What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Our practices are a disaster

Not that I think this would really happen, but the whole premise is still scary as hell:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Chicago#Athletics

If CU had the rep of UofC then that *might* be ok with me.

We aren't and are only regressing under this admin since only rich OOS kids can afford to come here that couldn't get into Cal or Stanford or UCLA or USC, thus the rate of acceptance is only going higher.

We are a large, public state school. Athletics are something that unites a large, non-commuter public school.

I have some insight as I've attended a few recent practices and my buddy has attended several more. I would contest the OP on this.

Music has always been loud under Embree, but only at appropriate times.

The only issue I saw is no live hitting going on, due to body-count.

There's a lot wrong with the situation, but I don't attribute it to poorly run practices, or too loud of music. At least not as of 2 weeks ago.

Just like Hawk's message of "stay off the peaks and valleys" wasn't the issue. That's advice a lot of great coaches use. It just doesn't work when the coaching sucks......

Bad coaching
massive talent voids
damaged psychies (called "give up")

Bottom up approach won't fix this. Top down, is the order that will need to be addressed.

Music has always been loud under Embree, but only at appropriate times.

The volume of the music is not really the issue it is what type of music it is, i.e. it was not being used to simulate loud game situations, it is there for the guys to enjoy. This begets horsing around, discipline issues, and a lack of focus, could you imagine Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, or Chip Kelly with his team rocking out in practice when they have one win on the season? Or is it more likely that the music would be shut down and the attention to detail and intensity ramped up?

As mentioned by another poster this is much more the NFL way of doing things and it works at that level because you are generally dealing with motivated hyper competitive athletes who do not require coaching on little things like how to properly get play from the sidelines.

The only issue I saw is no live hitting going on, due to body-count.

One of the first reports I got out of practices runs a little contrary to this mind you it was very early season before a rather unfortunate roadie but at that time were running full pads scrimmages and hitting hard late in the week, at a time when typically you'd be doing walk-through’s. I assume, as you mentioned though this has changed because of body count issues. Even then though it was 1's against 1's with everyone else standing around doing nothing.

There's a lot wrong with the situation, but I don't attribute it to poorly run practices, or too loud of music. At least not as of 2 weeks ago.

Just like Hawk's message of "stay off the peaks and valleys" wasn't the issue. That's advice a lot of great coaches use. It just doesn't work when the coaching sucks......

Bad coaching
massive talent voids
damaged psychies (called "give up")

Bottom up approach won't fix this. Top down, is the order that will need to be addressed.
[/QUOTE]

I agree with you on a couple of points there, I do believe it come from the top and needs to be fixed there. I also believe that the kids have damaged psyche's as you put it, that said I believe our poorly run practices are a huge part of the reason we see constant recurring issues like: dumb penalties, guys out of position, the wrong sets on the field, missed blocking assignments, and on and on. Would perfectly run practices fix this team? Probably not, but would they go a long way to the program improving over the course of 2 years? I'd imagine they would have to.

I think lots of teams play music during practice,Sarkisian asks for playlist suggestions from fans on twitter,w/out seeing it myself the severity of that seems a little blown up.BUT it's hard to imagine anything is being accomplished at practice w/what we see each Saturday...Maybe it's time for the Costanza approach,do exactly the opposite of what they're doing or what they think they should be doing&see what happens.

I think the kind and/or volume of music being played at practices is way down on my issue list.

I agree that playing music, in and of itself, isn't necessarily concerning. It's the fact that the few reports coming out of practice show that our coaches have run sloppy, disorganized, chaotic, uninspired practices all year and haven't changed a damn thing except for cut down on hitting out of sheer necessity. Either they're too stupid or too prideful to make a change. Doesn't matter which, both are extremely concerning.

All you have to do is look at the product on the field and you can see that the players aren't getting a ****ing thing out of practice.

Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop! Make it stop!

Were so ****ed.

All you have to do is look at the product on the field and you can see that the players aren't getting a ****ing thing out of practice.
This. Something is wrong with practice. Music bothers me when we suck and are constantly out of position. More worrisome is reports of kids standing around at practice and redshirt kids not feeling like part of the team.

I agree that playing music, in and of itself, isn't necessarily concerning. It's the fact that the few reports coming out of practice show that our coaches have run sloppy, disorganized, chaotic, uninspired practices all year and haven't changed a damn thing except for cut down on hitting out of sheer necessity. Either they're too stupid or too prideful to make a change. Doesn't matter which, both are extremely concerning.

I am with wispy on this - I don't see an issue with playing music at practice per-say. What I do have an issue with is what seems to be a common theme about our practices which is that practices are sloppy, they lack attention to detail, and perhaps most damningly that large groups of players seemed to be tuned out during practice. As Slade mentioned you can see these players aren't getting much from practice.

Wait a sec... I think I've figured out what's wrong. If we're playing music during practice, but not during games, the players naturally don't know where to be and how to play when it comes time to play during the games. We just need to start playing music during the games and it'll all work out.

anyone else excited that we are actually holding practices now? I think they had ncaa 13 tournaments earlier in the year.

Wait a sec... I think I've figured out what's wrong. If we're playing music during practice, but not during games, the players naturally don't know where to be and how to play when it comes time to play during the games. We just need to start playing music during the games and it'll all work out.

Sounds like an NBA game.

Wasn't that a Brady Bunch episode?

Wasn't that a Brady Bunch episode?
I think that's why they haven't put up the practice bubble. Mom always said, don't play ball in the house!
[video=youtube;sLFkxA0P7Q8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLFkxA0P7Q8[/video]

I know I sound like an Embree apologist, but this is getting ridiculous. Now we're getting practice reports based on rumors and people looking over the fence? It's laughable. Based on how the team is playing on Saturdays I think it's fair to assume that practices aren't getting the job done, but to describe what's wrong based on rumors doesn't make any sense. It's pure speculation. I also find the descriptions hard to believe. Practices were open to the media last year. Has the coaching staff done a complete 180?

these coaches are failing at every aspect. wtf? is the media snowballing on them or do they just suck?

This, or maybe we are better prepared for a dance contest than a football game each week, would explain a lot.

I know I sound like an Embree apologist, but this is getting ridiculous. Now we're getting practice reports based on rumors and people looking over the fence? It's laughable. Based on how the team is playing on Saturdays I think it's fair to assume that practices aren't getting the job done, but to describe what's wrong based on rumors doesn't make any sense. It's pure speculation. I also find the descriptions hard to believe. Practices were open to the media last year. Has the coaching staff done a complete 180?

This is the pile-on mentality and everyone has the next concrete scoop to can the coach. I can assure you this is as much BS as Hawkins ripping down the bricks.

Obviously, our practices are not helping. There's a lot wrong but I wouldn't blame it on poorly organized practices and loud music. Makes good headlines though.

Remember when Barnett was quoted as saying, "They don't know how to practice yet". This stuns me with the number of NFL coaches we have. You don't get to the League without knowing how to practice.

Remember when Barnett was quoted as saying, "They don't know how to practice yet". This stuns me with the number of NFL coaches we have. You don't get to the League without knowing how to practice.

As is mentioned earlier in the thread, it's a different kind of practice dealing with cream of the crop professional athletes and college kids.

Back