What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pac-12 hires MGM's George Kliavkoff to replace Larry Scott as commissioner

Living outside of the footprint, the major issues with DTV IMO is that just about every bar has DTV so they can get Sunday ticket. This makes it impossible to find a place to watch a P12 game in public, and eliminates the opportunity to get new viewers who are watching whatever’s on at the bar.
thank you -- that's a really good point. I was dubious over the importance of DTV to the Pac12, but this may be the most relevant point about why it is that I've encountered.

Ah ok. Seems easily fixable to me, the networks manage to televise a thousand overlapping games during March Madness but I suppose that’s an issue with the media deals then.
Well, yeah, in March Madness, they have overlapping games (staggered) on CBS, TruTV, TNT, and TBS. College football doing that would be like having overlapping games on Fox, FS1, and FS2, or ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, which is currently how it's set up for the most part.

This discussion is talking about the fact that the Noon ET big network (Fox/ABC) nationally televised time slot is a non starter for Pac 12 games (both conference, individual programs and the networks agree) because nobody out West is tuning in that early for the conference's best matchup.

Why is there no chance games would be played at 10am local? I would think teams and the conference would prefer that all day long over playing at 8pm local, especially if it means it’s on a network other than Pac12. If we’re not getting exposure because the conference refuses to play games at 10am then that’s a monumental mistake.

It seems to me the problem is that there are only so many games that can be aired in good time slots on good networks and the Pac12 product isn’t compelling enough and our media deal doesn’t have enough prime slots allocated.

Im still failing to see how being in certain time zones makes really any difference at all. Why could all our games be played either at 10am PT or 1:00 PT?

JFC, why is this so hard to understand? Networks want evening games and are willing to pay for them. Nobody is going to start playing a game at 10:00 p.m., or even 9:00 p.m., which leaves teams on the west coast as the only options for providing this content. The late games aren't aired on Pac 12, they are usually on an ESPN network or FS1.

Well, yeah, in March Madness, they have overlapping games (staggered) on CBS, TruTV, TNT, and TBS. College football doing that would be like having overlapping games on Fox, FS1, and FS2, or ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, which is currently how it's set up for the most part.

This discussion is talking about the fact that the Noon ET big network (Fox/ABC) nationally televised time slot is a non starter for Pac 12 games (both conference, individual programs and the networks agree) because nobody out West is tuning in that early for the conference's best matchup.
The Big Noon Kickoff I get, that’s a challenge, but I’d much rather see the PAC12 playing 11 or 12:00 games on FS1 than 8:00pm games on Pac12.

JFC, why is this so hard to understand? Networks want evening games and are willing to pay for them. Nobody is going to start playing a game at 10:00 p.m., or even 9:00 p.m., which leaves teams on the west coast as the only options for providing this content. The late games aren't aired on Pac 12, they are usually on an ESPN network or FS1.
Pac12 after dark is on Pac12 is it not? And are you saying you like the 8pm PT kickoffs because we’re the only conference who can fill that 11pm ET slot?

Pac12 after dark is on Pac12 is it not? And are you saying you like the 8pm PT kickoffs because we’re the only conference who can fill that time slot?

Pac 12 after dark is a talk show, no? What I'm saying is that you had better get used to 8:30 p.m. MT games because that's where the TV people who pay the bills want the games. Here's a link to last season's TV schedule, and here's a representative Saturday:

1641498440333.png

The fact is that those 7:00 and 7:30 p.m. games were only on national networks because they didn't have to compete with other games from other conferences.

Pac 12 after dark is a talk show, no? What I'm saying is that you had better get used to 8:30 p.m. MT games because that's where the TV people who pay the bills want the games. Here's a link to last season's TV schedule, and here's a representative Saturday:

View attachment 49172

The fact is that those 7:00 and 7:30 p.m. games were only on national networks because they didn't have to compete with other games from other conferences.
And what I’m saying is that the TV people want them in those slots, not because of time zones but because no one on the east coast gives a s**t about Pac12 football. At 11pm eastern they don’t have to compete with other games, they can compete with COPS reruns and My 600lb Life.

And what I’m saying is that the TV people want them in those slots, not because of time zones but because no one on the east coast gives a s**t about Pac12 football. At 11pm eastern they don’t have to compete with other games, they can compete with COPS reruns and My 600lb Life.

Are you seriously trying to argue that FoxSports and ESPN don't want college football content that begins after 9:00 p.m. eastern? That what they really want is to show reruns of cornhole championships? I guarantee that if they couldn't sell ads for those games, they wouldn't schedule them. All your whining is never going to change the fact that the sports networks want to air CFB games in the evening and that west coast teams are the only ones that can provide that programming.

Are you seriously trying to argue that FoxSports and ESPN don't want college football content that begins after 9:00 p.m. eastern? That what they really want is to show reruns of cornhole championships? I guarantee that if they couldn't sell ads for those games, they wouldn't schedule them. All your whining is never going to change the fact that the sports networks want to air CFB games in the evening and that west coast teams are the only ones that can provide that programming.
No, I’m arguing that FoxSports and ESPN probably realize that:

1) People on the east coast don’t give a s**t about Pac12 football, and
2) They’re not going to get big ratings for a football game that kicks off after 10pm

So might as well throw Pac12 on super late and if that outperforms cornhole on the west coast then great.

No, I’m arguing that FoxSports and ESPN probably realize that:

1) People on the east coast don’t give a s**t about Pac12 football, and
2) They’re not going to get big ratings for a football game that kicks off after 10pm

So might as well throw Pac12 on super late and if that outperforms cornhole on the west coast then great.
The money they pay to show those games seems to undermine your argument.

Kliavkoff was on Finebaum today and gave a great interview. He was straightforward and transparent on the Pac12's failings, didn't sugarcoat it. Here's a clip of his take on NIL

Pittsburgh GIF by Mike Hitt

Back