What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pac-12 countdown

Watching Spoooooon carry the rock as an undergrad was fantastic. He was a key piece of CU's rise in the mid 80's. He was a great Buff and provided many great memories.

43 more days to go!

Buff gridiron greats that wore #43:

William Harris, RB;
Joey Johnson, LB;
Chuck McCarter, DE;
Ed Pudlik, E;
Derek Singleton, RB

No hardwood greats that wore #43 unless I'm mistaken.

On a related note, I see that the timer on the front page is for the Hawaii game. Why not use that timer for the Pac-12 countdown just like the official Utes website has and you can follow that timer as well.

FYI, I'm going to need a few days off the boards and right now we are at 42 days. Anyone can post that there is X days left until the Buffs join the Pac-12.

For instance,

Friday: 41
Saturday: 40
Sunday 39:
Monday: 38

I might be off until next Friday. CU then. :thumbsup:

FYI, I'm going to need a few days off the boards and right now we are at 42 days. Anyone can post that there is X days left until the Buffs join the Pac-12.

For instance,

Friday: 41
Saturday: 40
Sunday 39:
Monday: 38

I might be off until next Friday. CU then. :thumbsup:

I'll help take care of it while you're gone! :shakehands:
(Although I won't get Friday's up until late afternoon - got Court tomorrow. Damn day job!):angry3:

43 more days to go!

Buff gridiron greats that wore #43:

William Harris, RB;
Joey Johnson, LB;
Chuck McCarter, DE;
Ed Pudlik, E;
Derek Singleton, RB

No hardwood greats that wore #43 unless I'm mistaken.

Better add Speedy to that list. Gotta feeling this is going to be a huge year for him. 43 frosh yr.

41 days to go ...

Buffs who have worn No. 41:

John Farler, RB, three-year letter winner, 1965-67
Bo Matthews, FB, three-year letter winner, 1971-73
Tennyson McCarty, TE, four-year letter winner, 1994-97
Ted Somerville, RB, three-year letter winner, 1961, 1963-64
Ward Walsh, FB, three-year letter winner, 1968-70

You can win a few free drinks (and I have) with this bar bet: Which Buff was drafted higher than any other in Colorado history?

Bo Matthews was taken as the 2nd overall pick in the 1974 NFL Draft by the San Diego Chargers*.

The pick of Matthews came as a surprise. Matthews was not only not an All-American in his days at Colorado, he wasn't even a first-team All-Big Eight player. His career numbers at Colorado (285 rushes for 1,339 yards and nine touchdowns) were good, but not great. Charlie Davis, Matthews' teammate, finished his career the same year as Matthews, with 2,958 yards (then a CU record) and 24 touchdowns. In 1973, Matthews finished third on the team in rushing (with 488 yards), behind Charlie Davis (646 yards) and Billy Waddy (551 yards).

Matthews did go on to have an eight year NFL career, with San Diego (1974-79), the N.Y. Giants (1980-81) and Miami (1981).

*For some real trivia: Who was taken as the No. 1 overall pick in the 1974 NFL Draft?
Answer: Ed "Too Tall" Jones, by the Dallas Cowboys

Additional 1974 draft trivia ... Four Hall-of-Famers came out of that draft: WR Lynn Swann (1st round; 21st pick, Pittsburgh); Dave Casper (2nd round; 45th pick, Oakland); LB Jack Lambert (2nd round; 46th pick, Pittsburgh); and WR John Stallworth (4th round, 82nd pick, Pittsburgh) ... a magical draft for the Steelers!

Last edited:
Time for those Buffs who wore No. 40 ...

George Lewark, DB/SE, three-year letter winner, 1964-66
Emory Moorhead, WB, three-year letter winner, 1974-76
Barry Remington, LB, four-year letter winner, 1982, 1984-86
Brad Jones, LB, four-year letter winner, 2005-08

You could make a case for three of the four ...

Moorhead was a stellar tight end for the Buffs in the mid-70's, catching 40 balls for 751 yards and four touchdowns (his yardage total was fourth all-time on the Colorado list at the time). Moorhead was taken in the sixth round of the 1977 NFL draft by the N.Y. Giants (the sixth of nine Buffs drafted that year), and had a 12-year career in the NFL, earning a Super Bowl ring with the Chicago Bears in 1985.

Jones was a consistent player for the Buffs, racking up 242 tackles in his Colorado career. Jones was the only Buff taken in the 2009 NFL draft, going to the Green Bay Packers in the seventh round. Brown, along with kicker Mason Crosby, earned a Super Bowl ring this past season.

My vote, though, goes to Barry Remington. One of those "stay-at-home" Buffs in 1982 (Remington was a Boulder-Fairview product), Remington went on to become (and remain) the Buffs' all-time leading tackler. Remington posted 493 tackles in his career, including 245 unassisted tackles (For me, the Remington moment which will forever be etched in my memory is his interception against Nebraska in the 1986 game. The Buffs were up, 20-10, late, but the Cornhuskers were driving. Remington's interception with 3:14 remaining sealed the win, ensuring one of the greatest victories in Colorado history ... http://www.cuatthegame.com/1986/3-nebraska-20-10-the-mother-of-all-games/)

:gobuffs:

39 days to go!

CU greats who wore No. 39 ...

Jeff Brunner, NT, three-year letter winner, 1990, 1991-93
Kevin Eberhart, K, four-year letter winner, 2003-07
James Mayberry, TB, four-year letter winner, 1975-78
Willie Nichols, SE, three-year letter winner, 1969-71
Tom Stone, TE, three-year letter winner, 1986-88

For over 15 years, James Mayberry was the No. 2 man on the all-time rushing list, behind only Charlie Davis. Mayberry had 2,544 career yards on 546 carries, with 25 touchdowns. Mayberry was an honorable mention All-American in 1977, and was taken by the Atlanta Falcons in the third round of the 1977 draft (No. 75 pick overall). Mayberry's injury-plagued NFL career lasted only three years, however, all with Atlanta (1979-81).

38 days to go to the Pac-12.

Colorado players who wore No. 38 include:

LB/P Steve Doolittle
FB Guy Egging
WB Billy Waddy

How's about the 37's?

Here are two CU players who wore the No. 37 in their career:

Rick Stearns DE/LB
Marcus Washington CB/FS

Is Rick Stearns any relation to John 'bad dude" Stearns

They're brothers. John, who went on to become an all-star for the New York Mets, played safety/punter for the Buffs (1970-72), while bother Rick was a defensive end from 1972-74.
The Stearns' came to Boulder from Thomas Jefferson high in Denver.

Down to No. 36 ...

Dick Robert, P - three-year letter winner, 1968-70
Bob Spicer, OG - four-year letter winner (and WWII vet), 1942, 1946-48. Spicer played guard at 6'0", 190 pounds ...
Ryan Sutter (yes, that Ryan Sutter) FS - three-year letter winner, 1995-97

The list at No. 35 is pretty short ...

Jeff Hornberger, RB, two-year letter winner, 1977-78, 98 carries, 418 yards, no touchdowns
Rod Perry, DB, two-year letter winner, 1973-74, four interceptions, including one returned for a touchdown
Ted Woods, RB, two-year letter winner, 1960-61, 171 carries, 769 yards, four touchdowns. Woods led the team in rushing in 1961 (525 yards) when the Buffs went 9-2 and went to the Orange Bowl.

The list at No. 35 is pretty short ...

Jeff Hornberger, RB, two-year letter winner, 1977-78, 98 carries, 418 yards, no touchdowns
Rod Perry, DB, two-year letter winner, 1973-74, four interceptions, including one returned for a touchdown
Ted Woods, RB, two-year letter winner, 1960-61, 171 carries, 769 yards, four touchdowns. Woods led the team in rushing in 1961 (525 yards) when the Buffs went 9-2 and went to the Orange Bowl.

Hardcourt greats that wore 35: Shaun Vandiver. :thumbsup:

Harcourt greats that wore 34:

Stephane Pelle

Pelle was an underrated player for us. versatile, team player, who did actually improve during his time at CU. did a lot of little things that Morandais and Harrison really didn't do....play D, give 100% when he didn't have the ball in RP's go one on 4 to the rim or jack a 3 early in the shot clock O, etc.

Last edited:
http://www.cubuffs.com/fls/600/foot...55-356.pdf?SPSID=62928&SPID=255&DB_OEM_ID=600

Gridiron greats that wore 34:

Jack Becker, RB;
Chad Brown, LB;
Sam Smith, RB;
Bill Symons, RB;

Harcourt greats that wore 34:

Stephane Pelle

Chad Brown was a first-team All-Big Eight linebacker for the Buffs in 1991 and 1992, and second-team All-American in 1992.
When Brown graduated, he was fourth on the all-time tackle list, with 369. His 14 sacks placed him in the top ten in that category, as did his 38 tackles-for-loss.

Brown was selected in the 2nd round of the 1995 NFL draft by Pittsburgh (44th pick overall).
Brown enjoyed a 15-year NFL career, and was an All-Pro selection for Pittsburgh (1996) and Seattle (1998-99).

One of the best! :thumbsup:

There have been a number of players who have worn No. 33 for the Buffs ...

George Adams - RB
Brandon Drumm - FB
Don Evans - RB/P
Dane Graves - QB
Bill Harris - RB
James Hill - RB
Erich Kissick - RB
Tom Nigbur - RB
Tom Perry - LB
Maurice Reilly - RB

Out of all of the running backs, the most successful was Bill Harris, who ran for 1,486 career yards and ten touchdowns between 1961-63. Harris led the Buffs in rushing in 1962 with 582 yards.
Second on the list would be Erich Kissick, who ran for 1,297 career yards and eight touchdowns between 1986-89.

Buffalo Bill Harris. Is he still with the AD?

harris_bill.jpg

Last edited:
Brandon Drumm the Alaskan Assassin. Several 01 Nebraska linebackers still wake up screaming in the night with images of #33 coming for them.

Back