What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pac-12 Going Global - $$$ for tv rights only the domestic part

I think they love their fellow countrymen far more than they love the sport. There´s no to little connection to the teams/schools and I guess you have to be a HUGE geek to be seriously interested in college hoops and baseball if you have no to little connection.

They want to see Yao Ming, Dice K and Ichiro.

Actually during the Olympics NBC did a story on basketball in china. The top selling shoes and jerseys were all American. Yao came in 5th or something. They showed how nike was really getting into China. (this time to sell not to make :lol:) It was quite interesting. I'm not sure on baseball in Japan but I've heard they love the former MLB guys when they come over.

They do watch their own though so if the Pac-12 breaks into China then I'd love to see Tad pull some players out of there just for the exposure.

I think they love their fellow countrymen far more than they love the sport. There´s no to little connection to the teams/schools and I guess you have to be a HUGE geek to be seriously interested in college hoops and baseball if you have no to little connection.

They want to see Yao Ming, Dice K and Ichiro.

Except for maybe March Madness I can´t see any college sport being any kind of draw internationally. The whole College athletics concept is unique to the US and I think you have to be a HUGE geek if you watch college hoops and baseball in addition to the pros as a foreigner with little to no connection to the schools or the players.

Actually during the Olympics NBC did a story on basketball in china. The top selling shoes and jerseys were all American. Yao came in 5th or something. They showed how nike was really getting into China. (this time to sell not to make :lol:) It was quite interesting. I'm not sure on baseball in Japan but I've heard they love the former MLB guys when they come over.

They do watch their own though so if the Pac-12 breaks into China then I'd love to see Tad pull some players out of there just for the exposure.

I know this isn't exactly current but nba.com has a list of bestselling jerseys from the mid 2000s. American players indeed dominate the top 5. I think there could be a place for Pac-12 basketball over there.

http://www.nba.com/news/chinajerseys.html

Except, CU will have a vote in those talks.... no?

of course and its not like it would be a texas-centric league... we(being the pac-12) would be the established force WITH AN ALREADY STRONG economic base of markets and ad revenue, unlike when Texas took over the big12 Texas Brought the Tv's with them, with the pac10 as it stands has Los Angeles,San Diego, San Fran. Oakland. Seattle Phoenix Portland, and are adding Denver and Salt Lake City, Texas Shouldnt be able to dominate this league like they Did the Big 12.

of course and its not like it would be a texas-centric league... we(being the pac-12) would be the established force WITH AN ALREADY STRONG economic base of markets and ad revenue, unlike when Texas took over the big12 Texas Brought the Tv's with them, with the pac10 as it stands has Los Angeles,San Diego, San Fran. Oakland. Seattle Phoenix Portland, and are adding Denver and Salt Lake City, Texas Shouldnt be able to dominate this league like they Did the Big 12.

Don't even let them have the chance. We need to stay as far away from those jackasses as is humanly possible. They are a cancer.

best part is, we no longer have to take a bunch of texas droppings if they do come in. no baylor's texas tech's etc.

Definitely. That's why Scott is so brilliant. In the US all anyone thinks about are the football and men's basketball rights, the networks don't want anything else. So, Scott is going to sell the stuff that no one here wants to a market that might.

Scott did a very good job with the WTA, but still, I think the only market in which College athletics can catch some significant money is the US.

Remember the cheers guys like Kobe and Dirk got during the opening ceremony? It´s all about the pros and the NBA does a damn decent job of marketing the Kobes and Lebrons.

Internationally, it´s all about the pros tho.

Scott did a very good job with the WTA, but still, I think the only market in which College athletics can catch some significant money is the US.

Remember the cheers guys like Kobe and Dirk got during the opening ceremony? It´s all about the pros and the NBA does a damn decent job of marketing the Kobes and Lebrons.

agreed, but if can pull in an extra million or two per school in international tv revenue, that would be awesome. just icing on the cake.

I think you're correct in some respect that Yao put all the eyes on the NBA, and then the other personalities gained more personality. So, it would certainly help if some future stars of the Pac-12 (in whatever sport) came from Asia or have strong Asian heritage.

who gives a ****???

we are going to be BIG IN JAPAN, baby!

we are an international machine!

:woot:

china? they'll steal our ****ing playbooks.

And reprint them with lead based ink...on the bright side they can put the hawkisms on fortune cookies and make millions...ie . Get your horns out and you will be rewarded

I think you're correct in some respect that Yao put all the eyes on the NBA, and then the other personalities gained more personality. So, it would certainly help if some future stars of the Pac-12 (in whatever sport) came from Asia or have strong Asian heritage.

Yup, although I wonder if it´s politically possible to get a guy out of China to play college ball in the States. Wasn´t it a political nightmare to get Yao and that other guy into the NBA? And while I am admittedly not all that clued up about junior baseball in Japan, I see that Ichiro first was with a professional team at age 19. Why would a young kid from Japan go play college in the States if he can get better training and getting paid for doing so in Japan?

As I said, the whole college athletics thing is unique to the States and while it works just fine in what basically is a closed economy like football with the natural HS -> College -> NFL progression, it ain´t quite that simple in most other sports where you have several roads to the pros. Isn´t it generally seen as a negative in baseball when a player decides to play college ball instead of joining a team´s farm system straight out of HS?

yeah, well they said soccer would never catch on in the US either.

Perhaps that's a bad example.

OK, next sport to add for CU AD:

Men's and Women's Ping Pong!

[video=youtube;lrp-FT51zPE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrp-FT51zPE[/video]

What's interesting is that the stuff that we'll see a lot on the Pac-12 Network (golf, tennis, soccer, volleyball, gymnastics, swimming/diving, track & field, skiing, wrestling, baseball/softball, etc.) is stuff that we won't ever get ESPN to pay millions for domestically. But those sports are what really allow the Pac-12 to brand itself as the "Conference of Champions". Those sports are popular in Asia where they couldn't care less about football. I think we will be pleasantly surprised at how much this ends up being worth.

I have been thinking about what sports CU will be adding soon besides baseball.

I think men's tennis will be brought back. What about gymnastics and wrestling? That might be a prime oppournity to erase the memories of that dark day back in 1980.

2025 rugby champs, too!

Yeah -- good luck with that:

NCAA Rugby National Championships:
1980 California, runner-up Air Force
1981 California, runner-up Harvard
1982 California, runner-up Life College
1983 California, runner-up Air Force
1984 Harvard, runner-up Colorado
1985 California, runner-up Maryland
1986 California, runner-up Dartmouth
1987 San Diego State, runner-up Air Force
1988 California, runner-up Dartmouth
1989 Air Force, runner-up Penn State
1990 Air Force, runner-up Army
1991 California, runner-up Army
1992 California, runner-up Army
1993 California, runner-up Air Force
1994 California, runner-up Navy
1995 California, runner-up Air Force
1996 California, runner-up Penn State
1997 – California 41, Penn State 15
1998 - California 34 Stanford 15
1999 - California 36 Penn State 5
2000 - California 62 Wyoming 16
2001 - California 86 Penn State 11
2002 - California 43 Utah 22
2003 - Air Force 45 Harvard 37
2004 - California 46 Cal Poly 24
2005 – California 44, Utah 7
2006 – California 29, BYU 26
2007 – California 37, BYU 7
2008 – California 59, BYU 7
2009 – BYU 25, California 22
2010 - California 19, BYU 7

I have been thinking about what sports CU will be adding soon besides baseball.

I think men's tennis will be brought back. What about gymnastics and wrestling? That might be a prime oppournity to erase the memories of that dark day back in 1980.

Boulder's profile as a running Mecca would only improve. Perhapse bicycling, both mountain and road, would get folded under the Pac 12 umbrella. Boulder has instant credibility here.

Who knows how aggressively CU pursues other bread and butter Olympic sports like gymnastics and figure skating, hockey, diving, swimming, and sprints.

Boulder's profile as a running Mecca would only improve. Perhapse bicycling, both mountain and road, would get folded under the Pac 12 umbrella. Boulder has instant credibility here.

Who knows how aggressively CU pursues other bread and butter Olympic sports like gymnastics and figure skating, hockey, diving, swimming, and sprints.

if the new rec center gets funded, my money is on swimming.

Yeah -- good luck with that:

NCAA Rugby National Championships:
1980 California, runner-up Air Force
1981 California, runner-up Harvard
1982 California, runner-up Life College
1983 California, runner-up Air Force
1984 Harvard, runner-up Colorado
1985 California, runner-up Maryland
1986 California, runner-up Dartmouth
1987 San Diego State, runner-up Air Force
1988 California, runner-up Dartmouth
1989 Air Force, runner-up Penn State
1990 Air Force, runner-up Army
1991 California, runner-up Army
1992 California, runner-up Army
1993 California, runner-up Air Force
1994 California, runner-up Navy
1995 California, runner-up Air Force
1996 California, runner-up Penn State
1997 – California 41, Penn State 15
1998 - California 34 Stanford 15
1999 - California 36 Penn State 5
2000 - California 62 Wyoming 16
2001 - California 86 Penn State 11
2002 - California 43 Utah 22
2003 - Air Force 45 Harvard 37
2004 - California 46 Cal Poly 24
2005 – California 44, Utah 7
2006 – California 29, BYU 26
2007 – California 37, BYU 7
2008 – California 59, BYU 7
2009 – BYU 25, California 22
2010 - California 19, BYU 7

man, talk about over-sensitive...

besides, don't you guys treat rugby as a varsity sport and give schollies to players? and don't you have paid, professional coaching? meanwhile, pretty much the rest of the college world has rugby as a club sport only? i mean, that's like bragging because the harlem globe trotters can beat the washington generals. mark me down as "impressed" at your domination of student-organized, non-scholarship competitors.

It's a varsity sport at Cal but they don't give schollies. There are a few schools out there where it is club but they are able to offer limited schollies or in-state tuition. Cal definitely has certain advantages but other schools have their own unique advantages too. BYU recruiting 25 year olds from New Zealand and South Africa doesn't exactly make it level either.

Oh and CU actually made it to the Final 4 a couple years ago. With USA Rugby located in Boulder, we should really be one of the top teams.

man, talk about over-sensitive...

besides, don't you guys treat rugby as a varsity sport and give schollies to players? and don't you have paid, professional coaching? meanwhile, pretty much the rest of the college world has rugby as a club sport only? i mean, that's like bragging because the harlem globe trotters can beat the washington generals. mark me down as "impressed" at your domination of student-organized, non-scholarship competitors.

It was intended more as a friendly rejoinder -- we obviously take a lot of pride in that team here (particularly up to and until we go back to the Rose Bowl). I haven't been here that long yet but it seems like maybe rugby is to Cal as ski team is to Colorado...

As NorCalBuff said, no schollies. It is a varsity sport though. It was almost demoted a "varsity/club hybrid sport" (whatever that is) in our Athletic Departments recent cutbacks (not for financial reasons, it's fully endowed) for Title IX reasons but was saved (as was our baseball team, which almost went away completely).

It was intended more as a friendly rejoinder -- we obviously take a lot of pride in that team here (particularly up to and until we go back to the Rose Bowl). I haven't been here that long yet but it seems like maybe rugby is to Cal as ski team is to Colorado...

As NorCalBuff said, no schollies. It is a varsity sport though. It was almost demoted a "varsity/club hybrid sport" (whatever that is) in our Athletic Departments recent cutbacks (not for financial reasons, it's fully endowed) for Title IX reasons but was saved (as was our baseball team, which almost went away completely).

Yeah schools have had to do some weird things to get some of the men's team sports around Title IX. BYU has turned their men's soccer team into a semi-pro team and no longer plays in the NCAA, though the use of the team to provide international visibility to the church may have also been a factor in that decision.

by the way, congrats on saving the baseball team. i followed that story since i live in nocal and i was hoping you guys would find a way. one interesting thing i learned from the events was that your athletic department is "subsidized" by the school to the tune of 5mm a year and that school officials are hoping to phase out that subsidy within 3 years. this was an interesting contrast to me, because CU has to be "self-sufficient" and any money it gets from the school, it has to pay back, with interest. basically, CUAD has to run a profit without any help. that's one of the big reasons we have so few sports compared to many major conference schools. it seems to me that, with all the budget cutbacks, things are moving toward the self-sufficiency model across the board, and you guys are now well-positioned to succeed in the new order, given all that recently transpired. the 9mm endowment to baseball is a perfect example of how things are going to have to get done in the future. i wish CU had the commitment to investing in sports that some other schools have, but i am very glad we are headed to the p12 and a whole new level of tv money. that should help.

anyhow, a bit of an aside... looking forward to many years of competition and hopefully someday we will have a baseball team again.

As much as all you (and me) hate Texas, they're an absolute cash cow and would be a huge asset to have in a revenue sharing conference. It would benefit CU to have Texas in the Pac16, they just need to come in knowing they're nothing but another school.

You will never get a single Texan to admit that Texas is "just another school" That be like getting them to call football just a game

Back