What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

It sure sound like the AZ president thinks the money will be there. Paraphrasing, he basically said if the difference is only a couple million less per year then it isn't worth moving over.
Once thing someone brought up is whether the conference is on the hook for production costs for Apple or Amazon content and if so, how much that might eat into the media payout.

3 reasons the money would have to be much better for Pac teams to jump to the big 12

1. pac has a guaranteed playoff spot.
2. all games in the new tv deal will be available every week even if only by streaming to everyone.
3. academic and cultural fit now.

if the Pac stays unified, we all win. and no truck stops required.

3 reasons the money would have to be much better for Pac teams to jump to the big 12

2. all games in the new tv deal will be available every week even if only by streaming to everyone.

Also, there's significant savings on travel expenses for all sports across the AD. Irrelevant if this was just football, but it's quite disruptive for other sports

Also, there's significant savings on travel expenses for all sports across the AD. Irrelevant if this was just football, but it's quite disruptive for other sports

Plus CU lives to keep hope alive that it will either be rolled into the Big-10 on the next go around. If CU enters Hotel California (B12) there is no leaving with their 99 year GOR.

Plus CU lives to keep hope alive that it will either be rolled into the Big-10 on the next go around. If CU enters Hotel California (B12) there is no leaving with their 99 year GOR.
Everything about that 99 year GOR seems pretty flimsy, tbh. Or at least, not prohibitive enough to not jump to the B1G no matter what if invited

That GOR is a huge deal.

I definitely think that the goal is B1G.

I suspect that the backup plan is creation of a new conference that's got ACC-PAC as its foundation.

And the Big 12 would still have television rights to the exiting team’s games.
No. That’s the ACC media GOR. This 99 year be GOR with the Big 12 is not a media GOR. It’s just a pact between the teams to stay together.
Isn't it that you forfeit your final 2 years of B12 revenues?
Yes. But if you’re talking about the B1G and $80m in revenue vs $31m, it’s not prohibitive.

The GOR is not 99 years. The 99 year number being thrown around related to the breakup fee not the GOR.

Edit: already clarified in the thread.

Heading back into the time machine and 10+ years ago. The only reason the Pac 10 didn't take Texas at that time was because of the Longhorn Network. In 2024 the Longhorn Network will be dead

If only the Pac 10 took CU, Utah, Texas, A&M, OU, OSU .... the world would be a much different place today

Hell even a few years later - Texas & OU were still interested

Another Larry Scott Special

Ideal scenario and one I think most people are sleeping on. I’m probably naive in saying this but seeing everything he is doing and building at CU, essentially creating something from scratch in his image, it’s hard to imagine him leaving as long as we provide the money and resources, AND have access to the playoff.
As long as he’s the coach, we will have access to the playoffs.

Given the rumors that Amazon is out of the negotiations I’m not sure this is relevant, but when I turned on the TV in my hotel room tonight, Amazon Prime was a channel in the guide. I’m not sure how new this is given that I’ve not turned on a TV in a hotel room in years, but I found it interesting with respect to exposure

Given the rumors that Amazon is out of the negotiations I’m not sure this is relevant, but when I turned on the TV in my hotel room tonight, Amazon Prime was a channel in the guide. I’m not sure how new this is given that I’ve not turned on a TV in a hotel room in years, but I found it interesting with respect to exposure
Whenever I’ve seen those, you have to use your login.

The P12 seems have finally seems to have tweaked to the fact they were getting killed in public perception by the B12’s rumor campaign and finally got some messaging out in the last week or so.

There is no 99 year GOR.

There are two obstacles to leaving the Big 12 conference: an exit fee and the GOR.

First, the exit fee. The Big 12 bylaws requires their membership to join the conference for a 99-year period. If a team leaves during before this period is over, they have to pay an exit fee. Texas and Oklahoma signed this agreement and were bound for that time frame, they were on the hook for their exit fees and were ultimately able to negotiate a reduction and release. On paper, the penalty for leaving before the 99-year period is over is the equivalent of two years of distributions from the conference. A steep fee, but the ACC's is steeper. And not so burdensome that moving is impossible if the B1G or SEC come calling.

Second, the GOR. The GOR is separate from the 99-year membership agreement, it has nothing to do with it, no one in the Big 12 has committed to a 99-year GOR. The grant of rights is harder item to negotiate on because it grants the ownership of a teams media rights to the conference which then sells them to media partners. The GOR does not prevent a program from moving from one conference to another so much as it makes the act of moving completely uneconomical. Texas and OU could've moved to the SEC years ago, but all their home games and media rights would be pocketed by the Big 12 conference. If you are moving jobs, but your paycheck is going to your last employer, why move? The Big 12's GOR runs for the term of the Big 12's media deal. 10 years, 6 years, 5 years, however long that media deal runs, the GOR is in place. The ACC is currently stuck in a very long GOR which so far has proved nearly impenetrable. Texas and OU were only able to negotiate a one-year reprieve on the GOR through an involved process of interested parties looking to get the deal done. Absent approval from Texas, OU, the Big 12, ESPN, Fox, the SEC, and CBS, that move doesn't happen.

There is no 99 year GOR.

There are two obstacles to leaving the Big 12 conference: an exit fee and the GOR.

First, the exit fee. The Big 12 bylaws requires their membership to join the conference for a 99-year period. If a team leaves during before this period is over, they have to pay an exit fee. Texas and Oklahoma signed this agreement and were bound for that time frame, they were on the hook for their exit fees and were ultimately able to negotiate a reduction and release. On paper, the penalty for leaving before the 99-year period is over is the equivalent of two years of distributions from the conference. A steep fee, but the ACC's is steeper. And not so burdensome that moving is impossible if the B1G or SEC come calling.

Second, the GOR. The GOR is separate from the 99-year membership agreement, it has nothing to do with it, no one in the Big 12 has committed to a 99-year GOR. The grant of rights is harder item to negotiate on because it grants the ownership of a teams media rights to the conference which then sells them to media partners. The GOR does not prevent a program from moving from one conference to another so much as it makes the act of moving completely uneconomical. Texas and OU could've moved to the SEC years ago, but all their home games and media rights would be pocketed by the Big 12 conference. If you are moving jobs, but your paycheck is going to your last employer, why move? The Big 12's GOR runs for the term of the Big 12's media deal. 10 years, 6 years, 5 years, however long that media deal runs, the GOR is in place. The ACC is currently stuck in a very long GOR which so far has proved nearly impenetrable. Texas and OU were only able to negotiate a one-year reprieve on the GOR through an involved process of interested parties looking to get the deal done. Absent approval from Texas, OU, the Big 12, ESPN, Fox, the SEC, and CBS, that move doesn't happen.
The More You Know Nbc GIF by For(bes) The Culture

Right. Which is why CU shouldn't join the Big 12 unless they negotiate an out in the GOR, especially because the B1G's next expansion will be at least one year before the Big 12's GOR expires. The exit fee is manageable, assuming any distribution from the B1G to CU would be significantly more what the distribution is from the Big 12.

But, if the TV deal from the Pac 12 can be within $2-$3m/year of the Big 12's it makes more sense to stay and for the GOR to expire before the Big 12's GOR.

There is no 99 year GOR.

TLDR

**** women sacrificing bailer.

Big 12 athletic directors believe their "all-in" number -- including revenue from the College Football Playoff, bowl games and the NCAA Tournament -- will be around $50 million annually in the new deal.

"I still think our number is going to be more than 50," said Robbins.

That might the first time that claim has been made in the Pac-12.

"I know what the Big 12's number is," Robbins added. "I just need to hear what the Pac-12's number is. Then I can make a decision."

Candid interview. Lots of nuggets.

Back