What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Outside opinion

That is the longest post I've ever read on AllBuffs, proving I'm not a racist. Now blocking user BayouBengal to avoid future long posts.

I think it's important to note that if there was an outside consideration that led to Embree going from an NFL position coach to a BC$ HC (which I think there was), it wasn't his race, but the idea that he was a true "Buff".

In hindsight, if we were going to hire Embree because he was a "Buff" we might as well killed two birds with one stone and hired Logan. That way we would have put that bull**** to rest, too.

Thanks for sharing your perspective. It's good to hear what others who aren't invested in the program think about what's going on.

Great perspective, thanks for taking the time to post.

McCartney is clearly getting senile. He's like the old man in the neighborhood yelling at imaginary kids to get off his lawn. Thanks, Bill, for the memories but your days of relevancy are over and you're hurting the program you profess to love.

I've long since put him on my ignore list. His posts are a Hate crime to the english language.

Now If I can get Creatini to put me on that list, it will be a success. Also please don't take me off your ignore list. I need to review mine and add some more names.

Last edited:
Now If I can get Creatini to put me on that list, it will be a success. Also please don't take me off your ignore list. I need to review mine and add some more names.

Don't worry you're already on my kill list.

Thanks for the nice contribution Bengal. Good for perspective. It is a shame the hiring and firing of Jon Embree has gone so badly because he is a great Buff and a great guy. I hope he can get another opportunity in the future.

I think it's important to note that if there was an outside consideration that led to Embree going from an NFL position coach to a BC$ HC (which I think there was), it wasn't his race, but the idea that he was a true "Buff".

In hindsight, if we were going to hire Embree because he was a "Buff" we might as well killed two birds with one stone and hired Logan. That way we would have put that bull**** to rest, too.

Except Dave Logan would have won, even if he Sat everyone on the team for three quarters. And Chuck Norris would have begged to be Daves waterboy.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Didn't care what color he was when he was hired and still didn't care when he got fired.

The worst thing you can do for race relations is to cry racism where none exists. It cheapens the accusation.

Yep, and it's too bad too, b/c it's an issue that deserves discussion. Too lazy to retype, so re-posting my thoughts from Rivals:

Unfortunately, the problem I see with all of this is that it's a real, important issue being argued by the wrong person. If it were Turner Gill out there making the argument, I would put much more stock into what he was saying. Truth is, Embree did not necessarily deserve (based on resume) the opportunity he was given in the first place. He didn't have to take a crap job to try and prove himself like others people have mentioned (Ron English, Gill, etc.). Did he walk into a terrible situation? Yes. Were we bound to suck at some level the last couple of years? Absolutely. Was he a guy constantly getting passed over for good HC jobs who finally said f-it, I have to start somewhere? No way! He was never even a coordinator at any level and was given an opportunity to be a head coach. He was one of the worst and seemingly ill-prepared head coaches anyone has seen in a long time -- as you might expect from someone (white or black) given that opportunity before they're ready -- and he was fired.

There is truth to the idea that black head coaches get second chances at far, far fewer rates than white coaches. That is a real problem, and one that people should be talking about. The sad part is that no one can take it seriously than coming from Embree's mouth. At least I know I can't. He may not get another chance to be a head coach, but I (maybe naively) continue to believe that will have a hell of a lot more to do with his historically awful execution of the job, combined with his horrendously petty and childishly-whining exit from that job, than it will ever have to do with the fact that he is black.

Being an interested observer of a local graduate level institution, the present form of affirmative action I am familiar with can cut both ways. Prospective students of color are given some wiggle room regarding GRE’s and transcripts in hopes that students who struggled through rough high school years and were thereby limited to middling undergrad programs might have a chance to finally shine. Naturally, many of these students wash out – same as their more privileged counterparts, but at a slightly higher rate. The school thinks it’s worth the effort if they can find some diamonds in the rough. One recent student fits this to a t\Y; after struggling to catch up on core courses, she sought and got help, and overcame her inferior education with superior effort and ability.
The flip side to this is the schools that lower standards to achieve a certain “success”. The minority students who have truly earned their degrees are too often viewed with suspicion, based on the lowered standards offered to minorities at some institutions. A brilliant black doc I know is forever having to prove that he’s not the product of some affirmative action program, and that’s a shame.
The same principle holds with any hiring, and in this case, firing. The way Embo and his bunch have conducted themselves, and some of the reaction by players makes me wonder what part of his recruiting pitch was. Race be damned, judge us each as individuals, please. Sad truth is, Embree underperformed and his demeanor was not what should be expected from a HC. Never doubted his heart, but the job pays big bucks ‘cause not many can pull it off. Wish him and his staff the best.

Being an interested observer of a local graduate level institution, the present form of affirmative action I am familiar with can cut both ways. Prospective students of color are given some wiggle room regarding GRE’s and transcripts in hopes that students who struggled through rough high school years and were thereby limited to middling undergrad programs might have a chance to finally shine. Naturally, many of these students wash out – same as their more privileged counterparts, but at a slightly higher rate. The school thinks it’s worth the effort if they can find some diamonds in the rough. One recent student fits this to a t\Y; after struggling to catch up on core courses, she sought and got help, and overcame her inferior education with superior effort and ability.
The flip side to this is the schools that lower standards to achieve a certain “success”. The minority students who have truly earned their degrees are too often viewed with suspicion, based on the lowered standards offered to minorities at some institutions. A brilliant black doc I know is forever having to prove that he’s not the product of some affirmative action program, and that’s a shame.
The same principle holds with any hiring, and in this case, firing. The way Embo and his bunch have conducted themselves, and some of the reaction by players makes me wonder what part of his recruiting pitch was. Race be damned, judge us each as individuals, please. Sad truth is, Embree underperformed and his demeanor was not what should be expected from a HC. Never doubted his heart, but the job pays big bucks ‘cause not many can pull it off. Wish him and his staff the best.

The last sentence of your middle paragraph is exactly why (last time I checked) Clarence Thomas (Supreme Court justice) is against AA.

CUinDC and others may have an opinion on this, but racism out here on the East Coast is far more evident than anything I ever witnessed in most of the West. Worse in some ways than the South. People in Colorado would do well not to get drawn further in to the steaming pile of dung.

He failed, and failed miserably. As you say one of the worst Division 1 teams in history and definitely the worst in CU history. Why would anyone all the sudden turn this into race when he was obviously in over his head and not capable of turning things around?

I really don't think Embree wants to make it about race b/c he sure didn't want to when he was hired. But Mac has an agenda and he really just looks stupid, except for the fact that a lot of local media blindly follow whatever he says and are apparently taking his side way more than they should. There is ZERO evidence of racism in this decision. The statistics speak for themselves.

:yeahthat: (As an aside, as a person "not of color" you must not have applied for a job within the last 30 years if you claim you've never been subject to discrimination! Ever hear of a little program called "affirmative action"? Just a another term for reverse discrimination. The only difference is you do not view life's travails through "discrimination-colored glasses!")

CUinDC and others may have an opinion on this, but racism out here on the East Coast is far more evident than anything I ever witnessed in most of the West. Worse in some ways than the South. People in Colorado would do well not to get drawn further in to the steaming pile of dung.
My impression in the east is not racism, but classism. The color of your skin doesn't matter nearly as much as your economic status. Now in the south...

There is truth to the idea that black head coaches get second chances at far, far fewer rates than white coaches.

If that's "TRUE", it should be relatively easy to establish. Where's your proof?

Coaching is the ultimate proof of the Peter Principle. Most fired HC's end up as coordinators or position coachs for other programs. Embree's own staff had two white fired HC's and neither of them was offered another HC position, as is usually the case. In the coaching profession, you usually only get one chance to show your mettle as HC, black or white. If T. Willingham is the only 1, out of 41, that's about a 2% chance.

But, you can count on one hand the number of fired white head coachs who got a second chance. So, statistically, based on a greater total number of white HCs, I'd be willing to bet fired white head coachs have a significantly less than 2% chance of being hired as an HC for a different D-1 program.!

Last edited:
Back