What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pac-10 to invite 6 Big 12 schools

CU, UW, Oklahoma, Texas and USC have all won the national championship in the last 20 years. Any other conference with that claim?.

yeah the SEC.. Tenn, Bama, LSU, UF and Auburn got screwed out of one..

It has some positives but the travel and the distance is going to a problem..

Not a huge fan of the Pac 10 so I'm still on the fence and holding out hope for the Big 12 to stay intact..

Don't like.

Trying to make lemonade out of lemons, I suppose the additional revenue should help us attract and retain better coaches, pay for better facilities, and bring back several varsity sports. I really, really hope this doesn't blow up in our faces. I have a very, very bad feeling about this.

On the plus side, it will widen the gap between CU and CSU. CSU is going to be left in the dust now. This is going to be really, really bad news for them.

*ebraska and Missouri will undoubtedly go to the Big 10, along with Rutgers (I still don't get this, but whatever), Pitt and ND (probably). The SEC will poach Miami, FSU, Clemson and maybe Georgia Tech and we'll have three super conferences, all of which generate freakish money. There will be, in effect, 48 D-1 schools left.

If I were KU fan, I'd be really, really pissed off. Surprising that such a solid basketball program gets left in the dust so easily.

I wonder if this isn't a shotgun approach to expansion. Seems pretty haphazard to me. I would tend to think the Pac would have thought this through a little better.

On the other hand, maybe they have and they already know who will accept and who will not.

Gah. I really hate this. This isn't what I wanted at all. I was really hopeful for a Pac 12 with CU and Utah. That was an arrangement that made sense to me.

nuclear-explosion.jpg

This would instantly make the Pac 10 (16) rival the SEC.
The Texas Tech choice is curious. I'd think Utah would be a better choice.
I don't like that Texas & OU stays around but at the same time it would be better
for Colorado than to be left behind.
Best possible thing that could happen to CU. KU, KSU, ISU, Baylor will go down the ****ter with BP. NU and MU are already going to the Big 10.
bp_headquarters..jpg

I wonder if this isn't a shotgun approach to expansion. Seems pretty haphazard to me. I would tend to think the Pac would have thought this through a little better.

On the other hand, maybe they have and they already know who will accept and who will not.

Gah. I really hate this. This isn't what I wanted at all. I was really hopeful for a Pac 12 with CU and Utah. That was an arrangement that made sense to me.

Honestly..I think we can assume that the Pac-10 knows what is going on..for months all we heard was B10 this..B10 that..and the Pac-10 was quiet..and than BAM huge news. Pac-10 and Scott played things very close to the vest..reading things about Fox Sports about to create a Pac-16 network..(Maybe just more rumors)

Don't like.

Trying to make lemonade out of lemons, I suppose the additional revenue should help us attract and retain better coaches, pay for better facilities, and bring back several varsity sports. I really, really hope this doesn't blow up in our faces. I have a very, very bad feeling about this.

On the plus side, it will widen the gap between CU and CSU. CSU is going to be left in the dust now. This is going to be really, really bad news for them.

*ebraska and Missouri will undoubtedly go to the Big 10, along with Rutgers (I still don't get this, but whatever), Pitt and ND (probably). The SEC will poach Miami, FSU, Clemson and maybe Georgia Tech and we'll have three super conferences, all of which generate freakish money. There will be, in effect, 48 D-1 schools left.

If I were KU fan, I'd be really, really pissed off. Surprising that such a solid basketball program gets left in the dust so easily.
KU will always have a top flight basketball program, the other sports will suffer. Perkins is having big problems. If KU lets him go, somebody will pick him up instantly.
Yep,it ain't fun being a KU fan after today's news.

Honestly..I think we can assume that the Pac-10 knows what is going on..for months all we heard was B10 this..B10 that..and the Pac-10 was quiet..and than BAM huge news. Pac-10 and Scott played things very close to the vest..reading things about Fox Sports about to create a Pac-16 network..(Maybe just more rumors)

Perhaps, but the TT and OSU invites are a real head scratcher. They don't bring any TV sets, and don't bring any athletic prestige, either. It could be that UT demanded TT come along and OU did the same for OSU. Still, all this talk about "academic integrity" just got thrown out the window with these invites. There's so much about this that doesn't make sense to me.

Perhaps, but the TT and OSU invites are a real head scratcher. They don't bring any TV sets, and don't bring any athletic prestige, either. It could be that UT demanded TT come along and OU did the same for OSU. Still, all this talk about "academic integrity" just got thrown out the window with these invites. There's so much about this that doesn't make sense to me.

Agree. If it is about having one school per state..than OSU and TT doesn't make sense. Who knows..maybe Kansas wants to go to the B10. Maybe Boone Pickens threw a fit and is riding on OU's coat tails..maybe there is some political pressure..

If the Pac-10 has a deadline..I think this means they have the network ready to go.. (and the estimate of 20 million per)

Here's how I'd do it-

Have 4 'pods' or divisions-

USC, UCLA, CAL, Stanford

Washington, Wazzu, OU, Oregon St

Texas, A&M, OU, Okie St

Colorado, Tex Tech (I prefer Utah) , ASU, Zona

Play all 3 every year in your 'pod'
plus play two from each other 'pod' ... one home , one away in a rotating fashion
This would leave 3 OOC games.

Winner of each 'pod' plays for right to Pac 16 Championship Game
highest ranked team hosts lowest ranked ..
example- USC #3, OU #7, Oregon #11, CU #13
USC hosts CU - OU hosts Oregon- winner goes to neutral site for Pac 16 Championship

Here would be an example Colorado schedule-

CSU - Denver
SAN JOSE ST
@ Illinois
UCLA
@ Oregon St
Texas
Arizona
@ Stanford
@ Okie St
Washington
@Asu
TEXAS TECH (or UTAH)

With a schedule like this the Pac 10 teams get their rival game plus each team get exposure in
every region each year-

I like everything about this suggestion. If this was how it worked out I would be 100% on board. You have everything I like here.

-A mini playoff and I like the higher seed teams hosting first game with neutral CCG
-Plus each team has a slightly better chance to be in a post season game (semi-final before CCG)
-We can play in LA every other year and play against a team from LA every year and we wouldn't have to play UT and OU every year
-We still get 3 OOC games which I think is VERY important. One OOC is not enough.

I LOVE THIS SCENARIO!!!:thumbsup::smile2::thumbsup:

You mean BCS schools, instead of D-1 schools, right? But even that's only factoring in current BCS status. Say the Big XII resurrects itself by cobbling together the best of the MWC and C-USA... it would be a weak football conference, but better than the Big East, and definitely BCS auto bid worthy.

There will be, in effect, 48 D-1 schools left.

I am for this, there are enough politics to keep UT in check, not control them, but keep them in check... I really like going with OU and OSU, keeping something from the old big 8 alive... When it is all said and done I think KU will squeak in for someone who doesn't go in. Other than being lucky enough to be in the state of Texas, what ties does Tech have to get the pull in? Don't worry about the rest of the Big 12 cast offs as they will join Conf USA or the MWC, whoever bids the most and can pull a BCS bid with them.

Its better to be included than left behind, but it would have been much sweeter to leave the redneck schools behind. After getting beatup by all these schools in states that have nothing but college football to live for, I was really looking forward to looking down on them from a conf with highly ranked schools in states that are kickass places to live and college football is just a bonus. I'm sick of OK and Neb grads (let alone the people who are just 'fans' because they don't have pro teams) getting a sense of superiority just because their football team is better. TX fans have a good school/city, but the rest of TX isn't a much better place to live.

Hmm, I'd actually put Florida at the top, followed by Texas, then Cali...

I don't have the numbers in front of me but Texas is way ahead of anyone else in terms of the number of players signed into D1 programs. California is second but it seems like Florida puts out a few more guys who turn into big time stars, loads of speed out of Florida at every position.

Great call on your choice of non-conference opponents! I'd love to revive the series with the Illini, which is a nod back to CU's glory days in '89 and '90. We still owe Illinois for our one loss during the title year.

Here's how I'd do it-

Have 4 'pods' or divisions-

USC, UCLA, CAL, Stanford

Washington, Wazzu, OU, Oregon St

Texas, A&M, OU, Okie St

Colorado, Tex Tech (I prefer Utah) , ASU, Zona

Play all 3 every year in your 'pod'
plus play two from each other 'pod' ... one home , one away in a rotating fashion
This would leave 3 OOC games.

Winner of each 'pod' plays for right to Pac 16 Championship Game
highest ranked team hosts lowest ranked ..
example- USC #3, OU #7, Oregon #11, CU #13
USC hosts CU - OU hosts Oregon- winner goes to neutral site for Pac 16 Championship

Here would be an example Colorado schedule-

CSU - Denver
SAN JOSE ST
@ Illinois
UCLA
@ Oregon St
Texas
Arizona
@ Stanford
@ Okie St
Washington
@Asu
TEXAS TECH (or UTAH)

With a schedule like this the Pac 10 teams get their rival game plus each team get exposure in
every region each year-

I also like the idea of 4 team divisions and rotating who you play out of the other divisions. There are a lot of possibilities with this.

I forgot to add that I would also MUCH prefer Utah over TT. But I'm afraid Texas might be demanding TT come along. If you notice ALL the other schools have another school close by them for a natural rival. CU would have...TT???!?!? That is the one thing I don't like about this. If the PAC invited Utah instead of Tech, that would make this just about perfect.

Last edited:
Link still isn't posted yet, but here's some food for thought for us...

So, if UT is part of this huge defection that takes half of the B12 to the PAC-16, AND as we all know, UT runs the B12, could we possibly use UT's power to our advantage and get the penalty fee for leaving waived? Seems to me you'd definitely have the 6 headed to the PAC vote in favor along with *ebraska and Mizzery - guess there'd just have to be some arm twisting done to one of the remaining 4 and we could maybe get to the PAC for FREE! :slayer::dance:

Does it take a 75% vote to get those fees waived? If so, I can't imagine any amount of arm twisting, short of threatening to lock a University President's daughter in a room with BCS for a weekend, that would get any school to vote to walk away from a couple years worth of conference revenue of 8 programs, to be split 4 ways. Our best bet would be that some conference wants KU for their hoops program (not all that hard to imagine) and KU would be the 9th escapee and 9th vote to waive the exit penalty...

It won't be much of a surprise if aTm goes to the SEC instead. Utah would then get the invite.

Some of y'all don't get Texas/Oklahoma politics. Let me explain how this went down.

Pac-10: "Texas, we've got Colorado on board and want you to join us to form the Pac-12."

Texas: "Well, that'd be mighty right of ya, but we have some requests. Namely, that you accept Texas A&M, Texas Tech and Oklahoma along with us. They're all rivals and UT won't stand for being out-voted by you left-coast hippies, so we want some safety in numbers. And oh, Oklahoma just told me they want Oklahoma State to come along. So we're all five a block -- I hope you understand."

So, the Pac-10, wanting to get to 12 to get that title game and needing one more after CU to get to 12, decide they want UT so bad they're willing to take the other four teams to get UT and to 16 teams. Ultimately, I think UT really wanted OU to come along, and OU insisted on OSU because the state legislature here would have ensured the pairing not be split.

That's how Tech and OSU got into this.

Some of y'all don't get Texas/Oklahoma politics. Let me explain how this went down.

Pac-10: "Texas, we've got Colorado on board and want you to join us to form the Pac-12."

Texas: "Well, that'd be mighty right of ya, but we have some requests. Namely, that you accept Texas A&M, Texas Tech and Oklahoma along with us. They're all rivals and UT won't stand for being out-voted by you left-coast hippies, so we want some safety in numbers. And oh, Oklahoma just told me they want Oklahoma State to come along. So we're all five a block -- I hope you understand."

So, the Pac-10, wanting to get to 12 to get that title game and needing one more after CU to get to 12, decide they want UT so bad they're willing to take the other four teams to get UT and to 16 teams. Ultimately, I think UT really wanted OU to come along, and OU insisted on OSU because the state legislature here would have ensured the pairing not be split.

That's how Tech and OSU got into this.

I dont doubt that happened at all but I wish the PAC would have told them to pound sand and went after UTah instead. I just don't want CU to be permanently involved with Texas or anywhere east of the Rockies. Besides, I just dont see any of these schools other than CU be a cultural fit for the PAC. This sucks, but is slightly better than the crap we have now.

It really doesn't make sense to me why UT would pressure Pac10 to bring Tech into expansion deal. There is hardly a rivalry between them (at least from UT's perspective). Hell, UT thinks of A&M as their annoying stepchild brother and A&M feels the same way towards Tech.

Back