What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pac-10 to invite 6 Big 12 schools

Its all happening ... RT @Andy_Staples: RT @ScottDochterman: Big 12 Commissioner cancels press conference, no comments until tomorrow

Mandel's twitter.

**** CSU! I hope the coference realignment ends up putting them in the new Division 2 level of football. I would love to see their program left in the dust.

This whole conversation regarding re-alignment of conferences is about money. Teams that are included will be included because they bring revenue potential to the table, teams left out will be because their revenue potential is limited. CU is in the conversation because historically CU football revenue has been top 30 and they are the dominant college team in a top 20 media market. CU has also historically drawn good numbers on national TV broadcast and drawn good attendance on the road.

Schools like CSU and Wyoming in this situation are SOL. Even in their best years CSU has had a hard time averaging over 25k attendance and couldn't sell out a 36k stadium last year against a top 10 Cal team, in fact attendance was less than 30k. This is all despite the fact that their average ticket price is about 40% lower than CU's average price and substantially lower than virtually every major program in the country. In addition CSU has a poor history of ratings on TV as well. Total picture, they want to eat at a Broadmoor level table buy only have Texas Roadhouse money.

Wyoming is even worse in this scenerio. The have a media market that barely registers on the radar and have had trouble keeping their attendance at D1 level. If, and this seems likely, there is a complete makeover of the college football structure in this country we may see a lot of schools taking some very bitter medicine. Some schools that have had high aspirations like CSU will have their dreams shattered. Other schools that have already been part of the top tier leagues like Baylor, ISU, some of the Big East schools, etc. may find themselves dropped to lower levels.

What will be interesting is the schools who are on the margin, do they get in to the power conferences or do they end up in a new second tier status like Sun Belt schools and the MAC schools are now.

OK, first off, the majority of the schools in the Big 12 are not in Texas. A third of them are, though. Half the schools are not in either Oklahoma or Texas. When the conference first was formed, the thought was that adding in the Texas teams would be good for everybody, but they ended up sucking the life out of all of the original Big 8 save for maybe OU. And lets not fool ourselves here, if not for Bob Stoops, OU would suck just as bad as we do. OU hit the jackpot when they hired him.

Texas is a disease. A cancerous lesion. A virus. They attack healthy conferences and suck them dry. By themselves, they might not be so dangerous. Combine them with OU, OSU, Tech and A&M, they would dramatically alter the Pac 10. Bad move by the Pac, bad move for CU.

I'm hoping one of two things happen. First, this story is a load of bull and there isn't a shred of truth to it. Two, UT has too much to lose by agreeing to such a deal and decides to leverage the invite into an SEC invite and they go there.

In the end, CU is better in this scenario than they would be if they got left at the altar, but only marginally.

dude, other than CU, NU and KSU, the big 8 sucked balls in it's last days. I actually think a lot of the former Big 8 schools got better with the SWC additions.

Last edited:
replace TT with Utah and I could live with this... but still, more ****ing road trips to Oklahoma and Texas. GAH

I'm with Sacky about getting as far away from UT as possible, but if this is true CU has to take it, or else just go join the Mountain West. No other viable option, and I'd rather join a MWC with Utah, BYU, CSU, and potentially Boise State, than whatever the Big 12 leftovers can muster up.

More money, and we'll get out to the west coast(i.e. big alumni base in Cali), although with a 16 team conference I wonder how much.

Barnett said it when he left, "CU is a gold mine." McCartney said if you can just get a recruit to Boulder you have a 50/50 shot at landing him. Boulder and the CU campus will still be a unique place in a conference like this. We can be competitive with this setup, but the school is going to have to change some in it's attitude towards athletics. Facility improvements will be a must.

While I would like to get away from Texas as much as most of us, I don't really agree with sacky and can certainly swallow this pill if true. Our all time record against UT is pretty respectable and it is too easy to get blinded by the short term. CU will now be able to recruit both Texas and Cali with conference ties. Colorado has never really had a problem recruiting talent to Boulder when our program has had even half of a pulse. I for one welcome this if true, this league is going to be a monster.

20 million per year if correct is HALF our AD's current operating budget.

What the hell is with Bohn's picture?

20100603__04dcsbiw_200.jpg

Well, surprised that it might be Bohn who gets the dominoes falling :lol:

Well the Big 12 and Pac 10 did have a get together not too long ago. I guess an alliance is possibly gonna happen after all.:lol:

Who knows maybe Beebe gets to be assistant commissioner of the East Pac division as part of the deal.

Last edited:
I'm in the minority of not wanting CU to go to the Pac-10. But if this indeed ends up being true that the Pac-10 offers these 6 schools and the other 5 accepted, which they undoubtedly will, then we'd be crazy not to go. In fact, there'd be no decision to make - you go to the Pac-16. First of all the $20 mil per year revenue is too much to ignore, and secondly this whole move will essentially destroy the Big 12, or at least move it down to a MWC-type level. And none of the current Big 12 schools want that fate.

First...this isn't happening, Utah will not be left out.

Appreciate the good thoughts, but UTAH could very easily be left at the altar. We have no tradition with any of the schools being mentioned, save three: CU (old times, but it was there once), and the Arizona schools. Not enough to warrant inclusion for the UTES. Too bad, I was looking forward to being a part of this, but, que sera sera.

It would be nice if A&M followed through on their threat to go to the SEC and Utah joined the PAC in their place.

If true doesn't sound like we have much choice, go with the south schools or get left with the rejects. There are some good reasons not to like it and about 20 million a year to make it easier to stomach.

I am on board. Not perfect but neither was the Big XII. Either way, the dollars help with the athletic department woes. We may have less than Texas in terms of dollars, but this allows us to more effectively recruit CA and if we can ever figure it out again, Texas has always been a great place to pick up a recruit or 2 as well. Maybe we can take a loan against the first TV payout and buy out Hawk! LOL

I think this could be a case of "better than the alternative". Replace Tech with Kansas and I'd be a lot happier personally (basketball). Tech is needed for the Texas politics though.

There will either be equal revenue sharing, or at a minimum $20mil per year per school, or roughly more than double the current amount we're seeing yearly right now (and more than any SEC team). Not bad. So even if revenue sharing was not completely equal, it will be more than double what the schools are getting now.

I wouldn't care to see the game, but A&M vs. Cal would be an interestingly funny matchup on many levels.:wow: They'll be playing for the Politics Cup.:lol:

CU, UW, Oklahoma, Texas and USC have all won the national championship in the last 20 years. Any other conference with that claim?

The top two recruiting grounds in the country (Texas and California) would be squarely within one conference. The only way to make this work well for all is to guarantee yearly games for all teams in both Texas and Southern Cal. Has to happen for this to really work, IMO.

Instantly it's the new football powerhouse conference, surpassing even the SEC.

Or the SEC goes to 14, The Big 11 expands, those winners square off yearly for the tile. And the Pac 10 is the new MWC and CU plays Toledo yearly.

Again, maybe not ideal, but it beats the alternative, more than doubles yearly sports revenues, instantly becomes the most powerful football conference and did I mention that there is no way Texas can force its will on SoCal?

Every single football game will be televised with the new TV deal. Every single one. Always.

The next few steps will be interesting if nothing else...

Last edited:
Back