in and get Webb, Bish, and some talent at the skill positions. We want to drink the kool aid, so when we have an excuse to do so, we take big gulps.
There's nothing wrong with that, and anyone who says otherwise can piss off!

PR was able to redshirt and save eligibility when he blew out his ACL. The issue with Adkins is that he spends all Spring, Summer and Fall getting reps and then misses most of the games with Hamstring pulls or sprained ankles.
I have to admit that I didn't follow his injury issues much this year...but the rest of what you're stating seems to be a bit off. He didn't play in a few games of his freshman year because he suffered a concussion. But he played in nine games averaging over 5 yds per carry and was named an honorable mention AA. Sophomore year he played in the first ten games and missed the last 2 games because he had a season ending knee injury....which also kept him out of Spring Football.

Last edited:
I have to admit that I didn't follow his injury issues much this year...but the rest of what you're stating seems to be a bit off. He didn't play in a few games of his freshman year because he suffered a concussion as a true freshman. Played in nine games averaging over 5 yes per carry and was named an honorable mention. Sophomore year he played in the first ten games and missed the last 2 games because he had a season ending knee injury....which also kept him out of Spring Football.
How about last year?

I have to admit that I didn't follow his injury issues much this year...but the rest of what you're stating seems to be a bit off. He didn't play in a few games of his freshman year because he suffered a concussion as a true freshman. Played in nine games averaging over 5 yes per carry and was named an honorable mention. Sophomore year he played in the first ten games and missed the last 2 games because he had a season ending knee injury....which also kept him out of Spring Football.
Not sure I follow what point you are trying to make here?

Not sure I follow what point you are trying to make here?
My only point...and one that I am not going to defend because I don't have the energy and time will tell if I'm right or wrong...is that I wouldn't be so quick to write off Adkins as many on here have been doing. I said he's been the most impressive runner when healthy. The retort was that you have to take his injury history into account. I stated that we've had other talented players that have been stars here with a significant injury history...using PRich as an example.....the retort to that then became that he's not nearly as talented as PRich (never my claim) along with the implication that Adkins has a history of milking insignificant injuries.

Lindsay is tougher, no doubt. Carr is faster, no doubt. But all in all, Adkins has been the most impressive running back we've had *when healthy* over the last few years....averaging about 5 ypc and making good runs when there was often nothing good in front of him. I wouldn't be so quick to write him off....that was my only point. But apparently I touched a nerve.

Last edited:
My only point...and one that I am not going to defend because I don't have the energy and time will tell if I'm right or wrong...is that I wouldn't be so quick to write off Adkins as many on here have been doing. I said he's been the most impressive runner when healthy. The retort was that you have to take his injury history into account. I stated that we've had other talented players that have been stars here with a significant injury history...using PRich as an example.....the retort to that then became that he's not nearly as talented as PRich (never my claim) along with the implication that Adkins has a history of milking insignificant injuries.

Lindsay is tougher, no doubt. Carr is faster, no doubt. But all in all, Adkins has been the most impressive running back we've had *when healthy* over the last few years....averaging about 5 ypc and making good runs when there was often nothing good in front of him. I wouldn't be so quick to write him off....that was my only point. But apparently I touched a nerve.
No nerve has been touched, I just happen to disagree with you. We have a log jam at RB and rotating 5 guys hinders the offense more than helps it. I just don't see anything unique, dynamic, special, etc with Adkins, but he is going to take practice and game reps away from other guys that do have dynamic potential, IMO.

I concur that Adkins showed the best of any RB I've seen that is currently on the roster, when healthy.

I also don't believe in being "injury plagued". I do believe that a player can be soft and let small injuries keep him out. A concussion in year 1 and knee surgery in year 2 are certainly not supportive of being soft. Year three was ankles and hamstring, which are hard to know what the guy is feeling. 'Nik certainly strongly insinuated on here that this was a character flaw, that he was soft. Nik usually knows and thus possibly true.

But if it's not true, I'd say that each year is a new year, and he could play 13 solid games for us this year and be our best RB, and not suffer a single injury for the next 5 years.

Partial to the "Maryland I" myself!
diamond+zeer.JPG

I'm definitely excited. Before the transfer and JUCO additions, I question if this was a bowl level team. This is definitely a bowl level team now. Bowl or bust.

Back