What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pac 12 network / direct tv (PACN now on fuboTV streaming)

I totally understand the frustrations with Larry Scott. I just can't bring myself to go there. In my mind, he is so central to CU leading the PAC-10 expansion that I don't get much beyond that when I think about him. He has been a good commissioner for CU -- especially when compared to how Big 12 commissioners operated.

Does anyone know if the Black Bear Diner carries Pac-12 Network games? They sure advertise enough during Buffs games, though I've never eaten there, never really heard of it, and wouldn't know where the hell to even look for it, because they don't tell you in the ad where they are.

Does anyone know if the Black Bear Diner carries Pac-12 Network games? They sure advertise enough during Buffs games, though I've never eaten there, never really heard of it, and wouldn't know where the hell to even look for it, because they don't tell you in the ad where they are.
They aren't a sports bar. No TV's, so no Pac-12.

Colorado Springs. Decent. Can't remember if they even had a tv when I went.

Pretty sure I ate at one in Napa. Aren't they a california chain?

There is a bar in Longmont called The Pumphouse that is a DTV subscriber that shows everything you described above. They now also show all the Pac12 channels. So a work around does exist.
They didn't used to, though. I cornered Dennis at Rotary one day and told him he needed to get the P12 Network. You can thank me for that.

They didn't used to, though. I cornered Dennis at Rotary one day and told him he needed to get the P12 Network. You can thank me for that.

Thanks! I watched the ASU game there (post funeral). I eat there weekly after soccer or basketball practice

Quick question to you living in the Denver area with Dish. Do you get the Pac 12 Mountain? I only get, I think, the national feed. So, I don't get any of the Colorado stuff unless it's on the National. I'm getting really pissed off at Dish because their "Customer Service" reps don't know jack ****. And why would they? Their sport is cricket or badminton.

Quick question to you living in the Denver area with Dish. Do you get the Pac 12 Mountain? I only get, I think, the national feed. So, I don't get any of the Colorado stuff unless it's on the National. I'm getting really pissed off at Dish because their "Customer Service" reps don't know jack ****. And why would they? Their sport is cricket or badminton.
You only get the national channel plus some alternate channels for overflow games. You will get all live games with dish. They do not carry the regionals. You can watch all the regionals on pac12.com.
When a game is aired on one of the regional channels and not the national channel the game will be available on one of the alt. channels on dish. If you want to watch the other programming on one of the regionals you're going to have to use your ipad.

Last edited:
Anybody else struggle with buffering speed on Sling? Was brutal for me trying to watch Stanford game. Haven't had that issue as much with the Pac-12 now app

I agree about the Black Bear Diner. Someone needs to reach this guy some marketing skills. He never a says where his diner is and has absolutely zero contact info. A huge waste of money as I know I would go there to support a main advertiser of the Pac12 network.

I switched internet providers yesterday and when I was cancelling to my cable provider, the Frontier Rep, used to be Verizon Wireless, kept trying me to switch everything to them. I told her that if they carried the Pac12 network I would consider it. Her reply, "oh". I made sure to repeat it and told her to use this as the reason I was switching, that I was supporting the one local carrier that gives me the PAC.

Anybody else struggle with buffering speed on Sling? Was brutal for me trying to watch Stanford game. Haven't had that issue as much with the Pac-12 now app
I am. Live, the game was fine. On replay and now, with other shows, I'm getting a lot of problems. I switch over to Netflix immediately, and there are no problems, so I think it is Sling. Under 'settings', Sling has a choice of input, so you might try that. I'm going to try it for a month or so.

Go Buffs

I am. Live, the game was fine. On replay and now, with other shows, I'm getting a lot of problems. I switch over to Netflix immediately, and there are no problems, so I think it is Sling. Under 'settings', Sling has a choice of input, so you might try that. I'm going to try it for a month or so.

Go Buffs

I'll bet it's growing pains. Their backbone is probably being taxed by all the people switching to save money. A friend of mine who still works for dish on the dish hardware install side just laid another round of people off. That tells me they are being hurt by cord cutters while lower margin sling grows.

You only get the national channel plus some alternate channels for overflow games. You will get all live games with dish. They do not carry the regionals. You can watch all the regionals on pac12.com.
When a game is aired on one of the regional channels and not the national channel the game will be available on one of the alt. channels on dish. If you want to watch the other programming on one of the regionals you're going to have to use your ipad.
I figured that. This really pisses me off. According to Dish, it is a provider's prerogative. They are required to show at least one but they can show any or all if they so chose.

I figured that. This really pisses me off. According to Dish, it is a provider's prerogative. They are required to show at least one but they can show any or all if they so chose.

Buy a computer with an HDMI connection and hook it up to your TV (and quit your bitching). Or get an AppleTV, hook it to your TV, and AirPlay the P12 event from your ipad to your TV(and quit your bitching).

Buy a computer with an HDMI connection and hook it up to your TV (and quit your bitching). Or get an AppleTV, hook it to your TV, and AirPlay the P12 event from your ipad to your TV(and quit your bitching).
Yeah. But you can't set to record stuff.

This notion that Scott is doing a bad job because he cannot come to a deal with the DTV is misinformed and to complain at this point is just a waste of energy. I think he has made a lot of mistakes, more than people ding him for even. But if one wanted to blame Scott for no DTV, it would go back to the formation of the P12 network. To get the cable companies on board (and dish quickly after), he agreed they would always get the 'best rate' and not undercut them to get latecomers (ie DTV) signed up. This was important to ensure startup costs were paid for, and it may have been necessary to even get the cable companies on board. I have no idea what exactly was brought up in the initial meetings with Comcast and TWC, but I can guarantee that if those two companies didn't bring the guaranteed money and partnerships to the table to begin with, the network would not have gotten off the ground in it's current form.

As we can see now, it very well may be that the best move for the Pac-12 would have been to partner with a company like ESPN or Fox to get greater distribution, and reduce risks on costs. However, we don't actually know if they were interested. The ACC and Big 12 had similar national ratings to the Pac 12 (TV wise), and do not have networks today (The ACC's is coming in some form soon). The ACC's partnership with ESPN at the time was for a 'digital network', ie ESPN3, which doesn't exactly make headlines, or have the upside potential that the P12N has. I do feel the conference could have received more money from ESPN to do a similar thing - there is value in the 40 P12 football games withheld yearly for the current P12N. ESPN simply would have streamed them on ESPN3, which requires a subscription to ESPN... and they could do this for a smaller cost (especially with out all the extra events/studios/etc on the P12N as currently implemented).

The major issue with meeting DTV's demand now would be that the P12 Networks is pretty expensive cost wise compared with revenue. If you believe Wilner and his deductions from the P12 tax returns, the yearly costs are in the $80-100 million range with revenue slightly higher at $100-120 million. The difference being whatever gives each of the 12 schools a check for $1.5 - 2 million. Now say the in market rate is currently $.80/sub, and DTV is offering $.50/sub. Guess what... the P12 has to match that rate for Comcast, Dish, and TWC/Charter resulting in a huge hit to the revenue side, which would push the network in to actually losing money.

So yes, the P12 is backed into a corner. But would it even exist if the original terms were different? The bottom line is that it does exist, and there's absolutely no wiggle room with DTV. It's pretty much a take it or leave it offer at this point, because the network would not exist anymore at DTV's terms. BTW, I pay Comcast a ton of money each money for cable, and if it weren't for sports, college football/basketball in particular, I would have cut the cord a long time ago. So they (comcast and other cable companies) know exactly what they are doing. For those saying the P12 is in a better position in a future of cord cutting by owning their own network, that is somewhat of a misnomer too. The big money is still in the primary TV contract, which will decrease significantly if too many cut the cord. The conference networks are really scraps packaged together for some extra money.

Has it occurred to anyone that maybe DTV doesnt want the Pac12 Network at all?

The CEO of AT&T's Entertainment group, John Stankey, earned his MBA from UCLA. The Directv headquarters is in El Segundo, which is located in between the USC and UCLA campuses. There must be a few USC and UCLA grads roaming the halls that want the Pac-12 Network. It's baffling the two parties can't agree on price.

DTV made a gamble that it could use NFL Sunday Ticket to retain coveted live sports viewers in the PAC footprint. Whenever customers called to cancel due to lack of PAC carriage, DTV offered free Sunday Ticket. The average PAC viewer undercut the PAC carriage rate by choosing (and continuing to choose) NFL over CFB. DTV being in CA and having the pulse of the CA market made a very informed decision.

Larry Scott is not responsible for DTV holding out on the PAC due to a high price point . DTV subscribers who stayed with DTV despite the lack of PAC carriage are responsible for undercutting a price point that was acceptable to all other major carriers..

DTV made a gamble that it could use NFL Sunday Ticket to retain coveted live sports viewers in the PAC footprint. Whenever customers called to cancel due to lack of PAC carriage, DTV offered free Sunday Ticket. The average PAC viewer undercut the PAC carriage rate by choosing (and continuing to choose) NFL over CFB. DTV being in CA and having the pulse of the CA market made a very informed decision.

Larry Scott is not responsible for DTV holding out on the PAC due to a high price point . DTV subscribers who stayed with DTV despite the lack of PAC carriage are responsible for undercutting a price point that was acceptable to all other major carriers..

And now their whinning like a bunch of stuck little ****s because they have to choose. Wah wah wah wah!

I have completely given up on this matter. **** scott and **** dtv. I will continue to spend my $ finding other ways to watch my beloved Buffs.

I've never understood the appeal of NFL Sunday Ticket. If you want to watch all games, any local or chain pub has DTV for you. Seems like an awful lot of money to get that for your home. And you're paying for it with DTV even if you get it "free" or don't watch sports. DTV is priced at the top of the market.

I've never understood the appeal of NFL Sunday Ticket. If you want to watch all games, any local or chain pub has DTV for you. Seems like an awful lot of money to get that for your home. And you're paying for it with DTV even if you get it "free" or don't watch sports. DTV is priced at the top of the market.
My gf is a huge Packers fan, and we are lucky they get the max 5 prime time games every year and are on the regional broadcast at least 5-6 other times. However, that leaves 5-6 games a year where she wants to go to a place that gets the game. That means sitting in a restaurant/bar for 3 hours, drinking beers and eating. For the two of us to do that, after tip, you're looking at at least $70-$80. The Sunday Ticket is $300 for the entire season. Even if you only use it 3 or 4 times, it's cheaper than the alternative.

The only reason we don't have DirectTV and the Ticket is because I refuse to give up Pac 12 Network.

Make her watch Redzone. If she never sees the Pack on it, it's because Rodgers is losing his touch, so she can blame him.

My gf is a huge Packers fan, and we are lucky they get the max 5 prime time games every year and are on the regional broadcast at least 5-6 other times. However, that leaves 5-6 games a year where she wants to go to a place that gets the game. That means sitting in a restaurant/bar for 3 hours, drinking beers and eating. For the two of us to do that, after tip, you're looking at at least $70-$80. The Sunday Ticket is $300 for the entire season. Even if you only use it 3 or 4 times, it's cheaper than the alternative.

The only reason we don't have DirectTV and the Ticket is because I refuse to give up Pac 12 Network.

A cheaper and healthier alternative than a restaurant/bar for watching Sunday Ticket is to watch a game at a fitness club, which has DirecTV and Sunday Ticket (e.g. 24 Hour Fitness). Since I already pay for gym membership, there's no additional cost and you get to work out, rather than pig out, during the game. No angry bartenders saying "are you going to order anything else, or just sit there for the next two hours?" so you feel obligated to get another plate of chicken wings.

A cheaper and healthier alternative than a restaurant/bar for watching Sunday Ticket is to watch a game at a fitness club, which has DirecTV and Sunday Ticket (e.g. 24 Hour Fitness). Since I already pay for gym membership, there's no additional cost and you get to work out, rather than pig out, during the game. No angry bartenders saying "are you going to order anything else, or just sit there for the next two hours?" so you feel obligated to get another plate of chicken wings.

Ban?

Re: the regional Pac-12 networks and Dish - my dad has the hopper, and he never misses a game of any kind. He can see every basketball game, soccer game, etc. I don't know if that means he gets the entire Pac-12 mountain, but he gets what he wants out of it.

Me, I don't have the hopper, so I only get the national feed. My dad got the hopper for free when he switched over from comcast a couple of years ago. Since I've only been a Dish customer since 2001, I would have to pony up to get the hopper. ****ing marketing ****s.

And that's assuming that you live near an establishment that shows every game, you're willing to put up with obnoxious/drunk people, you don't care to listen to your specific game, and one of you stays sober (and you pay for parking) or you pay for a ride both ways.

Also, there's a little business called Fantasy sports that a couple people like.

Stay strong, Tshek - I also went with Dish, but the struggle is definitely real.

Back