What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Overall thoughts on the class

Last year was pretty similar actually. But, I do wonder how they recruited so well comparatively. Probably because he hired a staff full of bcs coaches

He also had a lot of recruiting inroads in the SEC footprint due to him being on the Florida State Staff.

While I'm not thrilled with how this class looks, I'll take it considering the disaster that the last 2 (5?) years have been and having a new coaching staff coming in from the lower ranks. Next year needs to be better though and we need to start matching our P12 competition for recruiting talent.

The other important area is QB. I blame the lack of QBs in the program as a major culprit in our programs demise and that lays at the feet of Hawkins, we have now added one decent QB in each of the last two classes. You have to bring in one per year at least to stay on track. We won't know if either Sefo or Dillon will be the answer but you have to recruit the position. A good portion of the turn around at SJSU can be attributed to the finding of a QB.

+1

For being the worst team in the country, I'll gladly accept the #68 class in the nation. As we slowly progress, I do hope and expect that ranking will creep lower and lower.

Food for thought...3 of our last 4 classes were HaLkins lame duck year, Embree transition class, and now MikeMac transition class. :scared2:

No... our '14 class needs to be below 50 or it will be a failure.

At some point we're going to have to start recruiting at the level of our competition. The closest pac-12 foe is 17 spots higher (WSU), and the closest after that is 29 spots higher (Ore St). That's a pretty large gap. We don't have this class because we suck. We have this class because we suck and because we hired an entire staff that spent the last couple years recruiting non-AQ type prospects.

I, for one, am glad we have not recruited Al-Qaida. you know with the drones and all.

Food for thought...3 of our last 4 classes were HaLkins lame duck year, Embree transition class, and now MikeMac transition class. :scared2:

4 out of 5 when you consider that Hawkins had 2 lame duck years. Everyone thought he was gone after the 2009 season...

Sutton has the hottest sister on the team

Chloe's a beautiful girl. Hell of an athlete, too.

Chloe-Sutton-e1341542031265.jpeg

This is the type of class you get when your team goes 1-11, and your one win is by 1pt, and it was vs. the perennial worst team in the BCS.

I'm rooting for all the players. Some might be special players. But only way to improve recruiting is to win and then sell MM as a legit BCS HC.
yes, can't agree more, and thank you for the 'rooting for all players'. If the players read this thread they must wonder about AB fans and the commitment to them as Buffs. Welcome aboard 2013 recruiting class. Glad to have you as Buffs and hope you live long and prosper as a part of Buffnation!

I'm pleased with a few guys aboard, we won't know until we see. Lot of good discussion, good work boys.

I saw Lisella listed at 237 somewhere. I can't help but think with his feet, athleticism, blocking skills he might be better off a TE in the 250-260 range than a light Lineman really stretching to be at a certain weight.

Bottom line CU has to post some W's so kids actually believe there is a reason to come here. Scenery and academics only go so far.

Overall, I don't think you could expect much more. I don't know why MikMac honored all of the offers unless he had to or was just trying to take the high road. It would be interesting to find out some day. I don't follow recruting as close as some, but there are some that look like real reaches from the former staff.

Awuzie and Thompson seems like they were decent P12 players. Sefu, I think, is a steal. The rest are guys who are going to have to develop. maybe this will be a class of some really good role players and and a few surprises.

Hopefully, MikMac can get more out of the team than the last crew, 3-5 W's is not out of the realm of possibility. If that can happen, I suspect CU's recruiting will be more on par with AZ, ASU, UU, Cal, OSU, WSU, UW. It will take a while to even stand a chance of getting up to the level of USC, UCLA, Oregon and Stanford who have enjoyed a great deal of success.

Overall, I am neither satisfied nor dissatisfied. It is about where I expected CU to end up after 1-11. You have to win to win to recruit well.

On another note, I'm pretty pleased by some of the last few defensive guys and a couple of the lineman who committed early. Reed, Olugbode, Thompson all look like really impressive athletes. HCMM seems to be upgrading size, athleticism of the defensive guys, even if some of them look a little raw. I also really liked Atkins senior tape...looked much better than the junior highlights.

I just don't think it was horrible when not one damn one of us knows what they'll be. That's all up to them. Be a rough few years but congrats to those guys.

Their bios are up on cubuffs.com. Overall it seems like a smart class. Lots of interest in majoring business, engineering, or physiology.

With all the guys at SC jumping ship I wonder if they don't wish they had pursued Marques Reed a little harder. The top of their class is still full of guys we would dream of getting in here right now but if things keep going like they are they could get paper thin fairly soon. Collapsing like they did last year after coming into the year with national championship talk isn't going to prompt guys with pro options to stick around the full four years either.

With all the guys at SC jumping ship I wonder if they don't wish they had pursued Marques Reed a little harder. The top of their class is still full of guys we would dream of getting in here right now but if things keep going like they are they could get paper thin fairly soon. Collapsing like they did last year after coming into the year with national championship talk isn't going to prompt guys with pro options to stick around the full four years either.
That and the fact that Kiffin is a cross between the village idot, back room card shark and a car salesman.

That and the fact that Kiffin is a cross between the village idot, back room card shark and a car salesman.

I was shocked when they hired him and and more shocked that he still has the job.

They have to be beyond arrogant to believe that a guy with a known history of disregard for the rules isn't going to attract more attention from the NCAA, and it isn't like he is bringing them great teams in exchange for the risk. It's one thing to hire a cheater, it's another to hire a cheater who then loses you games.

I actually liked what HCMM said about his recruiting strategy. Recruit guys who play both ways and target athleticsm. While Severson and Olugbode might be severely undersized now, Give them 2 years and we have some ridiculous athletes at LB.

I think he knew exactly how you have to recruit when we are in the place that we are.

I'm really excited to see what Bobo, Coleman, Gilbert, and Sutton turn into. I see a very high ceiling in these guys.

Now just (please god) get some W's.

No... our '14 class needs to be below 50 or it will be a failure.

At some point we're going to have to start recruiting at the level of our competition. The closest pac-12 foe is 17 spots higher (WSU), and the closest after that is 29 spots higher (Ore St). That's a pretty large gap. We don't have this class because we suck. We have this class because we suck and because we hired an entire staff that spent the last couple years recruiting non-AQ type prospects.

As much as I usually think you are a teenage drama queen, I do agree with this....but not in the way that you think. Yes, we got this class because we sucked. And JE and company sucked together, and most of the class was filled with his kids, that he took so early on because..I think he knew last year was going to suck, and would rather get who he got and try to hold on to them, than shoot for the stars and have nobody by the end of the season.

On the second part, yes, he brought in kids that we would like to be higher with offfers and stars, and those were who he was recruiting at SJSU. However, to pull better kids we would of had to hire a bigger name, bigger name recruiters, and NOBODY LIKE THAT WANTED TO COME HERE!!!!! That is the point. To break up his team that has obviously worked well together just for the sake of a fewer higher starred kids is not a wise idea. Now, it isn't that they couldn't recruit more desireable kids due to the lack of thier ability, it was due to the fact that SJSU was NOT somewhere that could attract those kind of kids. He can attract those kind of kids here, if he can prove he can win three, four, five wins next year. If he wins six and goes to a bowl game you will see huge gains next year in recruiting. But his staff did not have the long term connections with the higher ranked kids, so rather than reaching, he took the best kids he already had relationships with, and ones he knew fit his mold of who he wants CU football to be, kids with fire and character that he wants, and that is what he filled gaps with.

Just put a competent team on the field with competitive games and a few wins and next year will be better. four or five wins and I think low 40's to mid 50's. Six wins and a bowl game? I think he will get us into the solid 30's. Get solid 30 level kids and good coaching and it's game on baby.

Back